Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 Jul 2008, 04:52 (Ref:2247667)   #301
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Laughing at Mattt while posting!!!) I understand it's your 1st car and all but I'd get something a bit more substantial than a Punto, like a Ford Falcon or something. I'd be lucky to find a Punto in Geraldton anyway.

You're better off than I am, I haven't even gone for my Ls yet!
Old 9 Jul 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2247724)   #302
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
(Laughing at Mattt while posting!!!) I understand it's your 1st car and all but I'd get something a bit more substantial than a Punto, like a Ford Falcon or something.
We don't have them here and with UK petrol prices being what they (£1.18 a litre at my local) are a Falcon would be a bad idea unless running on LPG
Old 9 Jul 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2247769)   #303
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

An update. My partner and I sold our business but retained the Company vehicles, a 2005 GMC 3/4 ton van and a 2005 1/2 ton GMC pickup. The van was a real gas guzzler but the pickup not too bad if you took it easy.
Anyway they have been replaced with a pair of 2007 Chev Cobalts, used. Took a hammering on the pickup. Although quite a few are work trucks, like our's were, the majority were not. They were a favourite with macho male teenagers. The increase in gas prices has shut down the non commercial market so there is a glut of unsold pickups. The vans being almost entirely work vehicles, although some are made into motor homes, have retained their market.
The Cobalts would not have been our first choice (we probably would not even buy the same make of car and probably not GM) if things were different.
However to get rid of the trucks without being slaughtered on price we dealt with the GM dealer and salesman the trucks came from.
Not bad little cars with good gas mileage. Handle pretty well and have A/C and a CD player along with a info computer in the steering wheel. They are 4 doors and automatic. No cruise control. In our climate air is good in the summer and I wouldn't mind cruise on the multi lane highways. Also would have preferred 2 door and stick shift but had to take what was available as it was a package deal. Probably be this old fart's last car. I expect to wear out before it does. I know my ex partner will replace hers probably with a camper van in a year or so as she wants to travel and that is still cheaper than motels despite gas prices.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2248253)   #304
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my puntos a nice little car, it will do the speed i need and it parks so easily

it is only 5 years old so compared to most other people my age i know other cars are Ford KAs, 106, Clios, puntos, fiestas etc most of which are 10 or so years old

The Punto is the biggest one of those ones
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2248404)   #305
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bluebottle, I meant because I live in Australia, I would buy a Ford Falcon. I wasn't saying there were any Falcons in the UK.

Mattt, I wasn't sure how old your car was, so thx for pointing that out for me. I did an image search for Puntos in google but only came up with the new models. I think that I'll also take your advice on your new signature.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2248457)   #306
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bluebottle, I had one the other week for a trip up in Qld, the just-superceded model. Was averaging 35mpg on the highway including lots of full-throttle use for overtaking (v. good for this!) then dropped back to 32mpg after running around the city. That was a base-model with the 4sp auto, the ZF 6sp models do noticeably better. While a Mondeo would be more economical while having the same amount of room, a Falcon is a good thing to tow with (2300kg capacity) - compare to a 4wd you never take off road? (No offence if you have one!)
Old 11 Jul 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2248981)   #307
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Someone accidentally posted the same thing twice. Oops!
Old 11 Jul 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2249020)   #308
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure how that happened, mind you when the screen first refreshed the post came up three times!
Old 13 Jul 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2249956)   #309
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I'll admit that's happened to me a couple of times before, computer taking too long to submit my reply, but I fixed that by editing the unwanted ones and putting something else in them.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2255993)   #310
Teggers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devonshire
Teggers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi! My first post here. Thought I'd add a little to this thread.

I drive a Nissan 200sx (S14a) and a Mitsubishi L200 (fully off-road kitted with winch, snorkel, chunky tyres, spots and so on)
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2256510)   #311
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my daily drive is a VP Commodore ex cop car has a few mods from the cops like FE2 (lowered) suspension, sump guard etc, it also has a tricked transmision and runs on dual fuel LPG and petrol good in these days with fuel prices, all those mods done before i got the car all i have done is bunged a nice sound system in it soon to be adding a nice sounding exhaust. it's my first car had it for just over 18 months and i got it off a guy at my dads work for $2000.

me and my dad have a VH Commodore done up still got the six but heavily worked and it sounds bloody loud and awesome also has all the necesary chrome bits 5 speed box, lowered, wheels etc everything else you do to the only thing left to do is the interior. i don't drive it much and when i do it's only local due to the big red cop magnet P that i have to display. we went on Muscle Car Cruise 5 with it (i have pic's from the day of the car and other cars but not on the computer yet) great day great fun, heaps of awesome machinery, look forward to many more of these events.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2257713)   #312
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car: 1998 VW Gol 1.6MI - 92cv - 180kmh topspeed (factory data) but speedometer tells 190kmh :wink:
It´s the best car my little money could buy. Good mileage and reliability. Has got 106.000km.
The car is similar to this one, but 4 door version

My father´s car: 1998 Peugeot 306 1.9 Diesel - 70cv - could handle a 3.200km trip from buenos aires to patagonia and return at 160kph all way with no problem, plenty space for 4 persons, 4 snowboards and big luggages :wink:

Company cars:
sometimes a 2007 VW Suran 1.6 (feels like driving a truck after using my car, driving position is very high, and so it is CoG, I dont like the way it rolls when you are doing more than 150kph in the freeway and take a long turn)

othertimes a 2007 Renault Clio - 1.5dCi - 85cv (turbo diesel direct inyection commonrail)
the car is good overall, very low fuel consumption, reaches 170kph easily
similar to this one:
Old 26 Jul 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2258062)   #313
Teggers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devonshire
Teggers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regard to my above post (no. 310), pic of my Nissan in the rain!

Last edited by Teggers; 26 Jul 2008 at 08:34.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2268854)   #314
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brrm!

Old 14 Aug 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2268857)   #315
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just bought a new car, Ford Focus 2.0 Titanium. It's great, really shifts when you want it to.

http://mdh-photography.co.uk/galleries/focus/album/
Old 14 Aug 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2268951)   #316
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one Bibs.

How many breakdowns between Kent and Le Mans?

(Just kidding.... I hope!)
Old 14 Aug 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2269065)   #317
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None, and I'd done 800 miles to Devon and back the weekend before!

It's very reliable so long as it's used, all Esprits are! I run a pretty big Esprit owners club and on the whole the cars which aren't garage queens look after their owners, don't cost that much to run and are fast as stink!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2271500)   #318
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW nice car but i can see you have sacrifised living arrangements to own her.....
Old 19 Aug 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2271544)   #319
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs
None, and I'd done 800 miles to Devon and back the weekend before!

It's very reliable so long as it's used, all Esprits are! I run a pretty big Esprit owners club and on the whole the cars which aren't garage queens look after their owners, don't cost that much to run and are fast as stink!
Top stuff!

I know someone who had a V8 twin turbo several years ago that was shockingly quick when it was running, but the turbos had a disconcerting habit of melting the engine... His was definitely a 'garage queen' though (nice term )

Hopefully in a couple of months' time, I'll be reporting a new car. Slightly more practical than Bibs' beast, but damn near as quick...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2271572)   #320
Simes
Rookie

Simes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as the dust settles on my divorce I've changed my garage yet again..

This time I *MUST* stick with what I have for a few years...

Daily - 04 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTi Executive - totally awesome milemuncher with one hill of a powerful mid range diesel urge...

Toy - 05 Porsche 911 Carrera S Basalt Black with 19" SportDesigns - everything you could ever want - and more, love it to bits - some poor sod took one hell of a hit on it though when they bought it new - Yes I know I won't get off scott free but as I don;t expect to change it for many years - who cares...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2271580)   #321
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Your not one of those blokes who gets bored with his motor every 5 minutes are you?!!

What other wheels have you owned recently?
Old 19 Aug 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2271656)   #322
Simes
Rookie

Simes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I generally manage a year...

although last year was 2 ... the more rapid change was as a result of me needing somethign bigger due to the divorce then the oh sod it factor..

so recent history
Main car Daily
Alfa 156 2.0TS Veloce
Alfa 156 GTA / Smart for 2
BMW E39 530d Sport / Smart roadster
Alfa Brera 3.2 Q4
Porsche Cayman / Fiat Panda 100Hp
Porsche 911 / Honda Accord 2.2cdti

Oh and until recently again due to divorce a 57ft narrowboat.

longest was 3 years - the two 156's - shortest was 11 months the POS BMW E39... The accord is costing me as much as the panda to run... (120 quid to tax, under 400 to insure and 55+ mpg)

Last edited by Simes; 19 Aug 2008 at 17:05.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2271743)   #323
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
We need pics of the 911!
Old 22 Nov 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2339751)   #324
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well its been a while since I entered this thread so thought now is the time to update. Since my old White 3.0ltr turbo Toyota supra I down sized signifcantly and bought a 1.6 Ghia Ford Fiesta, had that for about 9 months and got bored so changed to a Citroen Xantia 1.9 HDi, not as bad a car as you might think, not stunningly fast, but well not slow either and extremely comfortable and economical I was averaging around 38mpg over a tank, most of that was town driving too.

Then a few months ago I bought another MK3 Toyota supra turbo in red, a nice low mileage example (81,000 miles) for the year (1991), it needed a few bits and pieces doing to it however which I did such as getting a new light bulb cover for the passenger side rear and a new motor for one of the hydraulic headlights as that had gone. No real running problems other than that, other than the temprature gauge had a habit of going sky high when pushed very hard, although I dont think this was the common headgasket problem. Since then however in september my circumstances changed and I am on a signifcantly better wage than before so I decided to change my car once again, this time I have bought a Renault Clio 172 Cup. Amazing little car, probably quicker than the Supra 0-60, not quite as fast mid range or getting to the top end but its outright top speed isnt much slower than on the Supra, very economical too when driven sensibley, can get around 42mpg on a motorway run. Think I will be keeping this for another year, possibly 2. Next car Im after is the Renault Megane Renault Sport coupe, from what I've seen and read they seem to be amazing cars for the money.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2342675)   #325
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My new rocket....

2008 VW Golf R32...

3.2 V6, 184kW, AWD, DSG....

WOW!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House