Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2200848)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calder Park News

I was going to call this thread "Calder Park to Close" and have the first line of the thread say in July & August to see how many people I could upset but I've done enough stirring this month so will get serious for the rest of this thread.

The following is posted on the www.calderpark.com.au website for all to see;

IMPORTANT MESSAGE to fri night street drag & drift competitors
For the month of May & June Fri night Legal Off Street drags will be running fortnightly! (weather permitting)

There will be NO Legal Off Street Drag racing for the months of July & August due to major drag strip and track upgrades!

Visit our calendar for upcoming LOSD event dates!

For Drift Practice events - stay tuned for further notice!

This along with the recent complete resurfacing of AIR shows that Bob Jane is still investing in improvements in his two race tracks with Calder being a work in progress for well over a year now.
Old 13 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2200906)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it Bob or Rod who is holding the reins?
Old 13 May 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2200914)   #3
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't there big problems with the resurfacing at AIR?????
Old 14 May 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2202049)   #4
speedraced04
Rookie

speedraced04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this to do with the separating of the circuit and drag strip we keep hearing about?
Old 14 May 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2202091)   #5
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedraced04
is this to do with the separating of the circuit and drag strip we keep hearing about?
The closure of Calder is, they are re-routing the track up the current pitlane road, to allow racing when wet amongst other things.

Mick
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2353030)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some more info on Calder Park.

They are in the process of installing a concrete launch pad on the drag strip as per the link below.

http://www.calderpark.com.au/news5.shtml

Good to see money being spent on improving a race track in this country.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2353035)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Good to see money being spent on improving a race track in this country.
They are doing the same at Oran Park... they handed out showbags demonstrating the new "Oran Park Town" that shall inhabit most of the front straight, and surrounds....

Thats an improvement
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2353046)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morgan Park is being radically extended again. Bit more effort and expense than a concrete launch pad!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2353078)   #9
Fasteddymini
Rookie

Fasteddymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
visiting Melbourne over Christmas

The winters lack of racing is increasingly frustrating in the UK but am in Melbourne over Christmas period and I hear you can get a few laps in a renta car at Calder Park - and wondered if it was an experience worth trying ? Anyone got a view ?
Cheers
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2353121)   #10
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddymini
The winters lack of racing is increasingly frustrating in the UK but am in Melbourne over Christmas period and I hear you can get a few laps in a renta car at Calder Park - and wondered if it was an experience worth trying ? Anyone got a view ?
Cheers
www.fastrackracing.com.au

Cheers
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2353123)   #11
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, hire an xr6 turbo manual and you'll have a hoot wherever you go...
Old 12 Dec 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2353161)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
or

http://www.v8race.com/

Also do ride & drive packages at Calder Park.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2353214)   #13
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never been to Calder, but it appears three times in my calendar next year. AFAIK bike racing hasn't been at Calder since the Swann Series in the mid 80s.

So,

Is the track licenced for bikes currently? If not how much will it need to be upgraded?

Are there pit garages? I looked on the satelite photo and there didn't look like there was.

The moving the circuit straight away from the drag launch pad would be good as the goo they use would be very slippery, I know people who raced at AIR and said it was pretty scary in the last corner with the sticky stuff and the wall on the outside.

Jeff
Old 15 Dec 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2354948)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8
Is the track licenced for bikes currently? If not how much will it need to be upgraded?
Ask MA, I believe steps are being taken to sort all that out.

Quote:
Are there pit garages? I looked on the satellite photo and there didn't look like there was.
Yes, but not onto Pit Lane as such.

Mental note to make sure they have plenty of fuse wire for when the tyre warmers get plugged into the older garages which have old fashioned fuses rather than circuit breakers.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2354951)   #15
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The final round of the 2009 Australian Superbike Championship has been allocated to Calder for 15 November.Neither Winton or Phillip Island have a round (although races counting for the series will be held in a few categories at World Supers and Moto GP).Work is going to have to be completed before then as the circuit is not suitable in its current form.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2355536)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Preston MCC is also holding a round of their series at Calder before the ASC arrives.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:21 (Ref:2355711)   #17
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to the Thunderdome? do they still use it?
Old 16 Dec 2008, 05:59 (Ref:2355734)   #18
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Preston MCC is also holding a round of their series at Calder before the ASC arrives.
There is an interclub, then a Victorian Championship round before the ASC. I hope to do the first two for practice for the ASC.

Jeff
Old 16 Dec 2008, 07:08 (Ref:2355749)   #19
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
What ever happened to the Thunderdome? do they still use it?
Fast Trak still do the occasional ride/drive days there.

Bob Jane is concentrating on the Drag Strip 1st, national circuit 2nd and then will look at the Thunderdome from what he's told a few of us.

Quote:
There is an interclub, then a Victorian Championship round before the ASC. I hope to do the first two for practice for the ASC.
Might have to find a job there on those weekends if I haven't got anything else on.

The circuit layout is still the same (but may change) as it was back in the late 90's. The modifications will shift the corner onto the straight to using the pit entry road (original Gloweave corner) and run parallel to the drag strip (closer to the paddock area) until it passes the end of the strip and will then flow back onto the existing front straight.

The Whereis & Google Earth aerial pics several years old and such are way out of date so don't pay too much attention to them.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2358492)   #20
acotrel65
Rookie

acotrel65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Jeff
Is the 'Interclub' still a viable series? I requested MV that the Winton Motor Cycle Club be invited to participate, as one round is usually held on our circuit. Three years ago the Interclub was a two day meeting, last year it was a one day meeting. This year looks like FINIS!!! It doesn't seem to be supported by anyone!
Best Regards,
Alan Cotterell
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2358736)   #21
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks as though Calder have pinched the ASBK from Winton - Calder rules.
Interclub is for the small clubs that can't afford the hugh hire rates at tracks like yours Alan so they combine to get an event going.
Looks as thou these guys have voted and joined up with the super clubs like Hartwell; 600 members + and race all over the East Coast.
Preston run the Victorian Modern Titles by default so they will have a good roll up at Calder - if it gets a track licence in time.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2380417)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Got out to calder on sunday.

it was good to be back there
Old 27 Jan 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2380476)   #23
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went out to calder on Sunday as well and it was quiet disappointing, the amount of time between runs was just stupid and the night was filled with grudge runs.

The drag strip has been barely improved except for the start line and the walls being pulled in.

Calder now has no functioning circuit track due to the changes to the drag strip and the drag strip was bellow par.

It was good to see such a big crowd and the place back to life.

As the saying goes it can only get better from here
Old 29 Jan 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2381778)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by profi
the amount of time between runs was just stupid and the night was filled with grudge runs.
You have to allow for the turn around time for the big boys and the best way to fill in time is to let anyone who wants track time to use it.

Same happened back in the days when the Nationals were held at Calder.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2381792)   #25
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i mean the grudge runs were done so slowly. There was lots of time standing around whilst 2 cars are ready to run and doing nothing.