Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3642935)   #26
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't know..but it will happen sometime, bit like the youngest to win a race last Sunday?
Old 19 May 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3642966)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's too early to write Fred off, both him and Jenson have done well with what they have
Old 19 May 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3642974)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
rate him highly of course but a couple of years makes a huge difference in the life of an athlete.

when is the last time a driver won a title over the age of 35?
1996 and 2004
Old 19 May 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3642982)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
rate him highly of course but a couple of years makes a huge difference in the life of an athlete.

It would be interesting to see how many drivers of that age have been in positions to really fight for the title (in a truly competitive car). In short, which teams at the top will go with older drivers vs. rolling the dice with the new hotshot? I really have no idea what the answer is. Kimi is really the only example this year if you feel anyone other than Mercedes has a real shot.

I sometimes tend to think that there is a strong tendency in F1 to chase the next "greatest ever" vs. going with known quantities. Of course that is not a hard rule otherwise someone like Alonso, Button, Massa and Kimi wouldn't have drives today.

Richard
Old 19 May 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3642989)   #30
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

At the age of 35, we have Schumacher and Lauda. Amongst the over 35s, there is Hill (both father and son), Mansell and Prost, but out in front is Fangio at 46.
Old 19 May 2016, 21:14 (Ref:3642995)   #31
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
At the age of 35, we have Schumacher and Lauda. Amongst the over 35s, there is Hill (both father and son), Mansell and Prost, but out in front is Fangio at 46.
I had not realized Damon was that old when he won his championship. I just looked it up and he was 32 +/- when he started F1! Can we see anyone really starting F1 after 30 these days?

Richard
Old 19 May 2016, 23:01 (Ref:3643022)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I had not realized Damon was that old when he won his championship. I just looked it up and he was 32 +/- when he started F1! Can we see anyone really starting F1 after 30 these days?

Richard
It is all circumstantial surely?
Old 19 May 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3643025)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It would be interesting to see how many drivers of that age have been in positions to really fight for the title (in a truly competitive car)....
most recently, Barri was 36-37 i believe in his Brawn.

looking just at the post 90's over 35 title winners mentioned, i think its fair to say they enjoyed a car advantage, which merc would certainly provide.

also, Hill and Schumi had somewhat willing team mates which would be the bigger issue at merc.

so yeah its circumstantial in a sense, driver of the right age in the right car and team atmosphere...which is kind of always the case.

Fangio at 46...now thats really amazing.
Old 20 May 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3643035)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Richard
Chanoch Nissany... was 42 when he ran first practice in Hungary for Minardi in 2005...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 May 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3643160)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Chanoch Nissany... was 42 when he ran first practice in Hungary for Minardi in 2005...
Indeed....

I think you only have to look at a driver like Lotterer and think that if he was in the right car he could easily challenger for the title and he's, what, mid 30's now?
Old 20 May 2016, 08:53 (Ref:3643163)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Richard
The way things are going these days anyone out of their teens will stand no chance.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:03 (Ref:3643183)   #37
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I rate Alonso still. Give him the equipment he is ruthless. I cannot seeing LH wanting him in a Merc as a team mate.
Quite right, 2007 again, neither driver will want that
Old 20 May 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3643193)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I rate Alonso still. Give him the equipment he is ruthless. I cannot seeing LH wanting him in a Merc as a team mate.
Massively off-topic, but isn't this a measure of what type of chap that Button is. No matter whom he has been partnered with so far, he has always enjoyed a fairly harmonious relationship with the other driver. The only time that I can recall he displayed any animosity was when Hamilton punted him off in Canada when he was leading (I think).

He is no slouch, almost as good at thinking on the fly as the Professor, and a loyal member (and ambassador for) his team. And, seemingly, an all round nice guy.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3643195)   #39
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Massively off-topic, but isn't this a measure of what type of chap that Button is. No matter whom he has been partnered with so far, he has always enjoyed a fairly harmonious relationship with the other driver. The only time that I can recall he displayed any animosity was when Hamilton punted him off in Canada when he was leading (I think).

He is no slouch, almost as good at thinking on the fly as the Professor, and a loyal member (and ambassador for) his team. And, seemingly, an all round nice guy.
I agree Mike, this is totally off topic! (No, only joking).
I too am highly impressed by Button. He (generally) seems to just calmly get on with the job and deliver. A number of people talk down his World Championship because his car was supposedly far superior than any other, but he still beat his team mate in the same machine, and he IS a World Champion.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3643211)   #40
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
To continue off-topic, people often also overlook the fact that Button is (I believe) the only person ever to beat Hamilton over the balance of a season.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3643234)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I agree Mike, this is totally off topic! (No, only joking).
I too am highly impressed by Button. He (generally) seems to just calmly get on with the job and deliver. A number of people talk down his World Championship because his car was supposedly far superior than any other, but he still beat his team mate in the same machine, and he IS a World Champion.
Ah! But of course Viv, he is the only person to win a World Championship driving a vastly superior car. That's never happened before or since ..........
............. has it?
Old 20 May 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3643235)   #42
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! But of course Viv, he is the only person to win a World Championship driving a vastly superior car. That's never happened before or since ..........
............. has it?
Well spotted Baub, sharp as a pointy thing as usual!
Old 20 May 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3643236)   #43
bauble
Veteran

England
Massively off topic? Why in the Spanish Grand Prix thread, some bloke is on about racing saloons fifty years ago at Brands Hatch! How's that for a giant leap for mankind?
Old 21 May 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3643444)   #44
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I still believe"nice guys" don't win multiple championships in this present era. You have to not care for anyone/anything and work for yourself only. Vettel, Alonso and Schumi come to mind.
Jenson, I like, and is a sponsors dream. Respectable, won't break the rules type..
Old 27 Nov 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3691528)   #45
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Well done lad. Smashed that whinging pom haha
Old 27 Nov 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3691571)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those were some excellent donuts!

https://my.mixtape.moe/viyxwh.mp4
Old 27 Nov 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3691578)   #47
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Well done lad. Smashed that whinging pom haha
Try to keep it classy. Hamilton is probably the most talented driver of his generation, but Nico put together a champion's season. Praising one doesn't have to mean slating the other.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 00:01 (Ref:3691592)   #48
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow 4 full pages for the champ

hats off tho, what he lacked in talent, he sure as hell made up for with work, nothing but respect for his campaign. an out and out professional guy.

He's just not one who puts you at the edge of your seat, I fail to get to excited about anything he does. Maybe I would prefer ballsy fierce champion who , when his teammate is posting midfielder laptimes in a world-beater car, goes there and pulls a move that commands respect. a move that says: if holding me up is the most you can do, then get off the road, im the champion...not happening with Nico I affraid.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:31 (Ref:3691678)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
wow 4 full pages for the champ

hats off tho, what he lacked in talent, he sure as hell made up for with work, nothing but respect for his campaign. an out and out professional guy.

He's just not one who puts you at the edge of your seat, I fail to get to excited about anything he does. Maybe I would prefer ballsy fierce champion who , when his teammate is posting midfielder laptimes in a world-beater car, goes there and pulls a move that commands respect. a move that says: if holding me up is the most you can do, then get off the road, im the champion...not happening with Nico I affraid.
Someone a bit like his Dad then?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3691723)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Try to keep it classy. Hamilton is probably the most talented driver of his generation, but Nico put together a champion's season. Praising one doesn't have to mean slating the other.
Very good sentiment, unfortunately some people are just without class aren't they ....
Closed Thread