Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Nov 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3687998)   #26
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...although they do seem to be updating some of the pit buildings over the winter at Dijon....let's hope it does not lose its historic feel...
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 14 Nov 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3687999)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
...although they do seem to be updating some of the pit buildings over the winter at Dijon....let's hope it does not lose its historic feel...
Maybe building pit garages that a car will fit in?

And the local department have had the temerity no finish the dual-carriageway by-pass so we don't have to truck through the town any more. How dare they!
Old 14 Nov 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3688000)   #28
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 15 Nov 2016, 08:06 (Ref:3688181)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised no one has mentioned the least messed about and proper circuit in the world ?Most historics seem to be really at home on as well.The Nordscleife ! No,it is no more dangerous than any other circuit but it doesnt suit those drivers who do not respect those circuit limit lines😂
Old 15 Nov 2016, 09:24 (Ref:3688202)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the least messed about and proper circuit in the world ?Most historics seem to be really at home on as well.The Nordscleife ! No,it is no more dangerous than any other circuit but it doesnt suit those drivers who do not respect those circuit limit lines😂
Hey Terence, You've now mentioned it! (I'll let you off the typo )

But what about all the newly introduced safety zones we hear about at the 'Ring, or are they only for certain categories of cars?
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3688227)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't necessarily agree that is no more dangerous than any other circuit.

Unless you were being sarcastic!!

If you know it and know what's coming it's fine, but to drive on the limit there in something old needs a secure knowledge and trust of your safety equipment and that you are prepared to severely damage the car you are driving as in some places there are literally feet of run off room until you hit a barrier.

Having said that, the barriers are likely to be very good, as they are frequently replaced, especially in some areas!!

In my mind the fatality there was caused by a little inexperience from a driver not knowing what might happen in certain scenarios at the place the car launched. An awful amount of racing has happened there with far less and more capable cars over many decades and though there were incidents there, nothing like this. A brake dab or confidence lift would maybe have resolved it.

Since then there were speed restrictions but I believe they have been eased or even lifted totally now, and of course lower powered cars would never get close to them anyway. Mainly there to restrict the speed an possibly take off ability of the quickest GT cars.

But when you see some of the tourist crashes there, you see very clearly that people never learn, never treat certain areas of it with respect. So how can you expect the same percentage of race drivers not to.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3688248)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because race drivers have a different mindset for one reason.Unlike a lotvof TF people who simply must beat Clarksons 9:59 or the like.Shame beeb didnt tell how much instruction JC had had beforehand instead of making it seem like it was a first attempt.
Speed limit for racing has long gone but the 130kph for TF still stands as always.
The recent double fatallitie was due to the driver not seeing/ignoring double yellow flashing lights and carrying on at unabated speed into a blind high speed left.Had it of been dry there could have been a slim chance both would still be able to tell the tale.
However,when you consider the amount of race laps over a season in relation to incidents,I think that puts it more into perspective reasoning.
Disrespect any circuit and it could bite hard.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3688252)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hey Terence, You've now mentioned it! (I'll let you off the typo )

But what about all the newly introduced safety zones we hear about at the 'Ring, or are they only for certain categories of cars?
Sorry about the H Mike.
Safety zones are just areas of more fia catch fencing.
Flugplatz is slightly flattened out,hasnt sorted out "air"problems for some cars though😁
What it has done is encourage some to try the long right hander flat now though.Possible in most but the few dont like it much.
I know of a lot of roads in the area that are far more of a risk than the Ring,but not hard to imagine because it was all laid out by the same people.Some roads here have absolutely zero run off.6
Old 15 Nov 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3688263)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot people blame Clarkson for the spate of incidents and that is true.

But he did also make the place incredible popular again, especially for Brits.

Whether that is a good thing or not I will leave up to you, but it put the place into peoples psyche at the least.

When I went I didn't hear anyone talking about lap times, more about the general awesomeness of the place!
Old 15 Nov 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3688299)   #35
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not so sure on JC helping make it more popular.Had a lot of clients this year from all over the world who had never heard of him!One thing that has helped(in promotion terms) is video games.Which dont help real life at all!
Old 16 Nov 2016, 07:58 (Ref:3688437)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I disagree actually, they help to some extent.

They certainly helped me, I knew my way around when I went there, and if you are sensible still they are a great aid for learning the layout and the places where you can get into trouble.

I realise some folk blindly think they know how to drive there from racing there on a console with a joypad, but in all honesty, natural selection etc?

I think simply that JC bought the place into peoples consciousness in the UK more than it already was. They did love the place for a few years before turning against it a little on Top Gear.
Old 16 Nov 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3688499)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Try driving fast enough and you can get into trouble anywhere.X box and the like show the dozens of surface changes?length of straights or gradients?No,I didnt think so 😁
Old 16 Nov 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3688658)   #38
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I learned a few circuits on video game before we went. Trouble was it was old video, and I tried to turn left at the first chicane at Monza

Also at the Ring, it's a lot easier on the PC than in real life. The straights are longer and you get time for a breather. Plus there's a big green line to follow and red bits for braking.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3689353)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If only they let us lot use the Ascari Circuit in Souhern Spain

Perfect circuit for old cars of any description and has to be one of best anywhere.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3689371)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
If only they let us lot use the Ascari Circuit in Souhern Spain

Perfect circuit for old cars of any description and has to be one of best anywhere.
Woo Hooo spot the spelling mistake . Way you go John
Old 19 Nov 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3689392)   #41
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Woo Hooo spot the spelling mistake . Way you go John
Spotted!

It's spelt as pronounced as Estuary English spoken by the majority of the migrants on the coast near the circuit.

Good excuse .
Old 20 Nov 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3689678)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I learned a few circuits on video game before we went. Trouble was it was old video, and I tried to turn left at the first chicane at Monza

Also at the Ring, it's a lot easier on the PC than in real life. The straights are longer and you get time for a breather. Plus there's a big green line to follow and red bits for braking.
Ah,you have that one as well.We have a similat one at work.Quite funny to watch some customers using it.Its surprising how many ignore the red or green lines though.Just standong behind them,you tell them they are going much too fast for the next corner then vanish just before they crash😂Thats the best time to choose your next client.😂😂