Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3692106)   #1
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2017 Competition Licence Changes

Has anyone come across this yet in next year's regs?

Quote:
Q9.1.1. Any Driver competing in a Single Seat Racing Car, 0.5bhp/kg or greater (excluding driver weight), must be the holder of a Race National ‘A’ licence, as a minimum, with the exception of a Championship which has been authorised by MSA to set an alternative qualification.
Q9.1.2. Any Driver competing in a vehicle of 0.34bhp/kg or higher (excluding driver weight) and measured at the driven wheels, with the exception of single seaters as detailed in 9.1.1 above, must be the holder of a Race National ‘A’ licence, as a minimum.’
In practice it probably won't affect many people but it seems to have slipped in pretty much unheralded. Will anyone here be affected?
Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3692120)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I posted that 10 days ago on the Calendar thread and it was completely ignored- which hopefully means that no-one on here is affected, or no-one reads my posts!!!!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3692129)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
impossible to police . . . . and if you were going to do that then It should be lower . . . . that's considerably higher than most novice spec race cars ? and certainly most historics.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3692151)   #4
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a step in a sensible direction to me. To take a specific example from the historics, I guess it rules out a Lola T70 on a National B? Lotus 23B will be close.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3692155)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
This is how HSCC have approached the subject-

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/MSA_In...lification.pdf
Old 29 Nov 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3692172)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't download the document to my phone but I expect you can guess my view of this - long overdue!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Nov 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3692193)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I can't download the document to my phone but I expect you can guess my view of this - long overdue!

Rather than try and apply the rule to individual cars, HSCC are applying minimum licence requirements to their individual championships. Simple!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3692953)   #8
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Joe said though - it's impossible to police this is many series.

There are an awful lot (the majority I suggest) of championships/series where you are not required to declare any kind of power or weight for your car, so how do they intend to police it? Agreed that certain cars built to a known spec can generally be accepted as having a (more or less) certain power-to-weight ratio, but what about the rest (majority) of us?

Most of us who go club racing have cars that are unique to us, built to a given spec, and I would say there are a fair few of us who don't even know our car's power-to-weight ratio.

I have a car that's awaiting rebuild that's close to the limit for this rule. If, when I rebuild it, I either give it A) a bit more power, or B) a bit less weight, then it could end up over the limit. But who's gonna know? The series it races in doesn't require any such declaration of power/weight.

So, whilst I don't necessarily disagree with the rule in principle, I think it could be implemented in a better way and aimed at people with limited experience of such cars. After all, there are plenty out there who've raced cars with this much power for years, and know how to handle them - why should everyone suddenly be penalised and forced to fork out yet more money for an arbitrary licence upgrade?

I say, if it must be enforced, then apply the rule to newcomers with limited experience, similar to the current black/yellow cross sticker. It could be extended further if deemed necessary, maybe to around ten races initially, perhaps with a further five showing proof of finishing whilst driving something with power-to-weight above a certain point, but below the point required for the new rule - thus proving they've raced something reasonably powerful before being let loose in the really quick cars.

I agree it's a good idea to stop little rich kid Johnny going out and buying himself something with 500 horsepower as his first racecar when he gets his ARDS test at 17, I don't think it's right to penalise experienced racers in this manner. It's just putting yet another barrier in the way of racing - as if there aren't enough already!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3693018)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blimey all that administration! I'd rather just pay the extra £34 and pass on. It's not perfect but it at least sends out a message.

Old 5 Dec 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3693996)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Has anyone come across this yet in next year's regs?

In practice it probably won't affect many people but it seems to have slipped in pretty much unheralded. Will anyone here be affected?

I've known about it since 7 July, as it was determined at the Motorsports Council meeting on 6 June, and I'm signed up to receive newsletters by email from MSA.........I'd strongly recommend any active competitors to do this.....and of course actually to read them........
Old 6 Dec 2016, 06:28 (Ref:3694085)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I've known about it since 7 July, as it was determined at the Motorsports Council meeting on 6 June, and I'm signed up to receive newsletters by email from MSA.........I'd strongly recommend any active competitors to do this.....and of course actually to read them........
Yes, it was announced and discussed during the season, but like a lot of things, likely got put at the back of many peoples memory banks until became an actual requirement!

Better to be told twice or three times than not at all......
Old 6 Dec 2016, 08:04 (Ref:3694106)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the HSCC have got it spot on, hopefully other clubs will follow.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3694135)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I think the HSCC have got it spot on, hopefully other clubs will follow.
Agree....
Old 6 Dec 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3694142)   #14
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto!