Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 16 Jun 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1635999)   #1
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

NoStaplesPlease should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR lawsuit

Hi, new here and I have a major question: What's going on with the lawsuit against NASCAR? This company that owns the KY Speedway wants to bring the Nextel Cup there -- but to do that they'd have to take it away from another one, maybe the Pocono. If this is true I am VERY concerned that more series races will be sued away from their current home tracks.

Here's a link to the site I've been reading about it: www.thetracksuit.info

The last news update I heard was in January, and I haven't seen anything since. Does anybody know anything more about this?
Old 17 Jun 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1636098)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should read the link to be more specific- but if it is BrutonSmith's Company, well yes he would like to take a date off the doubled up races and give it to Kentucky
i have heard a lot about this as well, and as far as I know nothing has been done since January...
Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1644208)   #3
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

Found out a bit more

You're right, virtually nothing since January. I've searched high and low and can find nothing. But I did find a petition (from the same source as before) to sign if you oppose the lawsuit. I do, so I signed: http://action.unitehere.org/campaign/thetracksuit

If you think this is a BS way to go about taking Nextel series races away from other tracks, you should sign too!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1644355)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What is NASCAR being sued for?

Is it just one company wants to host a NASCAR event, but to do so need to get rid of another, which leads them them to suing NASCAR because, in refusing them the race, they are impeding their right to make money?

I am just confused as to what grounds NASCAR is being sued on...
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1655745)   #5
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

Sorry for the rather delayed response, I was on vacation and then swamped when I returned so I'm just getting to check back on the conversation now.

I did a little more research, it's not a company, but the owners of the Kentucky Speedway that are suing NASCAR in order to get a cup race there. However, the company connection is that Richard Farmer, one of the track owners, is also the chairman of the Cintas Corporation, the largest provider of company uniforms. Anyway, Cintas is a partner of NASCAR, they provide uniforms and sponsorship. That seems to be a conflict of interest to me given that Kentucky already has a Busch and Craftsman races.

There is some background information regarding the lawsuit on this site , I posted it before. They are asking for $1.2 billion, yes billion, in damages and want every race opened up to a competative bidding process (so Farmer can buy a race).
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1655752)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
holy cow that is MONEY

1.2 B

yikes
tracks should open up for more dates, races should be bid on- but I am not a fan of double dates at any track. there are 3 major divisions in NASCAR and other series, tracks simply never promote a race.
there is a lot of nonsense and ISC being a majority contolled France family business owns most of the tracks, NASCAR is such an incest business...
Old 14 Jul 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1656227)   #7
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

Yeah, I'm asuming the $1.2 B is for shock value and they are hoping to bargain down from there.

Obviously I don't know all of the details, but I just don't like the approach that Farmer and the other owners are taking. I read that NASCAR told the owners of the Kentucky Speedway before they even built the track that they wouldn't get a cup race. However, Farmer wasn't an owner at that time, so now he comes in and sues NASCAR to get a race. Did they maybe try negotiating? Plus, nobody forced them to drop all that money on the track when they knew they wouldn't get a Nextel cup race.

Call me biased, but there are definitely certain tracks that I like having double dates (Richmond for one). Plus, I like having races on tracks with some history as their has been enough schedule changing lately IMO. If Farmer really wanted a race, he should have invested in a track that already has a race, not sue NASCAR to get one.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1656919)   #8
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just worry that if it succeeds, every man and his dog will go out and build an oval and have legal precedent to demand a Nextel cup race. Wasn't it Bernie Eccelstone, that when commenting on the indianapolis F1 gp was quoted; "If you say good morning in america, and it happens to be 12:05pm, you have a lawsuit on your hands"? (or something to that effect)

Enzo Ferrari
Old 20 Jul 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1661041)   #9
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

Exactly, in fact I may not be available for the next few days since I'll be outside building a track. Pocono doesn't need a race anyway and I think my neighborhood park would be a better location to host a cup race. In fact, why stop there in theory you could sue to change the venue for anything, the Superbowl, the ESPYs, the Oscars, you name it. Now, does anyone know a good lawyer?