Old 26 Oct 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3157909)   #26
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
So you've ruled out Mercs and MX5s on basically car snob grounds, but we're the snobs?

Why not an MX5? For that budget it really is your best choice for a proper driver's car.

If you can find one, how about a 200SX?
No, not snobbery, I just think that Mercedes has lost its way, the SLK is beyond my budget for a good one and I like the Crossfire styling, (now that remark will probably have me ducking behind the parapet!).

BUT......................, perhaps the attempted 'merger of equals' with Chrysler was too much of a distraction from their core engineering skills?

MX5? Sorry if I summarily dismissed them, I think they are great, but I was looking for other ideas that might have slipped me by.

Are Crossfires really that awful? Built in Germany by Karmann on an SLK chassis?

Only reply to that if you have actually driven one please!

Last edited by eclectic; 26 Oct 2012 at 10:18.

Steve McQueen.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3157911)   #27
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You could have compacted that into "It's American"

But it isn't!

Its as Merc platform and was built by Karmann in Germany, apparently.

Steve McQueen.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3157914)   #28
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
OMG I just read this. DO NOT BUY A CROSSFIRE. If you want a similar experience with better build quality, find yourself a nice Lada Riva.
Did you own one then?

Steve McQueen.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3157947)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
No, not snobbery, I just think that Mercedes has lost its way, the SLK is beyond my budget for a good one and I like the Crossfire styling, (now that remark will probably have me ducking behind the parapet!).

BUT......................, perhaps the attempted 'merger of equals' with Chrysler was too much of a distraction from their core engineering skills?

MX5? Sorry if I summarily dismissed them, I think they are great, but I was looking for other ideas that might have slipped me by.

Are Crossfires really that awful? Built in Germany by Karmann on an SLK chassis?

Only reply to that if you have actually driven one please!
Fair points.

If you want something vaguely interesting for under ten grand you're right that Merc probably isn't your best bet!

MX5 is the 'obvious' choice - and my own car history shows a consistent aversion to that.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3157950)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But it isn't!

Its as Merc platform and was built by Karmann in Germany, apparently.
Iirc when it was introduced it was based on the platform before the then current SLK which was, at the time, a relatively old design.

So as a then 'modern' car it perhaps lacked a little engineering credibility. Now, some years down the road, that may not matter so much.

No matter who built it I suspect it is reasonable to assume that the specs were aimed at the US market to fit with what Chrysler represented and so the overall feel of the thing would have been Americanised.

However I have never owned or driven one, so my comments may hold little weight.

One problem, however, might be parts availability.

Some years ago I bought a VX Senator. a '93 model, 4 years old when I got it. Great thing but expensive bits started to fail at around 150k miles and at 175k quite a few of the 'features' were playing up and a rear wheel arch was getting rusty.

I liked it enough to consider a refurb project but when I heard stories about basic components becoming unavailable - wheel bearings and the like - I thought better of it.

There were, apparently, about 25k Senators sold in the UK and many more on the continent (as Opels of course). Yet within a handful of years of it being discontinued and despite being the product of a mass manufacturer parts availability was a problem and, being reputed as a large luxury car, its value had sunk to very little.

So I chopped it for an Omega which could have been a nice car but was actually mechanically a pile of junk. Such is progress.

Sometimes the reality of a cheapish older 'fun' car is not as good as it may seem.

I got about 75k miles out of both the Senator and the Omega but the Omega had 40k fewer miles on the clock to start with and cost a lost more to keep on the road during my time of ownership.

Whether the same issues of parts availabiity would apply to a Crossfire used as a fun car I don't know. Sometimes low mileages create as much replacement stress as high mileages. I think I would do some checking though before taking a plunge.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3157952)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A woman at work has just bought an 04 plate 230SLK for around £3K
Old 26 Oct 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3158114)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Did you own one then?
No I had a coworker that had a SRT6 for several years. He loved it. I hated it and thought that it embodied everything that was wrong with Chrysler and Merc during that time. Maybe I am being wistful, but there were just too many better options for the same (or less) money 7-8 years ago.

The interior though... jeebus
Old 26 Oct 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3158115)   #33
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
A woman at work has just bought an 04 plate 230SLK for around £3K
That sounds good, high or low mileage?

Steve McQueen.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 17:34 (Ref:3158124)   #34
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That sounds good, high or low mileage?
I think it was around the 100K+ mark although it does need a boot respray due to an estranged wife marking it slightly.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3158181)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've got a woman customer with an 03 plate SLK that has done less than 20k that she has had from new. WHY ?

The main problem with buying "oddfish" cars is the availability of parts as the aftermarket won't cater for them apart from filters and brake pads etc.
The major car manufacturers only guarantee spares for 10 years.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 26 Oct 2012 at 19:38.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Oct 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3158237)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Merc are pretty good with the spares. Obviously not everything for anything is available immediately, but there shouldn't be a problem. Especially with that model.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3158242)   #37
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Merc are good for their spares because they don't change the mechanical parts much between the newer models as they come out.
Some of the parts have run for 30 plus years, if it ain't f****d don't fix it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Oct 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3158247)   #38
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Back in the late 60s when I ran a garage with my brother we had a 230SL Pagoda that had seen better days and used it as a vehicle for collecting spares.
I happened to see on a site the other day an advert for a genuine MB new front grill for one, just short of 3 grand !!!!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3159408)   #39
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you still had that 230SL Pagoda and cleaned it up a bit, you could sell it and buy another villa!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3159745)   #40
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
If you still had that 230SL Pagoda and cleaned it up a bit, you could sell it and buy another villa!
The way things are at the moment property-wise I could buy two or three !
Old 31 Oct 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3160644)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about a Nissan 350z? Super fast car and lots around for under £10k. Either that or a Mazda RX8? Other than that there are plenty of other fast cars around, although hot hatches like the Focus ST, Clio 200 cup, Megane etc.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3194223)   #42
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I was at the car auctions yesterday at Ingliston, Edinburgh. A very quiet sale day, few cars and fewer buyers.

An 06 Mazda RX8 50,000 miles, engine light on on dashboard, missing a repeater indicator light, with mot until august was unsold at £1,100!

Steve McQueen.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3194255)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was at the car auctions yesterday at Ingliston, Edinburgh. A very quiet sale day, few cars and fewer buyers.

An 06 Mazda RX8 50,000 miles, engine light on on dashboard, missing a repeater indicator light, with mot until august was unsold at £1,100!
Sounds like a Wheeler Dealers deal to me. You could have bought that and fixed a few problems and then flipped it for a profit.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 04:01 (Ref:3194413)   #44
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Sounds like a Wheeler Dealers deal to me. You could have bought that and fixed a few problems and then flipped it for a profit.
I love that show.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3194493)   #45
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Possibly.

Or you could have been stuck a grand or more deep into a lemon that needed another five or six grand spent on it (or more).

If the seals are properly gone on that engine, it's beyond repair. New engine or break it.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3198094)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Well for £400 what a steal ! I think I'll keep it for a while as they aren't worth a fortune but terrific to drive
This will be my first car. I adore them.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3198200)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
It handles and goes well, more to the point it's 100% reliable, the only downside is that it hasn't got power steering which could be a minus if I want to sell it.
A good car for no money !
Old 11 Feb 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3203168)   #48
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
This will be my first car. I adore them.
Owned a Black SE one of them. Wonderful, wonderful things. Worth every sneering hairdresser comment, worth having no luggage capacity. Changing gear is miraculously transformed from a mechanical action into an almost sexual experience.
Old 12 Feb 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3203658)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are just fun.