Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which car do they choose for the WEC race???
BMW M6 16 34.78%
BMW Z5 15 32.61%
New Coupe based on 7 series platform 7 15.22%
i8 (without hybrid) 3 6.52%
Others (Please stated the car) 5 10.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Jul 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3752951)   #201
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like there is sizable diffuser at the rear
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3753000)   #202
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Many thanks.

I think it looks too much like something out of DTM from that angle, even the M6 looks more 'GT' then that. What I would give for another Z4....Looks aside its fantastic to have BMW back in GTE again, cant wait til next year to see how they go against the establishment.
DTM cars are a mess. This looks much better.

BMW also tweeted a pic of the other side of the car which shows the exhaust exiting on the right hand side of the car only, ahead of the rear wheel, NASCAR-style. This is distinctly different from the M6 set up, which has two side pipes ahead of the doors. I wonder if they will keep this set up. It will make it sound different from two side pipes.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3753026)   #203
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/bmw-m8-gte-revealed/
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3753045)   #204
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does it really matter much what they do to it? GTE is a pure BoP class anyway so as long as it's slightly faster than a GT3 car what does it matter?

I'm still extremely disappointed the promised speed increase and more extreme aero of the 2016 regulations never materialized.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3753053)   #205
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
Does it really matter much what they do to it? GTE is a pure BoP class anyway so as long as it's slightly faster than a GT3 car what does it matter?

I'm still extremely disappointed the promised speed increase and more extreme aero of the 2016 regulations never materialized.
GT3 is a pure BoP formula. GTE at least starts with a technical specification, and a long one at that. The cheating comes later. Be fair.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3753057)   #206
Scorchess
Racer

That technical specification is a relic of times gone by I'm afraid. The only classes not brought down by the scourge of BoP are LMP1, LMP2, F1 and GT500. Maybe DTM too?
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3753084)   #207
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks good so far, hope all this preparation pays off for them
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3753103)   #208
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
I'm still disappointed too. I remember Jens Marquardt talking about 600 hp in a report from a few years ago.
AkioAsakura95 say, according to BOB Suzuki blog the engine could be a V12 turbo. will be real?
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3753104)   #209
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I'm still disappointed too. I remember Jens Marquardt talking about 600 hp in a report from a few years ago.
AkioAsakura95 say, according to BOB Suzuki blog the engine could be a V12 turbo. will be real?
Can't be right, 4-liter limit on turbo engines. Under 4 liters in a GT car a V12 makes no sense.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3753106)   #210
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
@hondafan37

Me too, By the way how do you get this information for BOB Suzuki blog????

By the way , you can check the FIA LM-GTE technical regulation by visiting the website and
download the file name: FIA WEC-2017 Technical Regulation for Grand Touring Cars LMGTE Homologated From 2016

in page 10 for the engine displacement regulation.

For my opinion via the technical regulation , they can't used V12 twin turbo because that engine is exceeding the cylinder capacity and they are not able to use BMW 4.4 V8 twin turbo due to the technical regulation so that BMW M6 GTLM cannot be raced in Le Mans for this year.

http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/118

Last edited by AkioAsakura95; 20 Jul 2017 at 14:09.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3753107)   #211
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Can't be right, 4-liter limit on turbo engines. Under 4 liters in a GT car a V12 makes no sense.
If the ACO wants the limits can be broken, the Viper used a V10 8 liters (the limit was 5.5) . Maybe the new Aston Martin will use the V12 5.2 turbo too.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3753118)   #212
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If the ACO wants the limits can be broken, the Viper used a V10 8 liters (the limit was 5.5) . Maybe the new Aston Martin will use the V12 5.2 turbo too.
Pretty sure the new aston will use the Mercedes 4.0L V8 turbo.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3753209)   #213
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Hi-res photos:

https://i.imgur.com/95s4vGM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3W8hg0I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ytQQhc9.jpg
Old 21 Jul 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3753219)   #214
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does anybody else see humor in testing in camo but releasing the pics?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3753305)   #215
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I wonder if the camouflage (and especially those less useful "dazzle ship" liveries) is really even intended to hide anything for race cars, it has just become a cool thing to do in recent years and has just replaced the carbon black. For test-mule road car spy shots it is different because the intention is to hide the design from the press, not hiding aero pieces from competitors.

Last edited by deggis; 21 Jul 2017 at 12:33.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3753343)   #216
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I wonder if the camouflage (and especially those less useful "dazzle ship" liveries) is really even intended to hide anything for race cars, it has just become a cool thing to do in recent years and has just replaced the carbon black. For test-mule road car spy shots it is different because the intention is to hide the design from the press, not hiding aero pieces from competitors.
Good point, and I'm not complaining about it, I quite like the camo liveries. Just think how much nicer this would have been as the art car instead of "FAST"
Old 21 Jul 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3753374)   #217
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think that's the final body shape either, so not much use to camo it, but it does look 'stealthy' imo!
Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3753375)   #218
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Driver lineups?

I think BMW would like to have Sims in both IMSA and WEC. Sims has been the quickest driver on the track the last two races. Ignore the BOP between cars, he's been quicker than his teammates at tracks he has never raced before.

I also threw out the Toni Vilander switch from Ferrari.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3753649)   #219
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have a lot of drivers to choose from the current DTM, IMSA and Blancpain lineups. Farfus, Spengler, Tomczyk, Sims, Eng, Palttala, Da Costa, Krohn, Catsburg, Basseng and they can still get drivers from other teams like Vilander or Balzan.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3753766)   #220
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
They have a lot of drivers to choose from the current DTM, IMSA and Blancpain lineups. Farfus, Spengler, Tomczyk, Sims, Eng, Palttala, Da Costa, Krohn, Catsburg, Basseng and they can still get drivers from other teams like Vilander or Balzan.
@Starfish Primer

Thanks you for your information!!!!

Speaking about the driver prediction for the BMW Team MTEK which participate GTE-Pro in WEC . I think Krohn might not be able to participate because he is the Silver driver categorization. And I usually prefer All Platinum driver categorization to drive BMW M8 GTE in WEC race.

There are:

MTEK M8 GTE:
#1:Farfus , Blomqvist , Vilander
#2: Spengler , Da Costa , Westbrook(possible,because he also drive ROWE BMW in Nur 24 hours)

I didn't choose Tomczyk and Sims because they are driving in IMSA race by using M8 GTE as well as this list is included in 24 Hours of Daytona race(possible) as well.

For Eng, Palttala they wil focus on Blancpain GT Racing with ROWE RACING by using BMW M6 GT3. While Catsburg schedule is always busy.

Then you can check the driver categorization list by clicking the website as shown as below.

http://www.fia.com/fia-driver-categorisation
Old 23 Jul 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3753794)   #221
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sims said in a very recent interview that his dream is to race Le Mans with BMW. I think he's going to get a seat for WEC. Or third driver at LM
Old 23 Jul 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3753795)   #222
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Video BMW M8 GTE in test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kln6vwMoHO8
Old 23 Jul 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3753824)   #223
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is a typical: How to show something without showing anything...
Old 23 Jul 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3753836)   #224
Scorchess
Racer

Turbo engine confirmed then, at least. Or was that already known?
Old 23 Jul 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3753841)   #225
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Sims said in a very recent interview that his dream is to race Le Mans with BMW. I think he's going to get a seat for WEC. Or third driver at LM
Sims is one of their best drivers, he'd be a shoe in for the WEC program, in fact I'd be surprised if he didn't get a seat