Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3361960)   #76
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
black swan, looks fabulous
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3361973)   #77
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look like a strong similarity to the first TS030 version even in the headlight shape. Curious that the front bodywork seems to be closed. Did Toyota not use the front wing on the splitter or is this the low downforce package for Le Mans
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3361976)   #78
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The whole point of the front wing is that there would not be a strong need for a special low drag aero package for Le Mans.

The TS040 currently looks a lot like the 2013 TS030 and the launch TS030.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:36 (Ref:3361977)   #79
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems like a very narrow cockpit.

I like the look of the new prototypes, and my only criticism is that these don't look like they could hold two passengers.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3361982)   #80
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Its a picture of the car in its first outing. A lot changed on the 2012 and 2013 car, so we'll probably only get the 'clear picture' in march. Funny you say that it looks narrow, gingers, since its actually wider. Maybe because the black?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3361995)   #81
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Squint a bit and you can see some GT-One in that front end.
Sure does! Looks good! Feels like all LMP1's this year will be stunning, in direct contrast on how F1 is evolving. Maybe this really is the true return of Endurance racing to the status it had in late 80s
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3361997)   #82
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Oh dear, seems like that everyone's surprised now!
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3361999)   #83
alless
Rookie

alless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks good sofar, i hope the cockpit is nice round from the side view. As some mentioned it looks really like ts020 from front view to.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3362001)   #84
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Its a picture of the car in its first outing. A lot changed on the 2012 and 2013 car, so we'll probably only get the 'clear picture' in march. Funny you say that it looks narrow, gingers, since its actually wider. Maybe because the black?
Or maybe because I'm blind
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3362004)   #85
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I love the skinny nose cone. Not like Audi and Porsche who have wider nose cones.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3362006)   #86
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pic in shadow reminds me of T128 and Lola, and by contrast, the Toyota solution is so far the most mature and conservative one, possibly the most reliable one next year. The must be hiding and teasing some sort of secret weapon. Wait and see.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3362022)   #87
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't like the narrower shape of the 2014 cars, they should never have narrowed them.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 10:47 (Ref:3362026)   #88
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I don't like the narrower shape of the 2014 cars, they should never have narrowed them.

narrower shape = lower drag = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = narrower shape = lower drag = = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = and on...
Old 30 Jan 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3362029)   #89
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant wait to see what Toyota has done this yr. The car looks 2013 TS030 just a revised version of 2014. Its good they are testing this car cause now u have another rival in the equation.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3362031)   #90
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Squint a bit and you can see some GT-One in that front end.
Very much so indeed. Would love to see them go back to the red and white livery.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3362035)   #91
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Old 30 Jan 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3362062)   #92
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
narrower shape = lower drag = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = narrower shape = lower drag = = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = and on...
You could add less stable and less mechanical grip to that mix too. Narrowing cars should never be an option for me. Less aero, ok, but the track width shouldn't be touched.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3362090)   #93
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Seems like a very narrow cockpit.

I like the look of the new prototypes, and my only criticism is that these don't look like they could hold two passengers.
They really need to introduce rules that gets rid of the pointy noses and the whole single seater vibe prototypes from the last 10 or so years have had.

I doubt they will though, they want the F1 audience so they'll keep the F1 noses and single seater look.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3362096)   #94
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
They really need to introduce rules that gets rid of the pointy noses and the whole single seater vibe prototypes from the last 10 or so years have had.

I doubt they will though, they want the F1 audience so they'll keep the F1 noses and single seater look.
I'm sure ACO is open to suggestions that achieve just that without making the whole front section a spec part.

2014 was a chance to make bigger chances (underbody, and getting rid of the fins), so I doubt there will be major chances for years.

I actually think the narrow width makes the cars look a bit more nimble/agile. 919 looks by far best so far. R18 is worse proportionally.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3362170)   #95
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm surprised they are running regular lighting, when both Audi and Porsche have their cars with LED's
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3362171)   #96
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Oh trust me. I think the new F1 rules have gone a long way to distancing themselves from the sportscars

Old 30 Jan 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3362214)   #97
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Radiators have to be at the front of the car?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3362222)   #98
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Oh trust me. I think the new F1 rules have gone a long way to distancing themselves from the sportscars
What am I looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I'm sure ACO is open to suggestions that achieve just that without making the whole front section a spec part.

2014 was a chance to make bigger chances (underbody, and getting rid of the fins), so I doubt there will be major chances for years.

I actually think the narrow width makes the cars look a bit more nimble/agile. 919 looks by far best so far. R18 is worse proportionally.
Heres a good idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Radiators have to be at the front of the car?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3362250)   #99
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
So far it looks good from the front. I'm afraid though that we'll see the same minibus cockpit lenght as the other contenders. The current rules'll never produce flowing beauties like the GT-One or EXP Speed 8.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3362255)   #100
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Once the rules-makers start trying to mandate the appearance of cars it is time to watch a new series.

Cars need to be quick and safe .... period. Form will follow function.

As for the chassis and tires being narrower ... sure it gives (potentially) less mechanical grip, but that is also a new challenge for the engineers.

Further, the rules-makers are Always slowing the cars down some because there are reasonable safe limits for straightaway and cornering speeds given the types of track upon which these cars race---and the limits of the human organism.

These cars were not made less safe because the tires are narrower, and if grip was all that important, ACO would mandate sprint bodywork downforce levels at Le masn, not trimmed out torpedo-cars.

2014 cars are in no way less safe---in fact they are significantly more safe because of better outward vision and more intrusion protection.

These cars might end up being alittle slower than their predeccessors for a short while, but history shows that in a short while engineers will have found ways to go faster with less.