Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Oct 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3145754)   #2426
repa
Rookie

Hungary
repa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
That does not explain why Toyota claims that the efficiency target for diesel engines is only 42.5%. Your calculations suggest that it should be above 45%, exactly what Toyota is asking for.
Yes, it's true, even with the higher heating value, you get 43,4% of efficiency, which is still far away from the 42,5%. You can get the Toyota numbers if you calculate the diesel engine efficiency with the gasoline heating value!
But i don't know what to think, because 41,5% looks really untouchable for petrol engines, but the higher heating value for gasoline doesn't seem realistic for me for an E20 fuel, so at least one factor is out of the acceptable limit. I'm on the subject to get some information about a racing gasoline, but it won't be E20... While i wrote these lines i found data of the Sunoco race fuels.
Here the Green E15 has 17500 Btu/gallon which is 40,7 MJ/kg which means 43,4% of efficiency for petrol, but this number is the lower heating value, we still don't know the higher one (which is the real one)...

While at the diesel part, everything looks acceptable even with the average numbers.
My prof said that 45% of efficiency is achievable for diesel, but the 38% is the upper limit for the petrol engines, but their efficiency is rather below it.
And why Pesca is happy about the new regs, when Toyota's chief isn't? Henri was the man who wanted equivalence in the recent years and if the new regs would not give it, he would complain nowadays too...
Seems for me, that probably we really haven't got the real numbers of the aco...
Old 3 Oct 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3145759)   #2427
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by repa View Post
And why Pesca is happy about the new regs, when Toyota's chief isn't? Henri was the man who wanted equivalence in the recent years and if the new regs would not give it, he would complain nowadays too...
I'm not sure that's what he was saying, I think he was praising his engineers in being so precise in figuring out at what kind of disadvantage his team really was to the diesel cars.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3145823)   #2428
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, it's true, even with the higher heating value, you get 43,4% of efficiency, which is still far away from the 42,5%. You can get the Toyota numbers if you calculate the diesel engine efficiency with the gasoline heating value!
But i don't know what to think, because 41,5% looks really untouchable for petrol engines, but the higher heating value for gasoline doesn't seem realistic for me for an E20 fuel, so at least one factor is out of the acceptable limit. I'm on the subject to get some information about a racing gasoline, but it won't be E20... While i wrote these lines i found data of the Sunoco race fuels.
Here the Green E15 has 17500 Btu/gallon which is 40,7 MJ/kg which means 43,4% of efficiency for petrol, but this number is the lower heating value, we still don't know the higher one (which is the real one)...

While at the diesel part, everything looks acceptable even with the average numbers.
My prof said that 45% of efficiency is achievable for diesel, but the 38% is the upper limit for the petrol engines, but their efficiency is rather below it.
Seems for me, that probably we really haven't got the real numbers of the aco...
Speaking purely of brake specific fuel consumption and energy efficiency a gasoline engine with Atkinson cycle (like on road going and weak Toyota hybrids) tops out at 37%. Like you said 38% appears to be a theoretical limit for gasoline engines. And that is for a 1.8 liter engine that produces only 98 horsepower @ only 5,200 RPM and is all about maximizing efficiency above all else. That ain't gonna cut it in racing. Everything else is worse. Supposedly the new Ford Ecoboost turbo with direct injection is good for 34%. This is the same technology that Audi pioneered with the R8. I still don't know why Toyota claimed an unrealistic figure for their engine.

Everything I have seen for passenger diesels is a peak efficiency of at most 42%*. Anything higher is probably from marine diesels spinning under 500 RPM. Practically irrelevant in the discussion.

* Taking emissions equipment into consideration perhaps racing engines might do a little better than what I mentioned as they have little to no emissions requirements compared to road engines. Also the peak efficiency figures quoted here occur only at about 3/4 throttle at lowish RPM.

Last edited by chewymonster; 3 Oct 2012 at 18:13.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3145864)   #2429
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That does not explain why Toyota claims that the efficiency target for diesel engines is only 42.5%. Your calculations suggest that it should be above 45%, exactly what Toyota is asking for.
+
Quote:
Which is interesting that in the august issue of the Racecar Engineering, they write that these numbers are not the same numbers what the constructors saw earlier... And also there is an interesting quote from Pescarolo: "Bruno Famin told me i had to congratulate my technical team because every time we said their power we were right!"
So if Henri is happy with the new regs, than it looks for me that ACO has written them in the right way!
Maybe the Kinosh!ta inteview was made before ACO released the figures? The story is dated June 20, ACO held the press conference/presentation on June 14.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3145868)   #2430
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Btw, here is the RCE Aug issue article repa mentioned above (direct link to the article): http://www.zinio.com/pages/RacecarEn...16229686/pg-44

At least I had missed this.

Last edited by deggis; 3 Oct 2012 at 19:59.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3145894)   #2431
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/03/e...%28Autoblog%29
Eccelstone says he could drop the Turbo V6 engines for F1, perhaps that will affect the 2014/5 engine choices?
Old 3 Oct 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3145898)   #2432
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/03/e...%28Autoblog%29
Eccelstone says he could drop the Turbo V6 engines for F1, perhaps that will affect the 2014/5 engine choices?
He is only the commercial rights holder. Unless he can get Todt to change his mind, who cares what Bernie thinks? Surely the manufacturers will lobby to have a standard than could potentially race elsewhere and be more road relevant.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3145905)   #2433
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Btw, here is the RCE Aug issue article repa mentioned above (direct link to the article): http://www.zinio.com/pages/RacecarEn...16229686/pg-44

At least I had missed this.
I missed that article as well. Thanks a lot for the reference.

The following is crucial for the ongoing discussion:
Quote:
For the press conference only, the ACO converted the amount of energy allowed for each car per lap to a fuel allowance. The reasoning was that a quantity of fuel could be easily understood, while a quantity of energy could not. However, that led to considerable confusion, and engineers in the Le Mans paddock were advising observers to ignore the published figures.

The final set of regulations concerning energy permitted per car will be set once the chosen fuel supplier - at the time of writing thought to be Shell - release the calorific value of its fuel, both petrol and diesel. The fuel will be standard E20, up from E10 in 2012. Until this is finalised, no complete set of figures can be released.
So it does not make sense to do any calculations on the published numbers.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3145910)   #2434
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Thermal engines
  • 4-stroke piston engines (cost reduction – adaption to road-going use)
  • Free cubic capacity for manufacturers, high turbo pressure (4 bars) (efficiency, adaption to road-going use)
  • Cubic capacity limited to 5.5 litres for private teams (cost reduction)
  • Power of the cars controlled by a homologated fuel flow meter (efficiency)
  • Free air inlets: air restrictors cancelled, variable admission systems allowed (technological opportunities, efficiency, adaption to road-going use)
  • Fuel injection pressure free (technological opportunities, efficiency, adaption to road-going use)
  • Fuel: evolution to 2nd generation E20 bio fuels (currently E10) (sustainable development)
  • Fuel: diesel or petrol (cost saving – adaption to road-going use)
  • Possibility of an opening in the medium or long term to other sources of energy that have reached maturity (hydrogen, 100% electric) (technological opportunity)
  • Very costly exotic materials and systems banned (electromagnetic valves) (cost reduction).
source: http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...ation_2014.pdf

I wonder what "variable admission systems" are. Variable valve timing? Or VTG turbos?
According to the RCE article by Andrew Cotton, variable valve timing will still be banned.
Quote:
Variable geometry exhausts are also banned, as is variable valve timing and variable valve lift profile systems.
So the lobbying attempts by Baretzky have been unsuccessful.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3145917)   #2435
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Kinda sad to see some of that tech not allowed. I guess it's 'cost' effective in their eyes.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3145931)   #2436
repa
Rookie

Hungary
repa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder what "variable admission systems" are. Variable valve timing? Or VTG turbos?
I think it means that constructors can varies the effective length of the inlet duct for example. These technologies are banned now, only available in the GT category if the road going version also has it, as i remember. And it's written next to the air inlets, so it means how air can get into the engine, but not into the cylinder. And the last would be the VVT.
As i see, you can vary things only at the intake side, so VTG will be banned, because there you modify the turbine's angle.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3145962)   #2437
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
As i see, you can vary things only at the intake side, so VTG will be banned, because there you modify the turbine's angle.
I don't see this happening. It would be a big step backward if they had to go back to waste gate turbos.

VTG turbos have been allowed by the ACO since 2006 and Audi has been using them since 2010. Baretzky is a big fan of VTG technology because he lobbied hard (unsuccessfully) to get it allowed in the 2014 F1 engine rules.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3146041)   #2438
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
According to the RCE article the numbers in the table of press release about the 2014 rules should be ignored completely.

However, the article does mention the correct efficiency targets that the ACO has in mind:
Quote:
The target efficiency of an engine is 220 g/kWh for petrol, while diesel is 195 g/kWh, already a huge step up over the 2012 engines, although they are air restricted and therefore not working to full efficiency.
These numbers make it possible to calculate the required engine efficiency.
The only unknown factor is the energy content of the E20 fuel and diesel that will be used in Le Mans. As pointed out in the RCE, this can only be determined accurately when the fuel supplier has been selected.

220 g/kWh signifies that a petrol engine must produce 1000/220 * 3.6 = 16.36 MJ useful energy with 1 kg of petrol.
According to this recent article, which measures the property of different biofuel blends, E20 fuel has a density of 0.7541 kg/liter and a heating value of 32.43 MJ/liter. That means that E20 contains 43 MJ/kg energy. Clearly this is not state-of-the-art racing fuel, but it does give a good indication.
Using that number, the target engine efficiency is 16.36/43 = 38% for a petrol engine.

195 g/kWh signifies that a diesel engine must produce 1000/195 * 3.6 = 18.46 MJ useful energy with 1 kg of diesel.
We do not know the heating value of Shell's GTL-BTL-diesel blend that is used at Le Mans. This presentation states that a GTL-diesel blend, which is commercially available, has a net heating value of 42.8 MJ/kg.
Using that number, the target engine efficiency is 18.46/42.8 = 43% for a diesel engine.

Those target numbers seem in line with production engines. However, the target for the diesel is probably be a bit easier to achieve.

Last edited by gwyllion; 4 Oct 2012 at 13:01.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3146121)   #2439
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mhm, according to the PDF of the ACO

Quote:
Free air inlets: air restrictors cancelled, variable admission systems allowed
So, if i would move the VTG Charger direct to the entrance of the Air Intake or the VTG is very close to that, would this count as a variable admission system ?

It's just some reading between the lines of mine.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3146126)   #2440
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I must confess that the fuel quantity numbers in the press release seem to make sense after all.

We know that the target efficiency is 16.36 MJ/kg for petrol and 18.46 MJ/kg for diesel. And we can assume that the fuel density is 0.754 kg/l for petrol and 0.8338 kg/l for diesel.

This means the following amount of energy is available per lap for the different powertrain options:
  • petrol, 0M hybrid: 16.36 * 0.7540 * 4.95 + 0 = 61.07 MJ
  • petrol, 2M hybrid: 16.36 * 0.7540 * 4.80 + 2 = 61.22 MJ
  • petrol, 4M hybrid: 16.36 * 0.7540 * 4.65 + 4 = 61.37 MJ
  • petrol, 6M hybrid: 16.36 * 0.7540 * 4.50 + 6 = 61.52 MJ
  • petrol, 8M hybrid: 16.36 * 0.7540 * 4.42 + 8 = 62.53 MJ
  • diesel, 0M hybrid: 18.46 * 0.8338 * 3.99 + 0 = 61.42 MJ
  • diesel, 2M hybrid: 18.46 * 0.8338 * 3.93 + 2 = 62.50 MJ
  • diesel, 4M hybrid: 18.46 * 0.8338 * 3.81 + 4 = 62.62 MJ
  • diesel, 6M hybrid: 18.46 * 0.8338 * 3.68 + 6 = 62.65 MJ
  • diesel, 8M hybrid: 18.46 * 0.8338 * 3.56 + 8 = 62.80 MJ
Some observations can be made:
  1. Hybrids get a bit more energy per lap. This can be explained by the fact that they have to be 20 kg heavier and hence need a bit more energy during acceleration.
  2. Diesels get a bit more energy per lap. Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that diesel engines require more cooling than petrol engines and they will have a worse weight distribution and center of gravity.
  3. More powerful hybrids get a bit more energy per lap. Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that they require additional cooling and hence will produce more drag.
  4. I do not understand why there is such a big jump in the energy allocation for the 8 MJ hybrid petrol.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3146229)   #2441
chewymonster
Veteran

Quote:
According to the RCE article the numbers in the table of press release about the 2014 rules should be ignored completely.

Those target numbers seem in line with production engines. However, the target for the diesel is probably be a bit easier to achieve.
If those are the targets than the ACO is way off. Gasoline engines are not even close to 220. As I said earlier Atkinson cycle engine is at 225. Perhaps adding direct injection to it (as Toyota will in a couple of years) might make it a little better. A direct injected turbo is at 245. Deltawing claims 230-250 for their direct injected turbo (I am going to go with something closer to 250 being the true figure) If those are the figures that the ACO is using they are imagining things.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 19:01 (Ref:3146233)   #2442
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing that kinda bugs me about these energy regulations is that aero will become even more critical. And while I do enjoy aero efficiency, I worry about getting into a situation like F1 where the Aero has gotten so dependent on clean are that regulations have to be made that make passing possible.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3146249)   #2443
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
One thing that kinda bugs me about these energy regulations is that aero will become even more critical. And while I do enjoy aero efficiency, I worry about getting into a situation like F1 where the Aero has gotten so dependent on clean are that regulations have to be made that make passing possible.
It is different for Sportscars though, especially with the closing rates in the WEC.

Even if you got to an F1 situation where you can't pass, you will have MANY opportunities to set someone up for a pass in lap traffic.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3146293)   #2444
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
If those are the targets than the ACO is way off. Gasoline engines are not even close to 220. As I said earlier Atkinson cycle engine is at 225. Perhaps adding direct injection to it (as Toyota will in a couple of years) might make it a little better. A direct injected turbo is at 245. Deltawing claims 230-250 for their direct injected turbo (I am going to go with something closer to 250 being the true figure) If those are the figures that the ACO is using they are imagining things.
The efficiency of the 2014 F1 engines is actively discussed on the autosport technical forum.

Over there, someone is convinced that 220 g/kWh can be achieved with a Miller cycle and turbocompounding and 235 g/kWh is possible with lean burning and a conventional turbo. See http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...post&p=4756027 and http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...&#entry5779184
Old 4 Oct 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3146295)   #2445
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm sure LMP's punch a good size hole in the air, so with the draft they won't need a 'DRS' like device.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3146338)   #2446
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
It is different for Sportscars though, especially with the closing rates in the WEC.

Even if you got to an F1 situation where you can't pass, you will have MANY opportunities to set someone up for a pass in lap traffic.
When naturally battling for position the cars need situations like this to aid overtaking at the moment an have for sometime. IMO.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3146340)   #2447
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much extra drag does the Big Honkin' Fin and the Big Honkin' Holes add?

How much does that help in drafting?

Maybe MulsanneMike would know.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3146427)   #2448
chewymonster
Veteran

Quote:
The efficiency of the 2014 F1 engines is actively discussed on the autosport technical forum.

Over there, someone is convinced that 220 g/kWh can be achieved with a Miller cycle and turbocompounding and 235 g/kWh is possible with lean burning and a conventional turbo. See http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...post&p=4756027 and http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...&#entry5779184
I think those are best case scenario figures. The Miller cycle is the more advanced version of the Atkinson cycle I was talking about and needs a supercharger to work. Mazda had one such engine in mid 1990s but not anymore. It might be better in theory but if it really was better than everyone would be using it but no one does.

Just for reference the current F1 engines are at about 270 peak efficiency but at race RPM are in the 350+ and higher.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3146459)   #2449
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm sure LMP's punch a good size hole in the air, so with the draft they won't need a 'DRS' like device.
exactly. manufacturers can also create a low drag aero package for le mans, so there is no point introducing drs.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:52 (Ref:3150673)   #2450
JAG__
Rookie

England
JAG__ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A look at the '14 P1 regs.

Nice surprise, big rear wings are back!

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept12.html