Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 30 Sep 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2767274)   #276
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your two questions require very different skills sets. I'll try to help on the first but I'll leave the second to others.

The first ten BT29s to appear in the US arrived in Hartland WI, Franklin Lakes NJ, Washington DC, Palm Beach FL, Oyster Bay NY, Paramus NJ, Alexandria VA, Granby Quebec, Columbus OH and Brockville Ontario, but we can only currently connect chassis numbers to four of those. If you can trace your car back to SCCA racing, that may give us a few clues.

What do you know of your car so far? Feel free to email me at allen@oldracingcars.com if there are some details you don't want to put online.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3099362)   #277
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Edwin Jowsey Brabham BT28 at Donington Park in 2002. See 125.
Attached Thumbnails
28061203.jpg  
Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3506106)   #278
Davide
Rookie

Italy
Albiate (MB) - near the Monza circuit!
Davide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRABHAM BT28-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
If it only debuted on 17 Nov then it didn't last long as it was "totalled" in testing at Brands on Saturday 22 Nov (Autosport 27 Nov 1969 p18).

It's amazing what you find in libre reports.

As well as Crang, Kendall was a DNA as his BT28 "still doesn't run properly".

Allen
Hi Allen,
BT28-22 is now in my workshop in Italy, belonging to a new owner.
So far the history I managed to write down is the following:

Brabham BT28 chassis no. 22, AM 70 127 was first delivered to Colin Crang, but sadly he wrecked it on 17th of November 1969 in a test at Brands Hatch.
Then the chassis was sent back to Arch Motors for a new frame and delivered in Italy to Luigi Battistello who raced it in the Italian F3 championship between 1970 and 1972.
Passed by different hand during the years, it raced in Monaco in 2010 in the hands of Richard Hein, it was then purchased by Gigi Taverna and raced in Italy up until 2013.

Now I know that between Battistello and Richard Hein, the car was once owned by Marc Faggionato.
Is that correct?

Regards
Davide

Here is a picture of the car in 1970 and now
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1893.jpg   20141103_141950.jpg  
Old 18 Feb 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3506125)   #279
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks correct but I am going to defer to Chris Townsend on this one.

1972 to 2010 is a very large gap. 38 years! It would be good to find out what it was doing all that time.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 11:24 (Ref:3506141)   #280
Davide
Rookie

Italy
Albiate (MB) - near the Monza circuit!
Davide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Allen,
Hope Chris will help!
Thanks for now
Old 27 Jun 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3554348)   #281
marchchevron
Rookie

marchchevron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all, I will follow up some more information later but just some part of the puzzle I wish to share,
I have just purchased brabham BT28-2 which was the Mike beuttler car with the 1000cc screamer fitted , I am going to start re restoration soon , it has only done a handful of laps since being restored previously by Peter denty and sold by him in 1989 but was left untouched since late 1989 .
Old 8 Sep 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3572476)   #282
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!!Just hold on there!!.What was the history of this car from the time Dick Barker wrote it off at Crystal Palace,and when Denty supposedly restored it in 1989???I still have the original chassis number for this,so to put it back to 1969 F3 state from the BT29/35 mod state it was when I sold it to Dick Barker,it would have had to have a completely new back end,and bodywork,outboard rear discs, etc!??Very interested to know ,as Dick Barker is completely incommunicado as to what BT29 he raced after crashing and burning mine in 72.It has already meant to have been returned to FA Spec and been restored sitting in St Helens,and been raced in Historic Class B.It has been declared once as my old one or BT29 chassis 19 which is still a dilemma as that one seems to have totally disappeared!????????????????????I wait with baited breathe??So what exactly have you got!??

Last edited by mikestow; 8 Sep 2015 at 15:09.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3572666)   #283
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchchevron View Post
Hello all, I will follow up some more information later but just some part of the puzzle I wish to share,
I have just purchased brabham BT28-2 which was the Mike beuttler car with the 1000cc screamer fitted , I am going to start re restoration soon , it has only done a handful of laps since being restored previously by Peter denty and sold by him in 1989 but was left untouched since late 1989 .
I spoke to Dick Barker several times and he sent me photos of the few bits he had left from BT28-2 as well as photos of the accident. The chassis he told me went to the tip. He said it had no chassis plate, but that's no surprise as Mike still has it and has confirmed in the post above!

Like Mike I'd love to know what you have and suggest an AM number would be a start.

Mike I fear Dick is no longer with us, he was far from well when we last spoke, he was very quick and held his own against some top drivers. He maintained he bought a bare new BT29 chassis and built that up as a car.
Old 9 Oct 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3580890)   #284
mpangborn
Rookie

mpangborn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Just to up-date this thread I have acquired chassis no 17 from Tommy Reid, the car had sat in the Crossle factory for a number of years after being restored by Bob Salisbury and I am now re-comissioning the car with the help of Peter Denty, hopefully should be out in 2016 as all the car needs is some paint on the chassis.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3668502)   #285
Gary Jarlson
Rookie

Gary Jarlson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BT29-19

Of no particular interest to anyone but me, but I've finally managed to track down its whereabouts after 30 years.

Ownership recap:

Joe Trotter for Formula C in the Northeast US. It seems there is a question as to exactly when this car, along with a second similar special model from MRD, showed up. 1969 or 1971.

Darryl Greene on the West Coast. I don't know when Greene got the car or from whom. I know I saw it at Riverside in 1972/1973.

Rex Thwaits had it in early 1974 when I bought it, along with a second engine, from him

Gary Jarlson. I owned and raced the car on the West Coast from 1974 to 1985 when I sold it to Dick James as a basket case. I'd had plans to restore it.

Dick James 1985-86. He never got around to restoring and sold it on to Jerry Friedricks of Camarillo, Calif. in 1986.

Jerry Friedricks finished the restoration in 1987. Since then, as far as I could determine, it has never been back on the track.

Jerry has the car stored in a very nice exhibit area at his current home in Santa Paula, Calif. It's beautifully done, although there are a couple of deviations from the original. The original 10- and 12-inch wheels were pilfered by a nearby restoration shop and the car has replacements. The engine is now a 1-liter Cosworth SCA on carburetors in place the 1.1-liter, injected SCC the car came with.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3668680)   #286
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly of interest, good to hear you've found it! Perchance any AM number on it?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 01:41 (Ref:3668715)   #287
Gary Jarlson
Rookie

I do recall seeing what I presume to be the AM number on the rear bulkhead, but I don't remember what it was. The next time I speak with Friedricks, I'll ask him to find out.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3670292)   #288
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jarlson View Post
I do recall seeing what I presume to be the AM number on the rear bulkhead, but I don't remember what it was. The next time I speak with Friedricks, I'll ask him to find out.
Gary

Good to hear you've found it. I doubt it has logbooks, but could you look on the roll hoop for the SCCA stamp?
Old 12 Sep 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3671921)   #289
Gary Jarlson
Rookie

Chris

There was only ever one SCCA logbook with the car and I gave it to Dick James when he bought it. I presume it followed the car into Friedricks' ownership. Checking for a roll bar stamp would be fruitless. When I upgraded the car from the original SCC engine to the BD series, we had to replace the original roll bar with one that utilized forward bracing as the width of the new engine didn't allow for the previous rearward brace. The new roll bar was renumbered by Cal Club. And finally, I am almost certain Friedricks has replaced that roll bar as part of the restoration. I don't know if the vintage organization Friedricks would most likely race with, in this case VARA, would stamp the roll bar. Keep in mind this car has not been on the track since I last raced it in 1978-79.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3790462)   #290
marchchevron
Rookie

marchchevron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestow View Post
Wow!!Just hold on there!!.What was the history of this car from the time Dick Barker wrote it off at Crystal Palace,and when Denty supposedly restored it in 1989???I still have the original chassis number for this,so to put it back to 1969 F3 state from the BT29/35 mod state it was when I sold it to Dick Barker,it would have had to have a completely new back end,and bodywork,outboard rear discs, etc!??Very interested to know ,as Dick Barker is completely incommunicado as to what BT29 he raced after crashing and burning mine in 72.It has already meant to have been returned to FA Spec and been restored sitting in St Helens,and been raced in Historic Class B.It has been declared once as my old one or BT29 chassis 19 which is still a dilemma as that one seems to have totally disappeared!????????????????????I wait with baited breathe??So what exactly have you got!??
Hi Mike, could you possibly email me at cre133@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk