Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Dec 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1791903)   #1
auzziemonza
Rookie

auzziemonza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR and Jim Beam??

Heard a whisper this is all but done! Let the Bourbon Wars Begin!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 03:26 (Ref:1791908)   #2
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that I should be reading this post now. Last night at work a mate dragged out some ancient Penthouse "Black label" magazines going back to the mid-late 80s. While the pictures are "interesting" I genuinely found it more interesting to read the articles. True dinks.

Anyway, one of them was Peter MacKay's review of the 1988 motorsport year. In it he made mention of the all alcohol sponsors that were coming on board. In the past, PMK said, they tended to steer clear of motorsport sponsorship for fear of the drink drive tag that the industry would get.

But in 88, Tooheys, Fosters and Swan breweries all got involved in motorsport. These days, it doesn't seem to be an issue, despite the ever increasing pressure on road safety campaigns and the drink-drive message.

It's funny how "values" change. Back then, there was no problem with tobacco sponsorship. But it's now taboo because of health reasons. Breweries sponsoring racing was an issue then. It isn't now.

I wonder how long it will be before alchohol advertising is subjected to the same sanctions.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 03:34 (Ref:1791912)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
that move has alraedy started mjt, its just slowly picking up steam, but let me assure you the path is picked, first tabaco then alcohol then sex

Last edited by peckstar; 16 Dec 2006 at 03:37.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1791914)   #4
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know that grolsch won't get involved with motorsport over the association with drink driving. I can't really see the problem. Its a sticker on the side of the car its not like Richards drove around all year with a drink bottle full of Jack
Old 16 Dec 2006, 04:23 (Ref:1791919)   #5
cow
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
i know that grolsch won't get involved with motorsport over the association with drink driving. I can't really see the problem. Its a sticker on the side of the car its not like Richards drove around all year with a drink bottle full of Jack
Is that why he went so well this year?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:11 (Ref:1791939)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This has gone over my head, but were is the DJR connection here.Sorry if I have missed something.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1791941)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the rumours is in the heading and not in the post, DJR and JB to team together next year.

obviusly it still rumour and its is not the first time this has been mentioned, its lost in 150 pages of lists
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1791942)   #8
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Close one eye, tilt your head to the side and stand on one leg and you might see it.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1791943)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't really care about the alcohol wars, all I want to see, despite being a Holden fan, is Dick Johnson Racing back next year. If he's got the $$$ from Jim Beam, kudos to both DJ and Jim Beam themselves for stepping in and saving an Australian racing icon from going under.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:19 (Ref:1791945)   #10
Mickcals
Racer

Mickcals has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i heard that Jim Beam was going to feature on the front of one of the FPR cars next year
Old 16 Dec 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1791947)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Bundy was heading to DJR.. As stated by Mickcals, Jim Beam should be going to a more successful Ford team
Old 16 Dec 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1791968)   #12
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow
Is that why he went so well this year?
Now there's an idea for a new politically incorrect one make racing series -

Each driver has 8 drinks before racing identical <insert brand here> vehicles.

What a hoot and no RBT to worry about!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1791970)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aslong as DJR has a sponser i will be happy as even though i am a Holden fan they are an icon in Aussie motorsport, but i thought it was Bundy going to DJR with JB featuring on the FPR cars.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1791973)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
I heard Bundy was heading to DJR.. As stated by Mickcals, Jim Beam should be going to a more successful Ford team
From the Bundy Rum website Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy Rum website, Sponsorship tab
Please note that as a manufacturer of alcohol, we have a social obligation to promote responsible consumption of alcohol. Sponsorship may only be sought for activities or events aimed at assisting audiences over 18 years of age.

Therefore we are unable to assist with fundraisers or sponsorships for SCHOOLS or JUNIOR CLUBS and any events associated with motor sports or jet boating.
Now while Bundaberg Rum was a sponsor of Peter Janson a number of years ago, the owners (Diageo) are now a very different proposition....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Dec 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1791974)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Diageo sure are. That is why Johnnie Walker sponsors McLaren in Formula One, and is looking at a deal in the USA

In the meantime, the Australian office is frittering away millions of dollars on marketing, and has hooked up with Cricket Australia, if I remember correctly, who are a sporting code that is much more likely to be participated in due to its low barriers to entry than motorsport has on a "cost of competing" basis. It is therefore resultingly more likely to be subtley targeting the very children of schools and junior clubs that sister brand, Bundaberg Rum, so publicly professes to avoid.

Where is the logic???
Old 16 Dec 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1791979)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you get alcoholically challenged and go play cricket, there is a reasonable shot you wont hurt anyone. If you do the same then get behind the wheel, the story is different.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Dec 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1792015)   #17
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Now there's an idea for a new politically incorrect one make racing series -

Each driver has 8 drinks before racing identical <insert brand here> vehicles.

What a hoot and no RBT to worry about!
politically incorrect
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1792080)   #18
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often wondered what would happen to cricket sponsorship dollars if the V8s ever reverted to racing in the summer season.

I've always been a believer that the cricket (and golf) is really a boring TV game being supported by a conservative, influential minority... no other sport has dared tackle the cricket head on for TV exposure. I don't really know why? I dare say motorsport would soak up the sponsorship dollars at the expense of cricket, if the two were pitted against one another.

Sorry for straying slightly OT but I just had to get my thought across to some influential entrepreneur out there who might actually read my post.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1792086)   #19
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I often wondered what would happen to cricket sponsorship dollars if the V8s ever reverted to racing in the summer season.

I've always been a believer that the cricket (and golf) is really a boring TV game being supported by a conservative, influential minority... no other sport has dared tackle the cricket head on for TV exposure. I don't really know why? I dare say motorsport would soak up the sponsorship dollars at the expense of cricket, if the two were pitted against one another.

Sorry for straying slightly OT but I just had to get my thought across to some influential entrepreneur out there who might actually read my post.

soccer a league is doing exactly what you are proposing. it is a smart idea.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1792092)   #20
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The A-League needs to be on FTA to try and compete with the cricket IMO.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Dec 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1792137)   #21
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt any form of motorsport would be able to beat the cricket during the summer....
Old 16 Dec 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1792325)   #22
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't know where these rumours are coming from. It won't be Bundaberg Rum and it won't be Jim Beam.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1792334)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bundaberg Rum ,Jim Beam,Jack Daniels.......if all the cars crash into each other would we have some new sort of cocktail?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1792335)   #24
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having got fried in the heat in a November Bathurst (1998) and likewise at a March Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, there is no way we could ever race over an Australian summer...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 16 Dec 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1792379)   #25
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Having got fried in the heat in a November Bathurst (1998) and likewise at a March Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, there is no way we could ever race over an Australian summer...
They did propose night racing some time back...

Regarding the soccer... in Melbourne they're getting crowds of 50,000 but it falls short of being a TV ratings hit. As I said, Ch9 really are trying to reinvent the cricket coverage so that it appeals to juniors a little more.

The cricket is stuck in a 100 year time warp, IMO, and there's no easy way to make it appeal to those outside its core group - it attracts a certain type of supporter that not everyone relates to. Women hate the cricket. Motorsport? Well wherever there's fast cars there sure are some fast women!