Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 12 Apr 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2175925)   #1
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
terrifying Hillclimb - Bergrennen

Has anyone seen the above on Youtube? it is simply AWEsome
the thing seems to do 0-170 in 4 seconds up a hill.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2175957)   #2
John Robinson
Rookie

John Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link?

Lots of Bergrennen videos on YouTube.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2175963)   #3
John Robinson
Rookie

John Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, I see now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f0p4Qu2qxc
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2175982)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mad...I hope he won...
Old 12 Apr 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2176125)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
you either like hillclimbs - or you don't (I do). He could have been a bit smoother and knocked another second or two off IMO.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2176246)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Not CLSS, is it though?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2176284)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
you either like hillclimbs - or you don't (I do). He could have been a bit smoother and knocked another second or two off IMO.
Possibly so but it wouldn't have looked so quick!

I was looking at other Youtube vids of this place and there were some really interesting machines going up the hill. In particular, there was a white Lancia S4 - great sound, supercharger whining away.

This place is in Switzerland right? I thought motorsport was banned there. What's the loophole that allows them to hillclimb?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2176501)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Don't know Graz, but believe it or not, that's quite normal for European Hillclimbs. The car BTW is a Norma, a bit special eh?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2176611)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
. . .This place is in Switzerland right? I thought motorsport was banned there. What's the loophole that allows them to hillclimb?
Switzerland banned racing after (I think) the big accident at Le Mans in 1955.

But they did not ban hillclimbs.

I think they have just recently lifted the racing ban but I need to check that.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 13 Apr 2008 at 19:26.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2176618)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Now I've looked at the video; just watch where some people are standing! (23 seconds in is the most scary but the 50m after the start is pretty brave/foolish.)

Still I suppose it's good to see the Swiss supporting evolution in action.

Well on their way to another disaster.

Great drive though.

Jim
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2176702)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
This place is in Switzerland right?
Is Bergrennen not in Austria?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2176763)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Ok, the VW Bus with Porsche BiTurbo....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9adkvVyFY0
Old 14 Apr 2008, 06:31 (Ref:2176856)   #13
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Don't know Graz, but believe it or not, that's quite normal for European Hillclimbs. The car BTW is a Norma, a bit special eh?
Hi b1ackcr0w, any idea what motor he runs in it?

'Cos by the look of it, it has more power than my FF1600
And I wonder how it would go in a Club Level Single Seater
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2176873)   #14
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re.

The car in question is a Norma M20 with BMW power, the driver is Allain Castellano, and at the time of the video he was the French hill-climb champion. I believe the car now resides in Scotland. Oh, and he's not brave or foolish, just good.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2176880)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl
Is Bergrennen not in Austria?
'bergrennen' is german for hillclimb-literally ''mountain race' there are many in germany,switzerland & austria.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2176920)   #16
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Now I've looked at the video; just watch where some people are standing!
Its hard to believe that in todays safety conscious and litigous world that an event with so many hazards would be passed as safe.
Imagine what was going through that guys mind "Mind the spectators,that could be messy. Oh yeah, must remember to stay away from the cliffs and the 200 ft drop behind the armco. Doh, nearly forgot to watch out for the various cars and vans parked at the side of the road"

Crazy stuff. Some pilot though..
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2176932)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37
The car in question is a Norma M20 with BMW power, the driver is Allain Castellano, and at the time of the video he was the French hill-climb champion. I believe the car now resides in Scotland. Oh, and he's not brave or foolish, just good.
Any idea what BMW engine it runs?

[Quote]you either like hillclimbs - or you don't (I do). He could have been a bit smoother and knocked another second or two off IMO.[quote]

BTW did you notice his concentation was not quite as sharp towards the end of the run (understandably). The first quarter was more like a computer game.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2176966)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
I should perhaps have said that my concern is for the spectators (and marshals) and the effect on the sport of damage to them.

I fully support the right of the driver to make their own assessment of the likely dangers (and then go for it ).

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2176969)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
'bergrennen' is german for hillclimb-literally ''mountain race' there are many in germany,switzerland & austria.
The Bergrennen is a Hillclimb Series as Rob says that sees competitors campaigning all over Europe.

Most of the clips on YouTube have been lifted from DVDs a couple of which i have. They are excellent and well worth seeking out.

My favourite venue is Trento-Bondone where there are over 30 hairpin bends - its like they joined all the British Hills together for one run!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2176999)   #20
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
Quote:
I should perhaps have said that my concern is for the spectators (and marshals) and the effect on the sport of damage to them.

I fully support the right of the driver to make their own assessment of the likely dangers (and then go for it ).

Regards

Jim
We are all fully aware that if we make a mistake on track then the marshalls will do their best to get us out of trouble. As for drivers thinking about marshalls or vehicles at the side of the track, then I'm afraid , at least as far as I am concerned it doesn't happen. If you have to think about anything but driving then you have a problem. I think the meeting in the video, which has been going around the hill climb fraternity for some two years at least was at Baume Geminos, and is what inspired to me to have a go in France. The hills are so much longer, and as Sprinty say's, Trento Bondone is one of the longest at about 15kms, though it is my understanding that 'Demo' drivers are not timed, which seems rather a waste.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2177244)   #21
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Oh dear. Haste (or laziness) is reducing the clarity of my contributions. Sorry for that.

Quote:
I meant that the driver needs to decide that they understand (to whatever level of detail suits them) the risks which they run and to accept those risks.

I'm not expecting drivers to analyse the risks to which the organisers are exposing spectators/marshals. That is for the governing body, the organisers and those individuals to understand and accept. (Or mitigate by not standing in stupid places even if allowed to. )

The more I see of continental hillclimbing, the more I feel I might go and visit one some time. Wonder if they accept foreign marshals?

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 14 Apr 2008 at 14:03.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2177283)   #22
SAMD
Veteran

You know, I bet if they used that hill as a stage, a WRC champion wouldn't get to within 10sec. of that time. Maybe 20secs.
Awesome though they are and with the professionalism of a manufacturers team behind them.

Last edited by SAMD; 14 Apr 2008 at 15:20.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2177323)   #23
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37
The hills are so much longer, and as Sprinty say's, Trento Bondone is one of the longest at about 15kms, though it is my understanding that 'Demo' drivers are not timed, which seems rather a waste.
As the "demo" drivers are usually not competing with European licenses (i.e. MSA ones) then they fall outside of the competition regulations. I understood from a certain Chevron driver that the clocks were still run for the drives just that the times did not appear in the final results!

Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2177346)   #24
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
The more I see of continental hillclimbing, the more I feel I might go and visit one some time. Wonder if they accept foreign marshals?

Regards

Jim[/QUOTE] At the events that I have competed in, AFAIK, all the marshalls are French and supplied by the A.C.O and are all 24hr veterans. They will get you out of a car just as quick as any other marshall. It would be great to see some orange overalls, however, none speak English so unless you speak passable French then you could have a comunication problem. The Doctors all speak English.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2177361)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
The O level exam boards decided (four times!) that my command of the French language was not passable in any sense of that description. And it has not improved since those days.

If someone wants to sell me something (like dinner or a drink) we can usually get by.

Regards

Jim