Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Sep 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2949213)   #51
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Apart from Jared Boone and Jon Field, the LMPC drivers haven't really done anything particular to screw up other guy's races. Maybe there's one other guy who has blown it too, but still, that's two or three drivers, out of 12-20+ that have run the various ALMS races this year.

Actually, that Turn 5-7 section bears a certain resemblance to Turn 1 through the Fountain Complex at Long Beach. Heck, the corners even all go in the same directions in the same sequence. I don't think we've had too many safety cars for pile-ups at the fountain at Long Beach. And, amusingly, the Indy Cars have had decidedly more trouble at Turn 1 at Long Beach than the ALMS crew has.

You guys probably thought the chicane at Houston would be a disaster. I know you thought that Belle Isle would be unraceable. I don't recall Trois Rivieres being horrific by any stretch either. And Washington D.C. was an excellent temporary circuit.

St. Petersburg has probably been the worst, but I don't foresee those same issues at Baltimore; the real trouble areas (where the bad accidents happened) were the transition zones to and from the streets, off of and back on to the airport. And we won't see the issues that arose at Miami, because the Baltimore circuit is substantially longer, and quite a bit wider on the whole. At Miami (2002), they tried to squeeze 36 cars around a 1.387-mile, 16-turn circuit, which had an ice rink parking lot and two-lane-wide sections.

Baltimore is 2.1 miles, 3-4 lanes wide for the whole lap, and none of the pavement has that tell-tale sheen that we've seen on those notoriously slick sections of previous street circuits. All things considered, Baltimore doesn't look bad at all.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2949433)   #52
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic alert: @Purist I was also thinking about how much of a mess this circuit could be for the Indy drivers. They have showed quite the propensity for contact this year, and this circuit doesn't look forgiving.

back on topic: Does anybody know the minimum drive times for this race? I'm assuming the amateurs will just barely cover that and then hand over to the pro on the challenge teams.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2949445)   #53
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tagliani, Viso, Sato and co hear you, should be a nice crash fest Toronto-style.

If the LMPC guys behave like at Lime Rock we are in deep trouble ALMS-wise
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2949523)   #54
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a reminder to those playing FRC - entries are due in just about 24 hours.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2949734)   #55
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one that doesn't car for those virtual laps?

I'll be watching IndyCar practice to see the track...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2949845)   #56
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The first practice is in just over an hour. And right now it looks like it will be hot and there is a 30% chance of rain for the race tomorrow!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2949876)   #57
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The first practice is in just over an hour. And right now it looks like it will be hot and there is a 30% chance of rain for the race tomorrow!
They are four hours behind schedule today. Track construction still going on.

Quote:
Revised schedule is out - 75-minute #ALMS practice from 1:20-2:35p today. Qualifying from 5:05-5:55p. #BGP2011
Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2949889)   #58
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
They are four hours behind schedule today. Track construction still going on.
this is going to be a fiasco isn't it?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2949893)   #59
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was gonna go with cluster **** but you beat me to it.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2949901)   #60
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was really surprised Baltimore had a home game last night too. Couldn't have made finishing the track easy, although the race might have more fans than the Os have the whole of last week.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2949904)   #61
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They should have called Ralph Sanchez; he knows how to get ready manual labor on short notice to finish building a street circuit.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2949924)   #62
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Well, if you are able to normally watch the races and q'ing online (on espn3 or alms.com) you are getting bonus coverage of this afternoon's practice session. It starts at 2:40pm local time.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2949927)   #63
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, if you are able to normally watch the races and q'ing online (on espn3 or alms.com) you are getting bonus coverage of this afternoon's practice session. It starts at 2:40pm local time.
Awesome. At least something good is coming out of the situation.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2949932)   #64
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
And we have been postponed again
maybe it turns into a night q'ing session?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2949933)   #65
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And we have been postponed again
maybe it turns into a night q'ing session?
Is practice still at 2:40 PM ET?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2949935)   #66
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
is it just me or is it seriosly dangerus to limit practice times on a brand new street circuit like this...
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2949939)   #67
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
is it just me or is it seriosly dangerus to limit practice times on a brand new street circuit like this...
I have not looked, but how much time are the drivers losing? It's not like they had a ton to begin with. Anyway, I'm not so sure what "construction" is still going on, but some of the pictures on ALMS notes shows work crews pouring asphalt while the team guys look on. I can't imagine that racing high downforce cars on freshly poured asphalt is a good idea, but maybe it will be fine or maybe the pictures are from yesterday or something. I really have no idea what is going on. The weekend is looking like a bit of a comedy show though.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2949941)   #68
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think they were pouring yesterday to make a covering over the light rail lines. So, hopefully, that eliminates the reason for the chicane some maps were showing on Pratt Street. And, perhaps, that will eliminate the chicane right before pit entry also.

The drivers are losing something like 45 minutes of practice. I think it's entirely possible that they'll try to compress a few things tomorrow, to lengthen the Warm-Up session a little.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2949943)   #69
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
they lost one of two practice sessions, and since they are only gonna get one, witch will probably be full of red flags, the race is gonna be raced on unstable poorly setup cars...and that ladies and gentelmen is a recapie for 2h of racing behind a safty car, so get your popcorn, and beverages cose its goona be a long 2h...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2949944)   #70
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think they were pouring yesterday to make a covering over the light rail lines. So, hopefully, that eliminates the reason for the chicane some maps were showing on Pratt Street. And, perhaps, that will eliminate the chicane right before pit entry also.
Interesting. We're a few hours away from live track action and we don't even know what the configuration of the track will be! So it sounds like qualifying might be condensed or a combo practice session or something? Maybe GT and GTC will share a session with LMPC and LMP sharing another?

Anyway, I think the ALMS needs to steer far away from Ropin' Randy's crazy "let's throw cowpies at the wall and see if any stick" carnivals in the future. Ok, stuff like Long Beach is ok, but no new venues that sound too good to be true.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2949963)   #71
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From John Dagys:

It's 12:20 and cars still not on track. F2000 was supposed to kick things off at noon. Not looking good

Honestly, the ALMS deserves this for going to another new open wheel street event. I predicted it would suck just like every other Monaco/Long Beach wannabe but was told otherwise, looks like I may have been right.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2949972)   #72
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would have thought that ALMS and IndyCar officials would have visited Baltimore well ahead of this weekend to iron out any potential problems with the track layout, especially going over the railroad tracks, and would have given the relevant authorities a list of things to do before the start of practice. Not very professional IMO.

Last edited by cbbrit; 2 Sep 2011 at 16:55.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2949981)   #73
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
You would have thought that ALMS and IndyCar officials would have visited Baltimore well ahead of this weekend to iron out any potential problems with the track layout, especially going over the railroad tracks, and would have given the relevant authorities a list of things to do before the start of practice. Not very professional IMO.
I think that's been proven to be pretty obvious over the last 4-5 years. Both these series are in the gutter.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2949986)   #74
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Yeah, you would think, but who knows. We're talking about a series that apparently thinks it is ok to race on wet ovals with slick tires. Maybe they think that driving into wet asphalt would be great fun as well!

Maybe suggestions were made to the promoter and the promoter dragged their feet, who knows. Maybe one series suggested changes and the other overruled (I'm assuming one of the series has more of a say than the other). Anyway, no matter what the case is, I sure hope the ABC viewers don't get 2 hours of garbage this weekend. Hopefully it is a good race. By good race I don't mean all heck breaking lose and there being some oddball winner!

EDIT: The first practice is now scheduled to begin at 2:20 PM ET. I don't know if ESPN3 will pick up coverage at that time or what.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2949989)   #75
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Yeah, you would think, but who knows. We're talking about a series that apparently thinks it is ok to race on wet ovals with slick tires. Maybe they think that driving into wet asphalt would be great fun as well!
Uncured asphalt provides extra grip! that is for the first car, then it starts to come apart and tun into a gravel trap. Wait that would still be lots of grip