Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Apr 2000, 00:38 (Ref:8070)   #1
Mephisto
Rookie

Mephisto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to start a new topic about a car that shocks everybody only with it’s sound. I am talking about an BRM V16 from 1951. That car is amazing, since it had only a 1,5 litre engine, what makes about 93 cc a cylinder. This car is owned by Nick Mason the drummer of the band Pink Floyed. He is a fan of historic cars and has the money to by those.
Stirling Moss said once about this car, that it would be the worst car he ever was confronted with. The car apparently was very difficult to drive. That car had 550 bhp what was quite amazing for only 1,5 litre.
Others even mentioned that it was difficult to overtake that car, since that sound got louder and louder the closer you get, and in one point it is just to loud.
I would love to see that car drive in action, but I don’t have any idea, where to look up when this car is visible for public.
Has anybody got more info about this beautiful car and even some dates, where to see it actually drive ?

Old 19 Apr 2000, 00:58 (Ref:8071)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick Mason tries to exercise his car at a couple of meetings a year. Particularly the Coys Historic at Silverstone, and the Goodwood Revival.

There is another car, usually driven by Rick Hall, which has attended Goodwood. I think this one may live in the Donington Collection, but I am not certain of this.

Fifty years on, these cars are still chronically unreliable. They are so delicate, and so stressed, that something invariably snaps after a couple of laps. But what a couple of laps.

The sound, when you are near it, is earsplitting, but in an extraordinary way. It has a peculiar harmonic of bass and treble, unlike any other engine note I know of. And it carries across country, too. The CD "Into the Red" on which Nick Mason has recorded his favourite cars, has the BRM doing a lap of Donington.

The microphone is situated in the pits, and you can hear the V16 clearly for THE ENTIRE LAP.

Apparently, when the car first came out of retirement, they took it to Silverstone for proving. Half way through the afternoon, a man showed up in the pits and asked if he might see the BRM. He had heard it was being tested, and came to the circuit in the hope of catching sight of it.

When the crew said that they didn't think that the testing had been publicised, the man explained that he had been in his garden, several miles away, and had recognised the sound...

Nick Mason's race car transporter, incidentally, bears the licence plate "V16 NUT."
Old 24 Apr 2001, 08:20 (Ref:84341)   #3
quintin cloud
Rookie

quintin cloud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a mp3 of the BRM at Goodwood of Nick Masons car without the Guy who comes into pits and mess's up the whole sound of the car if any body is interested I will put it on my page at www.formula1results.com just give a few days and will post again to say that it is there
Old 24 Apr 2001, 16:47 (Ref:84475)   #4
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Moss' & Pomeroy's 'Design & Behaviour...' a whole chapter is about P15 (I think tha's car's designation) in which very few favourable things are said (both of the car and the BRM project). Apparently the biggest problem was that car was unsuitable for cornering and was basically designed for pre-war driving techniques of coasting through corner and then jumping on the throttle (rather than drifting through). Most of the credit for that goes to centrifugal superchargers which produced enormous boost in rev area of 9,000 to 11,000rpm (e.g. 280BHP @ 8000rpm,350BHP @ 9000rpm, 400BHP @ 10000rpm, 425BHP @ 11000rpm). In light of that throttle steering was impossible... Moss was also appauled by reluctance of pepole in charge to make changes (he was not the only one that was giving them good advices), but also to correct the faults on the car (flattering wheels, toe-in at higher speeds &c). OK, tht's it from me for now...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 17:29 (Ref:84489)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
There is another car, usually driven by Rick Hall, which has attended Goodwood. I think this one may live in the Donington Collection, but I am not certain of this.
Is this the car that is regularly seen in The National Motor Museum?
Attached Images

Old 25 Apr 2001, 06:50 (Ref:84674)   #6
quintin cloud
Rookie

quintin cloud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

the MP3 of the brm p15 is now on my web page, to download the mp3 simply goto my page and then to the Formula 1 sounds photos, then at the bottom of the 2001 test photos at Kyalami there will be a link to the 2000 test photos and sounds , the zip file is there to be downloaded,file size is 1.78Mb.web address http://www.formula1results.com
Old 2 May 2001, 03:48 (Ref:87856)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame they never got it right in 1951, they might have gone for the 750cc option in 1954 then, with a nice V8 and shortened development time.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:03 (Ref:1911448)   #8
skid mark
Rookie

Qatar
Rutland
skid mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin cloud
Hi all

the MP3 of the brm p15 is now on my web page, to download the mp3 simply goto my page and then to the Formula 1 sounds photos, then at the bottom of the 2001 test photos at Kyalami there will be a link to the 2000 test photos and sounds , the zip file is there to be downloaded,file size is 1.78Mb.web address http://www.formula1results.com
Is this download still available?
Old 14 May 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1913285)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Try here.
http://www.billzilla.org/engread.htm