Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Aug 2004, 02:51 (Ref:1082105)   #1
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Zealand Risks Losing V8 Supercar Championship Series Forever

Nice piece of spin from TC.

http://www.racetime.com.au/?racenews=11329
(Courtesy of Racenews)

I think someone should explain to him that the Kiwi's have figured out it's not worth the effort, despite the hype.

And if they miraculously upgraded Symmons Plains in such a short time to "the standard of facilities that our Championship requires", then why couldn't a permanent NZ track be worked up for next year's race. Especially with all economic benefit on the line!

Although he's figures are a bit off centre. He quotes attendances and economic figures based on Australian events which call on a population base 5 or 6 times larger than NZ.

If he wasn't so serious, he would be amusing.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1082108)   #2
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he doesnt like murf..
Old 31 Aug 2004, 03:38 (Ref:1082134)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't see why you Kiwis love TC.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:12 (Ref:1082150)   #4
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what the?! Motorsport NZ have vetoed 2 NZ races?! What is their problem? Maybe I should consider a career change. I couldn't do any worse that the current lot!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:16 (Ref:1082154)   #5
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

I also find it hard to believe that MSNZ would turn down two supercar races in one year - seems crazy to me!!

TC will be on radio sport here in NZ sometime between 5 and 5.30 tonight for those kiwis around.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:17 (Ref:1082156)   #6
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think part of our problem is that it is time for the mayoral elections, and some Mayors want to but their shiny bums back in those leather chairs and taking a stand on a street race for the good of their area is as good a stand as any.
The stand may be the saving of some and end of others.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:29 (Ref:1082167)   #7
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If denying a V8 race is going to get someone elected, then what does that say about the pulling power (or lack thereof) of V8SC?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:32 (Ref:1082176)   #8
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracy
Hi All

I also find it hard to believe that MSNZ would turn down two supercar races in one year - seems crazy to me!!

TC will be on radio sport here in NZ sometime between 5 and 5.30 tonight for those kiwis around.
I don't find it hard to believe, this is the same Motorsport NZ that says the following http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/ex-press.pdf

Basically my point is this
"There is no further opportunity to negotiate this date" with the FIA (So are they saying they haven't spoken to the FIA about the issue? Is MSNZ relationship with the FIA that fragile they can't discuss it? Did they assume that V8 Supercars would go back to a November date?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:35 (Ref:1082181)   #9
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucky
If denying a V8 race is going to get someone elected, then what does that say about the pulling power (or lack thereof) of V8SC?
No the issue the challengers to the current mayor are playing on is that he is a petrol head and someone who is trying to make something happen because he wants it to. The current mayor calls a spade a spade and can come across a bit brash, they are using the fact that he is pushing it as a sign that he will do whatever he wants. Quite apart from the fact that Aucklanders are quite happy to have the race. It's a few councillors and a couple of journos who don't.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 05:31 (Ref:1082221)   #10
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

You can listen to the TC interview by going here:

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/

then click on listen back, Tuesday, then both the 17.00 - 17.15 and the 17.15 - 17.30 sessions. If you right click and save them, then you can fast foward to 10 mins into the first one to get to the start quicker, rather than just playing it back.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 06:35 (Ref:1082260)   #11
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Hey, isn't there a chance that we will know a lot earlier than March next year about the street race?? If Mr Hubbard wins the Auckland Mayoral election there won't be a street race anyway will there, so TC will know by the end of October - must be enough time to sort an alternative out!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 07:19 (Ref:1082291)   #12
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give it to Manfield, bugger it I'll just drive down and sleep in the HQ!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 07:32 (Ref:1082304)   #13
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Timu
Give it to Manfield, bugger it I'll just drive down and sleep in the HQ!
Could Manfield jump in and resubmit their offer??

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1082330)   #14
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

I hope Manfeild would have another go, but some of their funds might be going west from the Manawatu District council because of the flooding in February.

On the radio TC said that Manfeild were not going ahead with the alterations since they didn't get the round, but as far as I know they were still going ahead, but would take a little longer to get there. I am sure that they could be fast tracked if they were given a definite YES from AVESCO.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1082355)   #15
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC has form & this is it - are you familiar with his tactics in WA. Thought he could get the WA govt to give WRC the a... in return for a street race. Fortunately the WA govt did not fall for the tactics, motor racing in WA has benefitted & the cash cow that is V8 Supercars for some now makes a little less.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1082404)   #16
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a few minutes worth on One news tonight. Seems more like an issue with Transport NZ. Although my thoughts are that it is just not wanted by certain people and they are determined to see it fail. Let it go, get the new circuit up and running in 3 years time and bring them back.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 09:45 (Ref:1082426)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony Cochrane is fundamentally correct.

I watched the TV1 news tonight and saw him on there, and I lisetened to the Radio Sport interview.

He mentions Brian Rudman, who as Tony aptly puts it is one of the ongoing negative persecutors of V8 Supercars in NZ, regardless of where they race. Again, Tony said that Brian never has a good thing to say about the V8 Supercars whenever he is in NZ, and he confessed to being here fairly regularly.

Tony also points out that there are issues with sanctioning/permitting with Motorsport NZ, who, as TC outs it, should be embracing the concept and working with the Auckland City Council and Transit NZ and the other government agencies to make it happen.

I shall sleep on all of this overnight as it is too much to take in in one dose. Suffice to say that now is the hour for all of us who are motorsport fans to stand up and be counted, and to make some noise.

You never know, maybe the NZ Herald will give us some column inches to air our views in the same way that Brian Rudman gets to air his.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1082501)   #18
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were hoping to bring some cars over next year too join the V8 support categories at one of the rounds.
Looks like it won't happen now
Old 31 Aug 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1083030)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
TC came across as a whining ********,does AVESCO think its the Mafia or something,threating bully boy tactics wont win them any friends here,threats to take away the V8 race here forever seem pretty childish.
If places like Dubai and Capetown are falling over themselves for a race let them have it,AVESCO are only after the money.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1083196)   #20
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Here here TC. Have any of your grizzle guts asked the question of MANZ and why they won't allow 2 races in NZ? Nzers are very slow at getting things organised, look at the fiasco over the sub hosting rights for the Rugby World Cup. You may see them as "bully boy tactics" but MSNZ are just the same. Their "Take our date or **** off" attitude is the no different. I cannot understand what is going on.....or maybe I can....Maybe MSNZ want V8 Supercars to go away so they can achieve global domination with their NZV8 Touring car Championship
Old 1 Sep 2004, 03:50 (Ref:1083391)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
Tony Cochrane is fundamentally correct.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice one.

That Mr Hubbard i think his name was, obviously can see the trouble would cause to the city and problems finacially staging this race could cause. All the best to him

Hopefully they are in contact with the WA events corp and WA government, because WA called tc's bluff and came out a winner, hopefully NZ can be aswell
Old 1 Sep 2004, 04:49 (Ref:1083420)   #22
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Dick Hubbard is on record as saying he's willing to consider the idea of a V8 Supercar race in Auckland.... but not the current proposed location. I'm not sure if I've meet anyone in Auckland that does support it there.

But the other major problem is the timing clash with the Rally of NZ.

http://www.xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,...641807,00.html

Once again, AVESCO want to hold the V8 Supercar event at the same time as the Rally of NZ. Given the choice of risking losing on the one hand.... a round of the World Rally Championship that New Zealand has held most years since the Group 4/Group B rally years, long before anyone heard the phrase "V8 Supercar", and on the other hand, a national series race (and a foreign national series at that), Motorsport New Zealand have to give preference to the WRC round.

They must support NZ motorsport (and many NZ rally drivers will compete in Rally NZ) ahead of the interests of AVESCO.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 07:01 (Ref:1083476)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Maybe TC is insisting that it be held then because he doesn't really want it in NZ if he can't have his own way and already has another location lined up to recieve the NZ date...
If he really wanted the series here why can't he organise a date that suits the NZ calender and is at the time of year when it will make sense for the weather and everyone...or doesn't he want to for other reasons...
Old 1 Sep 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1083579)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black Day........

Sorry to read all this K-Rap. Why does politics rear its ugly head in just about every facet of our daily lives??

Like them or loathe them the V8s do put on a good show and if the Shakey Isles misses an opportuinity to see them then thats bad for Motorsport overall
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1084721)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If this doesn't happen, wont it stop disaterrous traffic problems locking up the city and give New Zealnders a chance to support their own championships.

Personally I cant see a problem