Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Dec 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3480708)   #1
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans-based charitable ideas

Hi guys

As some of you may remember, we had a little girl in September who was born very unwell, and not really given a great deal of hope for survival. However due to the huge efforts of both Colchester and Addenbrookes hospitals, she has not only survived, but actually thrived. We were signed off by Addenbrookes the week before last, with a pretty much perfect recovery. To say we are very lucky would be an understatement. Gratuitous photo below....

Obviously we could never thank both of those hospitals enough, nor the Sick Children's Trust, from whom we were given a room in their facility at Addenbrookes for the duration of Aoife's stay - a massive, massive help at a time like that. Soooo... how do you thank them? By helping raise funds.

I am looking for ideas to try and raise a serious amount of cash for these organisations, and am trying to think how best to integrate Le Mans in to that equation! A million and one people sign up to marathons etc. (not knocking them when I say that!), and a good friend of ours held a hugely successful ball last year for her chosen charities and we don't want to go down that route as a result.

So I'm opening the floor to you guys for ideas - I'm not asking for any more than that (although if something does start to take shape I may shout out for any contacts that might be able to help pull things together).

My starter for ten is to take the marathon idea a step further and do 24 hours of running around the circuit! To say that would be a challenge for me would be an understatement - my current running is about 5K every other day..... But hey, where there's a will and the chance of raising lots and lots of money, there's a way!

Over to you......
Old 1 Dec 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3480753)   #2
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I'll have to think for a bit about how to incorporate a fund raiser into Le Mans.

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! What a relief that she has been given a clean bill of health, I'm sure you are indescribably happy that things turned out so well!
Old 1 Dec 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3480759)   #3
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, it doesn't have to be incorporated in to race weekend or indeed Le Mans, my main thought was to try and do something a bit more unique, with a potential side-effect of a cheeky route to potentially tap in to good sources of PR etc. I want to see if I can pull something big off (and not my hamstring!)

Cheers for the message Scott
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3480814)   #4
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A 24hour run might be too much, but I plan myself to run the circuit this year before the race (not sure what day I'll do it yet).
Perhaps you could try to incorporate the massive amounts of spectators into the run, and then just run 1 lap?

It could be scheduled on the Friday, start on the start/finishline before the pit walk opens, and then run the full length of the Circuit de la Sarthe, and finish once again on the start/finishline - perhaps at the same time the Pit walk opens, to generate spectators and interest.

However, doing such an event takes massive amount of time and dedication - something I think is better spent with your daughter .

What I personally would go with, is contacting a privateer team, asking if they to sponsor a pit visit, where the participants pay entrance through donating to the Trust.
The amount collected and donated isn't that massive, but you would have generated quality awareness for the Trust, something the Team could expand in PR material, and perhaps would give a mention by RLM to over 200,000 people. But most importantly it doesn't require that much from you. Please remember that many good ideas, projects and events crumble under its creators limitation of time.

I'm very happy to hear your girl pulled through!
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3480825)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Look for something that people will want so they will come and spend their money.

As some on here know I help run a car rides event for

http://www.thechildrenstrust.org.uk/

I have been doing it for nearly 10 years. It started from nothing and last year cleared over £90,000 for the charity and over 10,000 people attended the event.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3480827)   #6
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Another friend suggested something like a supercar event, but I pointed them to that (so you must know Bachi then Mal?)

Go big or go home CTD Appreciate the comments. It's something I'd like to do and get my teeth in to (whatever it all turns in to), most likely a one-off, but something you can say 'I did that'. It's a fair point on opening up to a wider audience in one hit though - a million and one ideas...
Old 1 Dec 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3480846)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Another friend suggested something like a supercar event, but I pointed them to that (so you must know Bachi then Mal?)

Go big or go home CTD Appreciate the comments. It's something I'd like to do and get my teeth in to (whatever it all turns in to), most likely a one-off, but something you can say 'I did that'. It's a fair point on opening up to a wider audience in one hit though - a million and one ideas...
Yes I do know Bachi - he used to be on the organising committee with me, but has now withdrawn. He is still heavily involved and a massive support to the event.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3480908)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the first suggestion is working out how to get there. There's options - cycling, or buying a car unlikely to get there and being sponsored?

And are you camping? There's so much you can do on the Friday night at one of the campsites.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3481036)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
firstly, very glad minidave is back home safe and sound. addenbrokes are absolutely epic, and the sick children's trust sound like they're doing sterling work.

how about something relatively straightforward like taking the distance from chateau dave to le mans and cycling it in one hit on a fixed bike? would mrs dave be interested in doing a couples effort to strengthen the message? if not, could you do it in the campsite during the week before the race??
Old 2 Dec 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3481067)   #10
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Hmmmm, door to door from here to Le Sarthe if you assumed an average cycling speed of 20 mph (conservative I know) would be doable in 21 hours....

Logistically far easier to arrange as well I think.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3482492)   #11
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I tried a few years ago to get Radio Le Mans to help me auction off some signed prints by Maurice Rowe (ex-Motor photographer 1950s- 1970s) to raise money for the hospital that looked after me. Never manage to tie them down, so I wouldn't suggest going that way. However I still have the prints (lots of lovely old B+W Le Mans shots) and would be happy to contribute some to your cause if you can use them.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3483116)   #12
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Apologies, not been on here over the weekend, so not seen your message. That's a very kind offer which is hugely appreciated. If we go that route, that would be fantastic, but incredibly kind in the first place
Old 8 Dec 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3483228)   #13
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are any of the team streams or RLM active the days before the race? Maybe if you do the biking trip you can get some coverage. Or talk to a team/driver and get them to promote it somehow, costless goodwill can't be a bad thing for any of the teams right?
Old 9 Dec 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3483371)   #14
Flem
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Flem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear your little is doing well and it's great that you're giving something back to the Hospital

As for charitable events maybe you could enter a team in an endurance pedal car event or even 24 hour cycle event? I literally know absolutely nothing about pedal cars but I know a few people who have done endurance cycling events

I did a quick search and one that came up was an 8 or 12 hour event at Brand Hatch in September

http://www.cyclothonuk.com/

Whatever you do decide to do I hope it goes well :-)
Old 9 Dec 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3483374)   #15
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Thanks for the encouragement guys. A little plan is taking shape at the moment going down the cycling route. Only fly in the ointment is that work will be utterly manic until the 19th, so I am going to have to try and press on over Xmas.

It does means that to do something justice I may need to calm down and focus on it being a 2016 event. Will see how plans come together once I get time to look at it further. Just thinking about some marketing aspects as I type, I think is the more likely option as it will allow me to really push that side of things at Le Mans next year.

In terms of team/driver participation/endorsement, I have a couple of irons in the fire and hopefully a good few more particularly in the publishing field to help things along...

I like the sound of the cyclothon at Brands, partly on a par with where I'm hopefully headed on this....
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3503423)   #16
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Hi guys

There is a little plan hatched, however due to work and wanting to do a proper job; I am working on a plan to do the event in 2016. Info to be put out in due course, however I may well seek your help in terms of some guerilla marketing when we're all out in France

As a total aside, for a bit of your amusement, I have just got notification that I was successful in the ballot for the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October, which I will run for the same cause. The challenge being not having a coronary between now and then, and of course when taking part - running is not my forte, although I am doing about 5K every other day already. This could be interesting.....