Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2000, 21:59 (Ref:43767)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
A question for the panel...

Seeing as some of you support a specific driver or team (myself included), what is it that made you support them? For example, we have Minardi fan - why does he support Minardi? And so it goes on...

So why do you support your driver or your team?
Old 21 Oct 2000, 01:51 (Ref:43810)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I support Ferrari...the team
i am not just a F1 fan, but also a car nut.
Ferrari is til now the team that participates most gps, and produces its own cars to the market. i love Ferrari not because millions of people love them too, but because i find the team a wonderful team, i love the V12, i like the redness, i find that a Ferrari F1 car speaks alot about power, speed, grace. I find it seductive!~

Among the current drivers...i like TGF most, Mika close second by 0.009s.
He is a fast racer, he fights for wins. and because of that, i like Mika and JV. These are people who gives 100% and more and has a natural talent for F1. This season, he is a nice man, and him and Mika showed alot of sportsmanship with each other. That is why i like Mika and TGF compared to JV.
I would like to love them both equally, however, i have to make a choice. And i would choose MS over MH, because 1) he is more interesting a fella, jokes better!~ 2) He is always motivated to win, and more consistent 3) he can think better on his feet, or seat, whilst racing. 4) he is more exciting to watch. 5) he drives for my favorite team!

I do not like FErrari because of MS. But i like MS because of Ferrari, like i love all the drivers...

Old 21 Oct 2000, 01:59 (Ref:43811)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I support Jordan because they are still run by a man who loves racing and a good time, not a Faceless Corporation, and because they all have fun over there, and because they were smart enough to hire Jarno and Frenzy when other people said they were has-beens and prove they were not - and he will do the same with My Ricardo ... whom I love because he is surpassingly gorgeous and he answers his own mail.

But the most perfect car that ever was is the Lotus 79, and the most perfect pilot: Alain Prost.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 02:05 (Ref:43813)   #4
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like model cars too. I have 100 of them all over the house. If I have saved the money up I could have bought a real car by now...
So a car enthusiast will naturally go for the best tech in the industry and that has to be Formula One.

And Mercedes has the best car in the world! BMW in second.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 03:42 (Ref:43824)   #5
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all!

My favourite team of all time is Lotus. I know Chapman was a bit of a crook but I have a great deal of admiration for the guy. I though that he made the sport exiting in that he was able to up the stakes again and again. You know there is all this talk of “Ferrari is F1” but without the contributions of Chapman and Jim Hall who knows what F1 would be like now!

I do NOT like Ferrari. Though out the history of the World Championship they have always been able to manipulate the governing bodies into favouring them. I am not just taking about now, I am going as far back as the seventies. As for the way that the TV money is divided between the teams... money for “teams of historical significance..” We all know who that is! The money should be used by the FIA to buy tires for the smaller teams who, ironically have to buy their tyres rather than get them free. What is good for Ferrari has not always been in the best interests of the sport.

Tris
Old 21 Oct 2000, 04:10 (Ref:43827)   #6
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Hi all!
I do NOT like Ferrari. Though out the history of the World Championship they have always been able to manipulate the governing bodies into favouring them. I am not just taking about now, I am going as far back as the seventies. As for the way that the TV money is divided between the teams... money for “teams of historical significance..” We all know who that is! The money should be used by the FIA to buy tires for the smaller teams who, ironically have to buy their tyres rather than get them free. What is good for Ferrari has not always been in the best interests of the sport.

Tris
You comments are extremely unfair to Ferrari. That happens to everthing. Imagine UN Security Council without United States as permanent member. Then imagine F1 WITHOUT Ferrari. That's all I gonna say.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 04:47 (Ref:43830)   #7
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
You comments are extremely unfair to Ferrari. That happens to everthing. Imagine UN Security Council without United States as permanent member. Then imagine F1 WITHOUT Ferrari. That's all I gonna say.
[/B]
Come one! Unfair??? I could imagine F1 without Ferrari, no problem! It would be wonderful to have a championship were all the teams had equal influence. It is interesting that you site the UN as an analogy to F1: primarily run by the Americans for the benefit of the Americans, much like Ferrari and F1. Ferrari's influnce extends too far up F1's corridors of power.

I could site numerous rule changes that have gone Ferrari’s way to the detriment of the sport! The narrow track cars, sliding skirts, ban of the type 88, the semi automatic gear box not being banned, cars with illegal specifications not being disqualified from race results.... I could go on! It is not the driver’s fault but I have a great dislike for the way Ferrari influences the governing bodies. I am not anti-Ferrari but I do not look upon them with rosso corsa tinted glasses! Just because they have been around since the start of the championship means nothing to me.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 06:53 (Ref:43838)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 without Ferrari??!! Whahahaha, gosh. F1 would be a complete bore with nothing much to spice it up. As in a boyband who needs a cute guy that can also sing to attract female audience, F1 needs Ferrari who can race to attract global audience. Surely you do not believe that F1 would be better off without Ferrari!
Perhaps Ron should really go start his own racing series and let people race with total dominence, decipline, whine and all...!~See how many people he can attract!
Old 21 Oct 2000, 08:19 (Ref:43843)   #9
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I started to support JV because of his stunning debute when he trounced Damon. But support needs to be grown over time, and his move on TGF at Jerez in 97, and also his great qualifying lap at Silverstone in 98 (I think this is because I was there which magnifies its importance to me), have kept me a staunch supporter.

I suppose I also identify with his outspoken attitude and complete anti-F1 establishment stance.

In terms of teams I support Mclaren for two reasons: 1. they are the main rivals to Ferrari and 2. they allow their drivers to have equal equipment and chances.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 13:56 (Ref:43878)   #10
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Support

I've supported Ralf since he started in 97, first because I felt very sorry for him. It's obviously pretty tough to start in F1 with so much to learn while the eyes of the world are on you and so many critics ready to pounce at your smallest mistake -- but Ralf also had to put up with the pressure of having a star for a big brother and being reminded of that fact every five minutes.

I remember all the media saying "is he as good as his double-world champion brother" and that's a pretty tough ask for your first season - the best rookie season Ive seen in the past six or so years was JV and he had the advantage of being in the championship-winning car.

Now I have even more respect for Ralf because he has worked so hard to improve his driving - each season he gets better (and makes fewer mistakes) and I think of lot of his drives have flattered the Williams - particularly in 1999.

And there is still so much potential there - Im sure he will be a championship contender when the BMW engine comes sweet(er).

I also like JV for his attitutde that F1 should be fun - even the crashes, I'd love to see him back in a faster car.
And I have great respect for Michael for sticking it out at Ferarri when he could have won more championships easily if he had taken the McLaren deal -- but I really dislike the Ferarri team orders policy and the way they concentrate on one driver.

As for other teams I like Jordan because Eddie has done so much for the sport by bringing in new drivers, and he has really battled to get his team into championship contenders (ok last year not this year) He also knows how to have fun.

And I liked Stewart because Jackie and Paul put racing before business and I felt like the team really had a heart which is missing from some of the other big wigs.

Old 21 Oct 2000, 15:36 (Ref:43897)   #11
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I support Verstappen because he got me into F1 in the first place. And he also is the greatest thing in this part of the galaxy of course.

Fisi is my second favourite. Just because he's cool and fast.

I might like Schumi M. more than average, because from the day I've been watching F1 he was considered one of the best around. Others have come and gone, but there always has been Schumi. There could have been many greater drivers in the past, but I don't know enough about that.

There's no driver I really don't like.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give everybody an 8, Schumi a 9 and Jos and Fisi a 10.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 19:13 (Ref:43912)   #12
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
Come one! Unfair??? I could imagine F1 without Ferrari, no problem! It would be wonderful to have a championship were all the teams had equal influence. It is interesting that you site the UN as an analogy to F1: primarily run by the Americans for the benefit of the Americans, much like Ferrari and F1. Ferrari's influnce extends too far up F1's corridors of power.
[/B]

Wow Tris, you wrote just what i was going to! And i do say, yes I AM Anti-Ferrari

Never liked them and especially Cesare Fiorio, Jean Todt... And TGF, Alain Prost and so on...

I support people by instingt, by a feeling i have, i never racionalize. I started watching F1 in 84 and Senna was the first that got my attencion. Since then many... but always from a feeling. i can't say why.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 21:35 (Ref:43937)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In many ways it is easier to define why you do not support a driver. I admire Schu's skill but not the man. Same for the Swerve, just less skill.

On the plus side I liked Damon for the totally inrelated reason that he started racing bikes and from memory at one time worked as a motor cycle courier. I am a motorcyclist.

Of the current crop - Jacques (for his sense of humour), HHF (because he come across well) and Mika (because he has not been honed into the perfect interviewee as yet)

As for the team, Jordan. Who until recently were the best of the rest.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 23:53 (Ref:43957)   #14
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at this thread, I realise that my favourite drivers have always had one thing in common. They are fierce competitors, but exemplary sportsmen. Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart, Ronnie Peterson, Keke Rosberg, Michele Alboreto, Johnny Herbert to name but a few. They were lightning fast, but fair players.

There are few drivers who gain and retain my admiration whilst exhibiting gruff driving tactics. I suppose Dale Earnhardt is the exception that proves the rule...!

How shall I put it - I enjoy seeing drivers congratulating themselves on missing each others cars by inches, rather than remonstrating about who put whom in the gravel.

AMoffat, I know what you mean about defining why you don't support a driver. My enthusiasm for Eddie Irvine plummeted when I saw that documentary last year. Not a good PR tool at all.

And you're quite right about Damon. He was a motorcycle despatch rider for a while before he got his F3000 break. And a good racing motorcyclist he is too.
Old 22 Oct 2000, 00:17 (Ref:43964)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tim D, the Eddie documentary only aired in Australia last week. After looking forward to seeing it I couldn't last to the finish.

I guess I also look for something of the underdog in who takes my interest. But defining this criteria is too dificult. Was Damon an underdog in a Williams in the late 90's. Yes but why??
Old 22 Oct 2000, 01:29 (Ref:43979)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never liked Jacques as a person because I can't help comparing him to his father - who was one of my idols - but I think in equal equipment he'd be as good as TGF on the track.

Otherwise, I agree with Tim - the gentlemen racers get my vote every time.

And yes I love the Two Red Cars and always have, although frequently I have not particularly cared for those who sat in the driving seat. With all their alleged money and influence, it is very odd that they have frequently been "hopeless fast red Cadillacs" and it took 21 years for them to win a second WDC. If that is all they can buy with their money, they need a better organization!

I particularly like the 1982 Ferrari. The Lotus 79 was the better car of course. But I liked that Ferrari.
Old 22 Oct 2000, 02:15 (Ref:43984)   #17
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mhhh.....well....I would usually cheer for anyone who was capable of beating schu (I know it's not a very nice attitude but....). So I've been fan of Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen. However....I also like Frenzy a lot....why??....I don't know...first of all...he seems like a great guy....and...well...I was very impressed last year....and... Perhaps what I like is that he's a "low profile" driver that could give a suprise anytime.

And of course Juan Pablo Montoya. Not only because he's from my city but because his driving style and control over the car.....wow!
Old 22 Oct 2000, 10:17 (Ref:44011)   #18
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I support MH 'cause he's really a very fast driver, and fair as no one in the business. As TimD, I've always supported the drivers by his driving skills and his human side. When a boy, I was supporting Jackie Stewart and François Cevert. Then the likes of Scheckter -I think mainly because he was at Tyrrell-, Peterson, Gilles, Depailler, Laffite, Prost, Bellof, Alesi or Barrichello to name a few.

So, I dislike the arrogant drivers as TGF, the win-by-any-way as the same TGF or Senna.

Of course, I give all my support to PdlR -a true skillful driver- and Marc Gené -fast and consistent.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 00:18 (Ref:44160)   #19
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the Ferrari team because it was the first car I recognised when I was a kid. Also my first car was a Ferrari...ok so it was a battery powered thing designed to carry three year olds, but it was my first car. I also support the Schumi brothers because Michael was the best driver when I started watching F1, and everyone used to slate him because he was German, so I decided to support him, and have supported him since. And when Ralf came on the scene I supported him too.
Dhru.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 00:41 (Ref:44163)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

and everyone used to slate him because he was German,

No Dhru,

people slate the guy because he was/is in many peoples view, fast, spectacular (particularly if you are beside him)and above all arrogant and superior in attitude. The fact he is German has nothing to do with it, do people slate HHF?
I'd slate him no matter what the nationality because I am forming my opinion based on his actions and words.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 06:03 (Ref:44192)   #21
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No i dont like gentlemen racers!!
For me its a contradiction of terms

I dont like the Hills, Coultards and Prosts....their attitude kinda silences the F1 Engine.

However I do like the Mika kinda-gentlemen who can go out there and blow the opposition away with some smooth driving.I love his accent...flathouth!!!

But the ultimate attitude is the Schuey+Jacques attitude...full of slides!

I support Schumacher bcoz i think hes the perfect character for Legendary status. His ups+downs are always interesting. His sheer brilliance in car control and not-so-smooth style reminds you that theres a human driving on the limit!
Overall i like his story. From Kerpen to Maranello....its one of those that'll make a great movie too
Old 23 Oct 2000, 20:59 (Ref:44344)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I've just realised that I haven't told any of you why I support Ralf! Durh!

Well, when he came on the scene in 1997, I reserved judgement on him, as I thought he was very quick but a bit wild. I was also a Damon Hill supporter then. In 1998, when he had matured quite a bit and I knew Damon had a maximum of one season left in him, I decided to support Ralf. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I've never really supported a team, always the team that my driver was at. So majority of the time, I've been supporting Williams, either for Damon or for Ralf. I also went through a bit of a phase of being enthusiastic about Arrows in 1997! Hmm...no offence to Arrows fans, but they were pretty awful then.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 23:52 (Ref:45483)   #23
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i support Ralf cos he has great talent and gorgeous looks!! I did notice his driving first though! I saw him driving along in his Jordan and i thought hey he seems good for a newcomer! Very wild, and daring thats why i liked him!! Then i saw his pic in a book and thought OMG he is gorgeous aswell My fav team is Ferrari cos they always show determination, unlike Mclaren who just moan moan and ermmm moan!!

I also am i great fan of Michael!!! But Ralf comes first!!
Old 29 Oct 2000, 09:36 (Ref:45517)   #24
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny, but I don't really go for anyone. Although i don't go for some people. Confused?

Well, I don't like TGF, so in the past, my fav drivers have been Hill, jacques, DC and Mika.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Minardi's!

I can't imagine F1 without Minarid's on the back row. F1 would bot be the same

Have a Mega day
Old 30 Oct 2000, 00:44 (Ref:45794)   #25
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi and Michael Schumacher are my favourite drivers, I became a fan of Jean beacuse of his on-the-edge driving style, his passion for racing, and his bad luck.

I have followed Michael Schumacher from his first race at Spa and knew from his qualifying that day, that he was something special. I consider him the quickest driver of his era but has done a few stupid thing on the track but is also the most active driver in making F1 safer.

I'm also rooting for Jacques Villeneuve, mostly for his guts and determination but also for his speed. I was amazed when he outqualified Damon Hill, his team-mate on his debut in Grand Prix Racing.

Not until the middle of '98 did I like anything about Eddie Irvine. Then I started to like his funny statements and funny humour. I always believed he was a very quick driver though.

Not too go on forever I'm rooting for Fisichella and Zonta too!

I'm not a deeply fan of a specific team but Jordan is my favourite one and Eddie Jordan the best team manager IMO.
I admire the passion of the Minardi team, the same for Ferrari.