Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2128139)   #1
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liam Doran to use RS200

I got this yesterday via email

Pat and Liam raise the bar!!

Pat and Liam Doran have announced their plans for the 2008 Rallycross Season and there is plenty of activity taking place at the Doran camp to keep the fans stimulated for their fix of Rallycross over the coming season.

Pat Doran has announced that he intends to run full BRC campaign taking part in the Kumho Tyres British Rallycross Championship. All seven rounds will be attended by the big guy where he will kick off the Duo Motorsport campaign at his - quite literally 'home' circuit of Lydden Hill, Doran said "So much has taken place over the winter break I don't know where to begin, most people are aware that I have taken ownership of Lydden and I intend to make lots of changes in effort to bring back European Rallycross where it belongs. We've started making amendments to the paddock area already and we aim to have hard standing throughout before the season opener over the easter weekend, we aim to get the old offices replaced with some proper static buildings. On top of that we will be pushing hard to get the spectator facilities improved too!"

On asking Pat about his plans for the 'established' Duo Racing team he replied " For a starter we have bought our RS200 back from George (Tracey) and I can confirm that Liam will be piloting her hopefully at every round of the MSA Championship" Doran said "The RS200 will be decalled with the new Hydrex/Duo Rallycross Team livery (yet to be revealed) and will look amazing, Liam has already driven 'Rosie' on several occasions and he fully intends to show the guys in the modern machinery the way home and show the spectators what Rallycross is all about"

Pat himself intends to run a full BRC campaign in his Fiesta ST Supercar "We've done a lot of work on the Fiesta over the winter break, she's literally been stripped right back to nothing and we've put her on a diet to fall in line with the new european regs" Pat went on to say "The european regs have changed to allow a minimum weight of 1300kgs including driver - this makes the game a whole lot more exciting and means we can now compete in Europe and be competitive" he said, "although we are running a full BRC campaign I intend to do a few rounds with the 'big boys' too, we've got a great team now, we learned a lot last year, the Fiesta is lighter, we've sorted a whole host of faults from a power perspective and we really think our capabilites of success have improved ten-fold!"

The exisitng RWD Fiesta of Liam Doran's which was used in the Supermodified category will be retained for show events and displays while it's developments will be continued.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2128227)   #2
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liam couldn't drive the RWD Fiesta properly, lord knows what he will be like in charge of an RS200!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2128233)   #3
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
big opportunity for him to drive that monster
Old 14 Feb 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2128493)   #4
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car OR Driver

Let's hope this gets better.
We will see now if it was the car (RWD Fiesta) or the driver (Liam) who where not up for the job.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2128528)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The RS200 is my favourite car so I'm just hoping it's still running on the Monday - it never was the most reliable of beasts! (I won't be there on the Sunday).

ebby - Judging by the way the RWD Fiesta looked I'd have said that anyone would have struggled to get that around a circuit sensibly, the general setup looked "a bit soft" and the power delivery looked horrible - tickover to "oooh " in a fraction of a second. It looked like a car that needed some serious testing and tweaking.

The step up to the RS200 will certainly be interesting though - does anyone know if Liam has done any testing in the car (or will be before Lydden)?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2128608)   #6
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant wait to see the rs coming out to play on a regular basis,another loverley car doing British Rallycross.

BB....
Old 14 Feb 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2128799)   #7
grasser26
Rookie

Wales
West Wales
grasser26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liam will be piloting her hopefully at every round of the MSA Championship" Doran said "The RS200 will be decalled with the new Hydrex/Duo Rallycross Team livery (yet to be revealed) and will look amazing, Liam has already driven 'Rosie' on several occasions and he fully intends to show the guys in the modern machinery the way home and show the spectators what Rallycross is all about"
Old 14 Feb 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2128807)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Good point well made
Old 15 Feb 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2129529)   #9
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes i suppose he has driven the car on serveral occasions however, ive driven a number of yolks dosnt mean i can go out there and hang with the best....

Not a very proven driver to be honest.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 15 Feb 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2129581)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I'm just glad the RS200 will be out to play

Can't wait to see it in the new paint scheme.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2129756)   #11
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
sjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'd bring a tear to many eyes if Liam did what he did with his Fiesta at this years Superprix, I don't think a RS200 would take nicely to having its nose in a tirewall.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2129758)   #12
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And before someone jumps on the bandwagon id just like to bring someone else to this, both myself and paul grogan started off racing at the same time (2003/4) and both have drivin a few different bits of machinery; Even paul will tell you now that it has taken him a bit to get used to the Impreza! And he is more or less in there now!

And to be honest with you, ive seen liam drive and i wouldnt let him near that RS200. Anyone want to show footage of the incident between himself and George Tohill last year ?

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2129763)   #13
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
sjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and also, let's face it, a RS200 is not cheap.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2129777)   #14
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's an attempt by Pat to make Liam a bit more careful behind the wheel. I wouldn't want to explain to the big man that I'd just written off his beloved RS200.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2129800)   #15
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In all fairness to Liam the RWD Fessie looked a real pig to handle for the first few meetings. Towards the end of the season it did look a bit more manageable, I think maybe it had been de-tuned a little. I would have thought it would have been better to stick with the Fiesta and carry on developing it.

Now I know I am probably in the minority here, but I really don't think that the RS 200 will be an asset to the British Championship.
I think it's fairly ironic the Stockhatch drivers are being encouraged to bring out more modern cars, and move away from the older models. Then everybody thinks it's wonderful that a car which had it's heyday 20 years ago is going to return to the Supercar class.

I do think that the RS 200 is a wonderful car, in fact all the Group B stuff was awesome. I remember fondly watching them tear through the forests back in the mid eighties, and also rallycross grids full of them at ERC events in the late 80's & early 90's, but this is 2008 it's the new stuff we should be getting excited about.

Last edited by Cryos; 15 Feb 2008 at 23:36.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2129826)   #16
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
but this is 2007 it's the new stuff we should be getting excited about.
Dave, you been asleep for the last few months ! We all think we are in 2008
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2129830)   #17
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daz2202
Dave, you been asleep for the last few months ! We all think we are in 2008

If I'd still been a mod I would have been able to change that
Old 15 Feb 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2129953)   #18
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
change what sb ?

Old 16 Feb 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2130370)   #19
bestrep
Rookie

bestrep has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Back on thread!,I AM GOING TO BUY LOTS AND LOTS OF SHARES IN GAFFA TAPE!!.and then i can maybe race a supercar too!!.......
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2130434)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
For the most part I'd agree that newer models are a good thing and what we want to see. However, the RS200 and 6R4 are just such iconic pieces of machinery that I still love to see them being used in anger. They may be old but they are still a huge draw - and people that have never seen one before tend to take one look at it and say "wow".
Old 17 Feb 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2130911)   #21
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now I know I am probably in the minority here, but I really don't think that the RS 200 will be an asset to the British Championship.
I think it's fairly ironic the Stockhatch drivers are being encouraged to bring out more modern cars, and move away from the older models. Then everybody thinks it's wonderful that a car which had it's heyday 20 years ago is going to return to the Supercar class.
Have to agree. I wonder what the ERC hierarchy think of Group B cars still running in the British championship? It doesn't really give the impression that we've moved on. This is 2008 not 1988.

The answer has to be to get a historic class off the ground - the revivals 2wd class has worked well and really got the crowds going.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2130989)   #22
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the group B cars am always dissapointed when I attend and there's not one present. And they are still competitive..................
Old 17 Feb 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2131060)   #23
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=leonidas]Have to agree. I wonder what the ERC hierarchy think of Group B cars still running in the British championship? It doesn't really give the impression that we've moved on. This is 2008 not 1988.

\do we want to be taken seriously in Europe do we want to encourage foreign competitors into the sport

Do we want manufacturers to look upon our sport as a possible marketing tool

Do we want to bring ourselves up to date
these are the questions we in Britain must ask?

Yes my car isnt now up to date however it is still valid in Europe and the reason i purchased a modern spec car and not a grp B machine

I see all arguments and just would like to see our sport up there with touring cars with manufacturers, works teams, and major TV ( like before)
Old 17 Feb 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2131097)   #24
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but this is 2008 it's the new stuff we should be getting excited about.
Will you be building a new car Dave based on a ford then for stockhatch

I cant see why people are so against seeing the older cars still race or is it because they can still give the newer more technically advanced cars a hammering?

All this talk of getting the europeans to take notice of English Rallycross makes me laugh because if they consider it the powers that be would drop the older cars like a shot, so just leave them to see out their days or until a European round is given to Britain but then again even if a European round is given we all know the Group B cars cannot take part.

Its a bit like the 306 that couldnt take part in the Superprix before due to its homologation with something to do with the flooring in it but hey presto it appears at the Superprix last year
Money deffo talks in Rallycross
Old 17 Feb 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2131145)   #25
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're all just jealous of Liam getting to drive an RS200.

I know I am, anyway!