Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Sep 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3669201)   #26
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Thats how I read it too Hick

That was how the did the WRX round. and if you buy early you will pay an admin fee.

15 is great value, 20 is pushing it a bit but still not bad.
I would happily pay £30 for a rallycross series that had fewer classes and strong, meaningful competition. Sadly, despite everything that has been said, we still have this daft fragmented class structure.

I still enjoy the sport but I've had a couple of friends interested in competing who have taken one look at the championships, scratched their heads and gone and done something else. They can't be the only ones.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3669255)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A very good point leo, and one that I think gets overlooked. Rallycros should be booming, the apparent success of WRX is not filtering down.

Other rallycross series in parts of Europe are managing to do fine, thought they often have when we struggle. Our numbers are OK, just the daft casses and classes within classes.

Our system has been in disrepair for some years now, and until someone bangs their collective heads together and amalgamates the series we will be in this rather silly situation.

They dont seem to care though as little is being done to sort it out, little men with their little empires dragging the sport down.

One series, no separate Irish series, no separate BTRDA. It's so simple you could scream.

Classes needs work really, because of the way things have been messed about there are now little factions of series within the sport, some hard decisions need to be made, and sadly no-one has the vision or the balls to taken them.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3669257)   #28
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A bit late but here's my vid from Monday's action if anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj9VOlI7R28

Managed to get action from most the classes heats and semis but only got the Supercar, RX150 and Super National finals
Old 2 Sep 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3669276)   #29
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Chunder. For me Supercars 4 wd. Then below 1600 cc and above 1600 cc. 2wd. Three classes, all the British and Irish series into one Championship.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3669323)   #30
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Spot on Chunder. For me Supercars 4 wd. Then below 1600 cc and above 1600 cc. 2wd. Three classes, all the British and Irish series into one Championship.
Agree then wtf do I know!

I went on Monday and had a really good day. Thought £20 was a bit steep to get in. However getting to see all the heats etc in one day made it worth it. The facilities including the dreaded Lydden toilets were improved as was the catering, the outlet at the bottom of the paddock was nearly great! Did anyone else think the driving was more robust than in the past? A bit to much BTCC for me.
I'd also like to say how thoroughly pleasant the Proctor/Bellerby bunch are having been near or in there company for a few meetings going back years.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 09:18 (Ref:3669356)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that the reason the price was higher was to probably try and recoup some of the WRX hosting fees.

They dont do much else at Lydden these days to a lot of peoples annoyance, so they need to make as much as they can from their holiday dates where people are rolling in who perhaps don't go regularly.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 09:50 (Ref:3669358)   #32
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, they were also charging £10 for a grandstand seat, which given the layout of Lydden you can see everything anyway from prity much were ever you stand so that did seam a tad nuts.

Also if you bought ticket online in advance it was £15 + £1.50 transaction fee, compare that to Croft were you can get a weekend ticket that covers the final round of the Championship on Saturday + the GP on Sunday for £18 + £1.50 transaction fee. which too me seams to be a cracking bargain!
Old 3 Sep 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3669366)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Back in the day Croft was always an insanely cheap track to go to, I used to travel there regularly to watch rallycross on the old track. There, Cadwell, Lydden for ERC and Brands for early season and GP (when the title fitted the event!).

I did go to the new one once, when they got Supernationals and a few ERC guys over, but since then it has kind of lost its appeal, and needs to drop the GP tag. Superprix is fine, but reminds me of Stott the man who hastened the two series structure that has so ruined things!!

But agreed, for a two day meeting that is very good value and makes Lydden look a little greedy, nothing new there.

But as I say they are recouping their WRX hosting fees and capitalising on a family bank holiday crowd, lots of other tracks do the same with F1 and MotoGP hosting fees, just a shame that WRX seems to think they are big enough now to do the same, yet offer very little in on track action in comparison to even some national series.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 08:27 (Ref:3670234)   #34
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just been to watch Monster jam At the Principality in Cardiff (my guilty pleasure) I don't think anybody can complain about the cost of a Full days racing at Lydden on Bank Holiday Monday

Monster Jam Bill (2.5 hour show)

Tickets £39 each two of us
Car parking £20

If I wanted paddock access for an hour that was an extra £10 each

Total £98 ( I avoided all food and drink and Merch outlets there was no way you was getting a picnic in)

Lydden cost 5 hour show (taking into account lunch and gaps)

£15 each
Car parking FREE
and can bring your own food and drink FREE
Paddock access FREE
Old 5 Sep 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3670256)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I guess it depends on what you call value.

Was it a good show? It is purely designed as one, not a race event or a championship.

Monster Jam is a once in a lifetime event in the UK, it doesn't happen frequently.

Would you not expect to pay to park at a venue in a big city?

You would at football or rugby, why not a racing event? It isn't surrounded by grassland like Lydden is.

Isn't Monster Jam a far, far, far bigger event than a round of British rallycross? Far more family friendly in terms of times, accessibility.

I agree you should not be paying to access the pits, that is always pushed as being a big thing with Monster Jam, didn't know you had to pay, that's robbery.

But comparing this to a national championships is a bit like comparing an NFL league game at Wembley with a sort of European NFL game between I don't know Berlin and Amsterdam at a small footy ground. Monster trucks is like car WWF, not really a sport.

Not really like for like, but some interesting points raised.

And to be honest, I think the reason people are mentioning the price at Lydden is that is has jumped up in price a lot in recent years, with no real jump in quality or facilities. I don't think people are saying it's bad value necessarily. Its a lot dearer than a clubby at Snetterton or Cadwell, which is what really it should be compared to.

Last edited by chunder; 5 Sep 2016 at 11:32.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 06:44 (Ref:3670436)   #36
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I guess it depends on what you call value.

Was it a good show? It is purely designed as one, not a race event or a championship.

it had elements of a good show, but non of the razamataz I was expecting. no support racing, and only a 5 minute fmx motocross demo.

Monster Jam is a once in a lifetime event in the UK, it doesn't happen frequently.

Would you not expect to pay to park at a venue in a big city?

totally, it wasn't a criticism. We take it for granted that parking at motorracing events is FREE, but time will come when circuits will look at generating revenue that way.

You would at football or rugby, why not a racing event? It isn't surrounded by grassland like Lydden is.

Isn't Monster Jam a far, far, far bigger event than a round of British rallycross? Far more family friendly in terms of times, accessibility.

I would say rallycross was more family friendly, at this monster jam they at least explained what was happening, previous ones have been poorly planned and no body had no idea what was going on.

I agree you should not be paying to access the pits, that is always pushed as being a big thing with Monster Jam, didn't know you had to pay, that's robbery.

But comparing this to a national championships is a bit like comparing an NFL league game at Wembley with a sort of European NFL game between I don't know Berlin and Amsterdam at a small footy ground. Monster trucks is like car WWF, not really a sport.

Not really like for like, but some interesting points raised.

And to be honest, I think the reason people are mentioning the price at Lydden is that is has jumped up in price a lot in recent years, with no real jump in quality or facilities. I don't think people are saying it's bad value necessarily. Its a lot dearer than a clubby at Snetterton or Cadwell, which is what really it should be compared to.
and yes there are things that can be improved, we are all aware of that
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3672062)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Been a busy couple of weeks, so only just got round to uploading some pictures!

Few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57673716631406

If any of you are interested!
Old 17 Sep 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3672988)   #38
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shots, there Steve.

Well done for getting a shot of Todd Crooks - sadly his day didn't last long due to a suspension issue and without replacement shockers available, that was his day, sadly.

Had to get my head around being at Lydden in the sun, for a change!

There was some superb racing and very entertaining it was too.

Missed the Mehlberg/ Rumsey incident. Dare say it would be similar to the one that caused Paul Maybourne's to resemble a banana! Such a shame for all involved. Perhaps Mehlberg and his friends should be guided towards banger racing racing where their 'style' of racing would be aceptable!

Thanks again Steve for the pics and to GeordieCraig for your video. I appreciate your contributions - a great way of remembering a great day's racing.

Cheers, Steve
Old 19 Sep 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3674038)   #39
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Well done for getting a shot of Todd Crooks - sadly his day didn't last long due to a suspension issue and without replacement shockers available, that was his day, sadly.
Sadly there seemed to be quite a few casualties from the practice session; Crooks and Easterbrook both disappeared early and Simon Horton lunched his rear diff!

Quote:
Had to get my head around being at Lydden in the sun, for a change!
Yeah, been a couple of years since we had a sunny August round at Lydden!

Quote:
Thanks again Steve for the pics and to GeordieCraig for your video. I appreciate your contributions - a great way of remembering a great day's racing.
No worries: it's a pity the whole work thing stops me from getting my pictures sorted sooner.

(And, yet again, I failed to make it up to the Retro tent!)
Old 19 Sep 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3674148)   #40
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Sadly there seemed to be quite a few casualties from the practice session; Crooks and Easterbrook both disappeared early and Simon Horton lunched his rear diff!

Yeah, been a couple of years since we had a sunny August round at Lydden!

No worries: it's a pity the whole work thing stops me from getting my pictures sorted sooner.

(And, yet again, I failed to make it up to the Retro tent!)
Steve, you're not wrong about early casualties. There was also Mike Boak whose Audi TT I saw in the paddock but not on track. There was also Mark Flaherty who had a double whammy in that his Focus supercar died early in the day but was unable to use his MG Metro 6R4 on track as it was on static display and not entered for competition. Not many drivers had two cars present they couldn't use!!

Had wondered what happened to Simon Horton. Sadly Mad Mark didn't show the turn of speed he had earlier in the season but was delighted to see Steve Hill more competitive than I've ever seen. Hope this means the Evo X is becoming more developed? Expensive way to be an also-ran otherwise!

Thanks again for your input. Hope to catch you at another meeting. The Retros aren't heading to Pembrey so next meeting with the display will be the Croft weekend in October. Cheers, Steve
Old 19 Sep 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3674184)   #41
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Hi Hampton, cheers for the comment and cheers for the pics Steve, spot on as always and i know what you about work getting in the way of doing and sorting and editing!

For the first time i managed to get up to the Retro tent and have a good look at your handy work Hampton and got to say its bloody impressive. I used to love doing the Tamiya plastic kits when i was little but never had the patience to do them properly. Would love to get back into them again but last time i went into local model shop i nearly had a heart attack of the price of them.

Just in-case people not see them heres a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6410.jpg  
Old 26 Sep 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3675248)   #42
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hi Craig,

Very many thanks for posting the photo of my display at Lydden. Very good of you (I'm OK at making models but shocking at taking photographs to post on the Forum! and thank you for your kind words. Apologies for not thanking you sooner - I thought I had but perhaps some posts have been removed?!

You are not wrong about the prices of kits - but then they apear to be better produced, more accurately to scale and more detailed than the Tamiyas of old. Then again, I build very few kits from scratch - most of my creations start out as complete road or rally cars. There have been several times I've started with a perfectly lovely £50 model and taken it apart! That's a bit stomach-churning, I can tell you!!

Thanks again and hope to see you at another meeting. Cheers, Steve
Old 26 Sep 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3675250)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Apologies for not thanking you sooner - I thought I had but perhaps some posts have been removed?!
Steve - you're not imagining things - you had posted a thanks but Tenths had to be restored from a backup so some posts were lost.

As an aside - how do you produce the decals for your models? That's the bit that puts me off trying anything similar (or more specifically trying to make a model of our rally car - the first one was easy as it was plain white!)
Old 26 Sep 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3675271)   #44
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hi Bert,

Thanks for putting my mind at rest!!

Yes, the decals can make or break a model - I use a desk top publisher (Serif Pageplus X8) to design and size up the decals. Sometimes that very easy. reducing a logo from Google, other times its building the logo and colours up from scratch, trying to find the right font for lettering etc. Some of the models are 'painted' entirely with decals which I've created to be the correct colour and that can be very labour intensive.

Once I'm happy with the design and size of the logos and wording, I print the decals on decal paper, seal the printer ink to the paper (as the ink is water soluable) then its a matter of cutting them out and water sliding them on to the model.

If you'd like to know more, send me a PM with your queries and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers, Steve