Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 17 Sep 2003, 02:14 (Ref:721381)   #1
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steering Wheel

Not being a serious gamer I would be interested to know do you people use a steering wheel or if not what ? I have bought and tried the Microsoft Wheel with pedals and was a little disappointed. What do you suggest - a logitec possibly ? or do you use playstation hand controllers, I have seen them for the pc.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 06:58 (Ref:721501)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
depends on the game.

I use a Logitech MOMO Force. £89.99 in PC World. They're becoming very rare, but it's arguably the best (i think it's the best anyway)
Old 17 Sep 2003, 07:24 (Ref:721519)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm MOMO Force user as well. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better (not that I've tried many). If you can find one, you should grab it while you can. I would recommend Logitech wheels anyway, I previously had (still have) a yellow Logi non-FF wheel, for emergencies....
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:46 (Ref:721783)   #4
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think you could be competitive without a steering wheel. I've tried with a keyboard but you hardly have any control over the vehicle.

I have a thrustmaster ferrari force feedback gt( or arrange to suit) havent had it too long so cant quite justify trying to get a MOMO force.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:56 (Ref:721882)   #5
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to say the microsoft was the force feedback. In OZ I paid $330 for it. Maybe it will break somehow and then I could justify a new one.
Maybe I should also try different games. I have noticed on a few games where you can decrease its response time it is far easier to use. Some games I just seem to bounce from wall to wall.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 17:21 (Ref:722099)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Try GPL Hybrid. Don't bother with anything else....

There are plenty of people around who seem to do very well with keyboard (e.g. our own Dani) and joystick (e.g. our own Oz), but I'm definitely with a wheel. Apart from the fact that I just lurve my MOMO, when you're driving a car you should have a wheel in front of you - realism, you know!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:54 (Ref:722492)   #7
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have the money, I am told that the wheels and pedals from www.interactiveracing.com are amongst the best you can get.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:01 (Ref:723784)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
They certainly look good and the price for their top of the range wheel is only a little more (about £15) than I paid for my MOMO. Not sure about about the method of fixing though - the dreaded words "drilling holes" were mentioned.....
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:06 (Ref:723790)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh!
They even have cockpits!

OMG!
They even have a Lotus 49!!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 19 Sep 2003 at 07:11.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:36 (Ref:723818)   #10
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've looked into some of these more profesional style steering wheels, but none of them have any kind of force feedback. Now i've read some reviews saying that they are THAT good that you dont need FF, but i dont think i'd spend that kind of money on an ordinary wheel.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 17:45 (Ref:724472)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I wouldn't be happy to give up FF now. I'd never experienced it before I got my MOMO (my old Logi wheel was non-FF), and although you do have to play around with the settings to get the FF right, I really feel it adds an awful lot to the experience.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 18:10 (Ref:724502)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just got a non-FF Logitech wheel, and I'm just learning SCGT on it. It's completely different from the old keyboard driving, so I have to start all over - and that's quite frustrating.

I'm sure once I get the hang of it it will be much better, though. Perhaps one thing I need to do is unplug the speakers (turned down way low, as I don't want to disturb) and plug in headphones...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2003, 15:43 (Ref:725030)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Driving with headphones is very weird - and you look a prat too......

If you're driving SCGT (which was once my stamping ground), you should give GPL a go too!