Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3693107)   #26
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=ascarracinguk;3693064]WOW.....are you a pshycic or do you have insider info on what lewis wants....

I think he might be a psychic. Or indeed, as you surmise, a pshycic. What is the difference..?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3693110)   #27
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=chris bailey;3693107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
WOW.....are you a pshycic or do you have insider info on what lewis wants....

I think he might be a psychic. Or indeed, as you surmise, a pshycic. What is the difference..?
my bad speeling haha :-p
Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3693113)   #28
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The top teams don't need the money so I am not sure that even Mercedes can buy drivers out of their contracts, so I am going for Perez..

FI always need the money, and Mercedes let's say wrote off any existing bills (should there be any) and offer 2017 engines for free and a cash sum to buy Perez out -plus FI keeps Perez sponsor money for 2017- VJM will bite their arm off.
Of course VJ would bite their arm off because for Merc that would be an awful deal. With Ocon, FIF1 get a discounted rate for 2017 already. Engine deals are rumored to be £20M plus, Perez allegedly brings £10m. Is Sergio worth £30m? No, that's Hamilton money.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3693116)   #29
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about Mercedes swapping Hamilton for Vettel & then promoting Wehlein. A full German team!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3693118)   #30
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Well,

Mercedes is in no rush.

A few days/weeks of waiting won't make any difference at all.
A drivers who is free now, will still be free then.
A driver who has a contract that can be bought, will still have that then.

Mercedes will take its time to get their answers to a few questions:

Q1: Do we believe Wehrlein can do the job?
Pros: probably a highly motivated 2nd driver, he gets the chance of his lifetime
Cons: will probably cost us points
Pros: probably less stress for driver management
Doubt: past promotions worked nicely for Hamilton (McLaren), Raikkonen (Ferrari), Verstappen (Red Bull), Ricciardo (Red Bull), Vettel (Red Bull), ... but not so much for Perez (McLaren), Kovalainen (McLaren), Kvyat (Red Bull), ...
Doubt: will this motivate Hamilton, or does he need someone to push him?
Pros: easiest option, cost-effective

Q2: If not Werhlein, what about Ocon:
Pros/Cons/Doubt: almost same as Q1
Cons: Need to make a deal with Force India
Cons: Even less race experience then Werhlein

Q3: Alonso/Verstappen/Vettel/Raikkonen/Ricciardo
* can we even get them?
* probably expensive
* will this unsettle Hamilton?
* even more overtime on team/driver management?

Q4: Button/Massa
* retired
* would they be 100% motivated?
* are they a better option than Werhlein/Ocon
* will they push Hamilton enough to keep him in top form?

Q5: Perez/Grosjean/Sainz/...
* probably easier to get them out of their contract
* probably highly motived
* plenty of race experience
* never won a race
* probably easier on team/driver management
* are they a better option than Wehrlein or Ocon?
* will they push Hamilton enough to keep him in top form?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3693120)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I don't think Mercedes is going to pander to LH's wishes and get an inexperienced sub-standard driver. I'm sure that they are going to aim for the top of the heap type drivers like Max, Fernando and Seb
I don't believe that Lewis would want to partner with a "sub standard" team mate, what makes you think that ???
Old 2 Dec 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3693121)   #32
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya is kicking around without a full time drive......perhaps this is the top seat that he always coveted......I bet Bernie could get involved for the right big name driver to get big viewing figures in south america.....Montoya-Hamilton.....that would be a royal ding-dong and then some!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3693123)   #33
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I don't believe that either.
Furthermore, I think Mercedes will make the driver choice and don't need Lewis' assistance for that.

A consideration for them may be that a slightly less proven driver (i.e no race wins) but with enough race experience (Perez/Sainz/Grosjean/Bottas) may not be as challenging to Lewis early on, thus keep the driver management easy; yet be good enough to pick up lots of points and ready to win when Lewis (or his car stumbles).
Maybe that would be a nice change for the team itself.

Such choice would hardly be sub-standard IMO.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3693126)   #34
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Montoya is kicking around without a full time drive......perhaps this is the top seat that he always coveted......I bet Bernie could get involved for the right big name driver to get big viewing figures in south america.....Montoya-Hamilton.....that would be a royal ding-dong and then some!
Wow! That would be an interesting combination. Yeah, there would be fireworks there. Although, it's unlikely to happen, what with Monty being in IndyCar and looking happy there. I suspect that he'd probably have difficulty going back to F1.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:29 (Ref:3693138)   #35
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Mercedes could do a lot worse than giving Andre Lotterer a call,he may have the time and the interest as well as some ability.A twelve month contract would buy some time to develop a long term solution and he is hardly unknown in Japan.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3693158)   #36
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I think Mercedes could do a lot worse than giving Andre Lotterer a call,he may have the time and the interest as well as some ability.A twelve month contract would buy some time to develop a long term solution and he is hardly unknown in Japan.
After Audi exit, Lotterer has already switched to Porsche LMP1 WEC next year. I doubt he would have been on the Mercedes short list anyhow.

Richard
Old 2 Dec 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3693160)   #37
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If they want a solution for 1 season Button is the man.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3693161)   #38
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is absolutely inconceivable that it will be anyone other than Wehrlein.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3693175)   #39
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

My bet is we don't see a decision this side of Christmas and then it will be a youngster, not an established star.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3693178)   #40
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Montoya would have to go on a crash diet to get back into an F1 car.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3693182)   #41
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please Mercedes, give it to Alonso.

He is the only driver truly capable of taking it to Hamilton in every area. Speed,
race craft, mental strength, self belief and experience. He's ready right now and has been for the past 10 years.

Verstappen needs one more season......
Old 2 Dec 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3693188)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i doubt anyone really knows who it will be at the moment even mercedes, but it is fun speculating, vettel must be high on the list as he and Ferrari are not on good terms at the moment, and as said he is German and experienced.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3693190)   #43
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the names mooted are hillarious. Button, Montoya...really? Merc will want someone motivated.

Get Ricciardo, Alonso or Verstappen in there to mess with Hamilton who IS mentally weak when things don't go his way. Verstappen is defo not available though. Alonso and Vettel would be I think.

Not sure if Vettel could challenge Hamilton. He needs a perfect car for him to be brilliant. He has become erratic and somewhat inconsistent. He'll retire in a year or two I think.

Bottas and Kimi are second string and no match for Hamilton.

Any of the Merc juniors would be destroyed before their careers even start so forget them for now.

I feel it'll be Bottas with Pascal W to Williams with a sweetened engine deal.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3693192)   #44
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No ALONSO !!!! We need to see who's the best before Fernando retires.

F1 needs Ali vs Frazier, Borg vs McEnroe, Senna vs Prost.

Sort it Bernie and gets bums on seats
Old 2 Dec 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3693197)   #45
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
You just made my mouth water a bit...
Old 2 Dec 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3693199)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Montoya would probably take Lammers' record away
Old 2 Dec 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3693210)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple of out there names especially as I doubt that Mercedes would be looking as closely as other teams at sponsorship and drivers wallets so how about.

Ant Davidson
Former WEC champion and has F1 race experience
Has a current Super Licence
Already on a Mercedes contract
Is already working on developing the 2017 car as Mercedes simulator driver (all the correlation you want there)
2 questions
1... would he want another crack at F1,
2... is his body up to driving and not just simulating a single seater

Paul di Resta
current superlicence
3 years of relatively recent F1 race experience
Mercedes DTM contract
Questions
Never raced a hybrid (his time was in v8s) but would be familiar as Williams reserve driver.
Would he stand up for himself, in his time at Force India he seemed to be lead by the team into poor choices.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 22:55 (Ref:3693216)   #48
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all - brilliant for him. Fantastic. A bright guy, way too bright for F1, I never got the feeling he 100% wanted to be there due to his brain bandwidth to do so much more than just drive for a living - and he won the World Championship. Clearly a superbly sharp man - an expert in physics, multiple languages etc.

I can't think of someone in sport, recently, who won the ultimate prize in his prime, and moved on.

Such an intelligent move. Retiring at the top, getting out of what is just a sport bubble, at the age of 31 - love it.

Now, it'll be Pascal, imo.

May I just say Lewis' camp, predictably, was classless in his PR reply (like most motorsport PR it won't even have been his words, but his PR Manager writing it entirely)
Old 2 Dec 2016, 23:29 (Ref:3693219)   #49
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
First of all - brilliant for him. Fantastic. A bright guy, way too bright for F1, I never got the feeling he 100% wanted to be there due to his brain bandwidth to do so much more than just drive for a living - and he won the World Championship. Clearly a superbly sharp man - an expert in physics, multiple languages etc.

I can't think of someone in sport, recently, who won the ultimate prize in his prime, and moved on.

Such an intelligent move. Retiring at the top, getting out of what is just a sport bubble, at the age of 31 - love it.

Now, it'll be Pascal, imo.

May I just say Lewis' camp, predictably, was classless in his PR reply (like most motorsport PR it won't even have been his words, but his PR Manager writing it entirely)
Agreed, you've got to respect the strength it takes to make a decision like this.

As for who gets the second seat, I'm holding out for the 0.001% of Felix Rosenqvist getting it..
Old 2 Dec 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3693220)   #50
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Talk over this "scoop" then!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formul...rnando-9382299