Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2930520)   #51
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THE "B" type letters in Chevron.

I am just looking for an answer to a simple QUESTION.

If the "B" suffix used in the type numbers for all Chevrons stood for "B"ridges & not Bennett,where did the previous numbers come from prior to John Bridges becoming a Director of Chevron Racing Cars at the end of 1967/68?
i.e. B1,B2,(Clubmans Cars) B3,B4,B5,B6(G.T. Cars) & B7.(F3 Car).
Indeed David Bridges never refered to the B5 as a B5, only as a Chevron G.T. Car with my engine & gearbox in it.
To slightly confuse the issue even more find attached one of my photo's of John Bridges semi works "Red Rose" F3 Team for the 1968 season,taken at his garage in Chester.
Left. The late Chris Williams. Right. Alan Rollinson. Forefront.Brian Redman,
John Bridges stood at the back.
You will notice a sign at the front of the Car simply saying " The New F3 Chevron " at this stage no mention of a "B"9.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2930527)   #52
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
1968 "Red Rose" F3 Team.

Attached photo to above.
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Rose F3   Team for 1968.     note. New F3 Chevron, not a B9 at this stage..jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2932147)   #53
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossyhodge View Post
I am just looking for an answer to a simple QUESTION.

If the "B" suffix used in the type numbers for all Chevrons stood for "B"ridges & not Bennett,where did the previous numbers come from prior to John Bridges becoming a Director of Chevron Racing Cars at the end of 1967/68?
The numbers were allocated at the end of 1968. There was an article in Motoring News explaining how the Chevron GTs were now being retrospectively called the B3, B4, B5, B6 and B8. I don't have the date to hand but can follow up later with it. Late November from memory.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2932243)   #54
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
THE "B" type letters in Chevron.

Thanks for the imfo Allen,thats 0ne puzzle i can finally put to rest.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3045041)   #55
bluesbrother30
Rookie

United States
West Sacramento, California
bluesbrother30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are they now??

Wanted to throw this out to another group and see what sticks. I have been researching a handful of B-9 Chevrons that made it to the US. There are three cars that I have come up short on......first is a B-9 that was purchased via Fred Opert and went to the father son team of Warren Flickinger. The son drove the car for about one year, sold the B-9, I believe the end of 1969, and moved to a Winkelmann. The father has passed and the son's last address was a homeless shelter in Denver Colorado. I believe the car was yellow, where did it go?? Second, Thomas Gelb drove a B-9 turned B-14, in 1970. He went upside down in the car and took up fishing. The car I believe was repaired by Opert. The car was light blue, chassis FB-68-8, where did it go??. Last but not least is the car driven by Canadian Wayne Kelly. Car was purple and white, raced by him in 1969. Anyone have knowledge of that car?? Any tips would be appreciated

ms
Old 3 Oct 2022, 21:06 (Ref:4128594)   #56
titan6
Rookie

United States
California
titan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here are some photos of a B9 F3 car currently up to last year being raced in Japan that were sent by a Japanese friend.

Unfortunately the # No is unknown at this time.
It should be noted this car(yellow, Japanese car) shows the rear suspension upgrade. It shows the rear top link position that was later added(around mid 68 season) it may also have sheet metal strengthening of the chassis, an update that was added to the F3 B9s that lead to Tim Schenken dominating the later part of the season. The top link was moved further inside, lowering the roll center, adding rear grip. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
In the early B9, that top link was mounted on the same bolt as rear dampener. This inner mounting of the top link was standard on the B10, maybe where the idea started.
This set up continued on the B15 & 17 and I imagine the increased rear grip with the narrower F3 tires is why they were noted as very understeering cars.
Old 2 Mar 2023, 01:58 (Ref:4145458)   #57
titan6
Rookie

United States
California
titan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Also some pictures of a B9 # F3.5.68 undergoing restoration on the West Coast.

I might be sticking my neck out but it certainly looks like the 1off B9B as this # no is definately one of the original "Red Rose" cars used in F3 back in the 1968 season. ( Noting the semi stressed centre section & reconditioned fuel cell )

Apparently it found its way into the U.S. via Canada, the present owner not having much of an idea what it was.
Another indication this may be the 1 off B9B if the upper rear suspension mount. This inner mount location for the upper suspension link and the shock are together was not used on the B9 but was used on the later B15. Late in the 68 season an upgrade was made to some existing B9's moving the upper suspension link inner location but the shock was left at it's original position. This upgrade can be seen in the yellow Japanese car.
FYI: This upgrade was responsible for surge in B9 competitiveness and gave Chevrons their reputation as very understeering cars.