Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Mar 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3810926)   #326
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
They aren't allowed to change the wing wither.

The GCK looks like a WRC car. Doubt that Chicherit and JGJ will be frontrunners though.

Live timing from todays test at Silverstone. Surprisingly, Eriksson is second and just +0.017 behind Solberg. http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/times
More surprisingly, Grosset-Janin is fastest in the megane. Expect afternoon times to get quicker as the dirt is swept away.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3810935)   #327
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
More surprisingly, Grosset-Janin is fastest in the megane. Expect afternoon times to get quicker as the dirt is swept away.
They are done for the day, will continue tomorrow. But yes, that was big surprise. The Megane probably is a very good car, I just doubted that JGJ and Chicherit would be able to make the full out of it.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3810942)   #328
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
They are done for the day, will continue tomorrow. But yes, that was big surprise. The Megane probably is a very good car, I just doubted that JGJ and Chicherit would be able to make the full out of it.
They are running again, session looks to end at 5 PM BST. Only one Supercar driver with laps on the board so far (Ekstrom).

Very surprised by the times this morning, very encouraging start for GCK. I have no doubt that Prodrive have built them a quick car, I am just uncertain if Grosset-Janin and Chichiret have sufficient experience to push the development of the car.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3811001)   #329
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the test day tomorrow open for the public to view by any chance?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3811013)   #330
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
Is the test day tomorrow open for the public to view by any chance?
The Loheac test days were open to the public (though I think you had to pay), so I would assume Silverstone is as well.

Probably worth a call to the circuit in the morning before you set off there!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3811029)   #331
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seen an announcment about some Chinese or Korean guy being clearly pushed into WRX by IMG in a vain effort to try and get the Chinese to pay for a coupe of years in China

This will obviously happen, but you do gt the feeling that much like women drivers, these guys are simply being pushed into seats so that IMG can try and get the Chinese to pay for a round there.

Pretty shallow marketing, as they are invariably rubbish!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3811043)   #332
Marcopolo
Rookie

Marcopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seen an announcment about some Chinese or Korean guy being clearly pushed into WRX by IMG in a vain effort to try and get the Chinese to pay for a coupe of years in China

This will obviously happen, but you do gt the feeling that much like women drivers, these guys are simply being pushed into seats so that IMG can try and get the Chinese to pay for a round there.

Pretty shallow marketing, as they are invariably rubbish!

Ma Qinghua tested with STARD, he races in WTCC for Sebastian Loeb racing so he can't be completely rubbish...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3811051)   #333
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I'm really not sure about that rear wing, looks a bit out of place! I assume they have positioned it like that to put it in clean air.

GCK have also (finally!) revealed the Prodrive built Megane RS RX this morning:

GCK Official Facebook - Megane Launch Video
Difficult to judge the car on these videos.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3811060)   #334
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one for anyone thinking of trying to go watch the test I e-mailed Silverstone last week to see if it was open and this was the reply

"We are not currently open to the public on those dates. Although we cannot comment on private hirers of the circuit , it is often the case that we are asked to be closed to the public as part of the booking. "

So what do IMG not want us to see? The fact that the previous test at Loheac was open but at 20Euro entry. Tho it dose show another way in which they sticking 2 fingers up to the British rallycross fans.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3811064)   #335
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just a quick one for anyone thinking of trying to go watch the test I e-mailed Silverstone last week to see if it was open and this was the reply

"We are not currently open to the public on those dates. Although we cannot comment on private hirers of the circuit , it is often the case that we are asked to be closed to the public as part of the booking. "

So what do IMG not want us to see? The fact that the previous test at Loheac was open but at 20Euro entry. Tho it dose show another way in which they sticking 2 fingers up to the British rallycross fans.

I found the fact that Loheac was open surprising, since the Friday practice at Cape Town RX was closed

Old 26 Mar 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3811076)   #336
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I know there is a lot of anti-IMG sentiment on the forum, but I am more inclined to point the finger at Silverstone in this case (probably because I have the same disdain for Silverstone that a lot of you have for IMG!).
Old 27 Mar 2018, 04:51 (Ref:3811143)   #337
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopolo View Post
Ma Qinghua tested with STARD, he races in WTCC for Sebastian Loeb racing so he can't be completely rubbish...

And there it is... His racing the second STARD at Barcelona

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...elona-1019299/

Old 27 Mar 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3811149)   #338
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It is more likely that the private hirer will be for the Grand Prix Circuit and not the RX circuit. Perhaps something a little more secretive on GP circuit on the same day and it is them that has requested no public.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3811207)   #339
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
but I am more inclined to point the finger at Silverstone in this case (probably because I have the same disdain for Silverstone that a lot of you have for IMG!).
I'm with you on that! Worst circuit I've been to.

I see that in the UK highlights of the WRX will be shown on Channel 4 - so that's some good news at least!
Old 27 Mar 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3811208)   #340
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

I see that in the UK highlights of the WRX will be shown on Channel 4 - so that's some good news at least!

Not sure if it's geoblocked in the UK or not but the semis and finals are shown on world RX YouTube channel live

Old 27 Mar 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3811212)   #341
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was geo-blocked last season on youtube for the UK unfortunately
Old 27 Mar 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3811215)   #342
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
You can bypass geo-block if you change your VPN. I use Hola whenever something is blocked.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3811223)   #343
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Where did you see that? I saw TV listings part of the WRX site suggesting that highlights would be on Quest at 7pm but this could be out of date.

I would actually say i was a bit awestruck by Silverstone. It's massive! So much bigger than any other major circuit I've been to. But it's super flat (due to it being an airfield) so I can understand that viewing would be rubbish without grandstands. I bet the Nuffield complex would have be a good place to watch F1 (if you have a spare few hundred quid).
Old 27 Mar 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3811241)   #344
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Prior to the opening round of the British Championship, the last time I was at Silverstone was for the Moto GP, which was one of the least enjoyable (and most expensive) days I have ever had at a circuit.

I tried to remain neutral when I went to Silverstone for the rallycross, but I always feel like I am entering a business park rather than a circuit when arriving. That said my spectating experience was much more enjoyable at the rallycross (even with the crap weather!) than it was at the Moto GP.

The more info that trickles out about the Megane the more impressive the car looks. The World Rallycross Facebook page has mentioned about a forthcoming reveal of the car. I really hope that they release some more technical information on the car (though I suspect that they may keep the really clever bits under wraps).
Old 27 Mar 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3811260)   #345
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Where did you see that? I saw TV listings part of the WRX site suggesting that highlights would be on Quest at 7pm but this could be out of date.
Neil Cole tweeted it:

https://twitter.com/neilcole/status/978245275264397312

Quote:
Prior to the opening round of the British Championship, the last time I was at Silverstone was for the Moto GP, which was one of the least enjoyable (and most expensive) days I have ever had at a circuit.
For me the low was a 3 day race meeting where we were using the old pits - the F1 teams had been testing in the week leading up to the weekend and then we were there from the Friday through to the Sunday. The toilets and showers were filthy when we arrived and only got worse. Add to that viewing at Silverstone is awful (grandstands were all shut too).

Quote:
The more info that trickles out about the Megane the more impressive the car looks. The World Rallycross Facebook page has mentioned about a forthcoming reveal of the car. I really hope that they release some more technical information on the car (though I suspect that they may keep the really clever bits under wraps).
It's had a pretty long development hasn't it? So I guess they've had a lot of time to get it well sorted. I dread to think how much that has cost! Have to say I've been impressed with the testing times they've put up (I wasn't expecting a great deal from the drivers).
Old 27 Mar 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3811269)   #346
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
It's had a pretty long development hasn't it? So I guess they've had a lot of time to get it well sorted. I dread to think how much that has cost! Have to say I've been impressed with the testing times they've put up (I wasn't expecting a great deal from the drivers).
Grosset-Janin has been pretty quick on occasions, but Chicherit has never really impressed (though I would say that he hasn't always had the most capable car). With that in mind I see the testing times as an indication as to how capable the car is.

I assume the track is drying at Silverstone as the times seem to be falling again. Bakkerud quickest with 20 minutes of the session to go.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3811292)   #347
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I very much doubt this woidlahve cost fortunes, this is Prodrive they probably hadve massive stock of parts from the old mini WRC and Subaru programmes that can be modified.

They woudl be shouting about it far more if it was serious like MSports Ford deal was.

This is all seeming to be done a little on the quiet, probably funded privately by the French.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3811317)   #348
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I very much doubt this woidlahve cost fortunes, this is Prodrive they probably hadve massive stock of parts from the old mini WRC and Subaru programmes that can be modified.

They woudl be shouting about it far more if it was serious like MSports Ford deal was.

This is all seeming to be done a little on the quiet, probably funded privately by the French.
Whilst I concede there may be an element of 'parts bin special' (and it's certainly not a manufacturer effort) there's no way it's been cheap. Just the sheer amount of man hours that have been thrown at it surely makes it hugely expensive? Prodrive have used it on their social media to much the same degree as the Golfs they run in the Chinese Rally Championship - again not a manufacturer effort and again - not cheap.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3811328)   #349
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I heard that a seat at GCK apparently came at a cost of about €1.2 million.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3811339)   #350
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Chunder are you serious?
It will have been hugely expensive to design and build a car when they have little track record in rallycross

Even if they have a large parts bin they have still had to buy the parts in from suppliers and if they are left over they haven't received any revenue for them so whoever uses them will have to pay for them.
The 1.2m price tag doesnt surprise me ....... similar to Msport figures for Block