Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Jan 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3705727)   #251
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting news that Solberg will now be driving a car with a transverse engine setup. Glad to see Petter mentioning the car will still be soft, hopefully that means we will get to see plenty of sideways Polo!
Old 28 Jan 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3706165)   #252
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Polo with WRC arches look good anyway. But a bit of marketing talk he preferred transverse layouts as he could have build the DS3 transverse too if that's true?
Old 29 Jan 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3706798)   #253
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
A Polo with WRC arches look good anyway. But a bit of marketing talk he preferred transverse layouts as he could have build the DS3 transverse too if that's true?
True. Made me wonder about it too.

He did use UNIC transmissions though and they don't make transmissions for transverse engines. Their stuff is quite reliable, cheap compared to other transmissions I guess and their headquarters is in Säffle, not far from Torsby. The guy in charge used to work in a WRC team I believe.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3706825)   #254
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
True. Made me wonder about it too.

He did use UNIC transmissions though and they don't make transmissions for transverse engines. Their stuff is quite reliable, cheap compared to other transmissions I guess and their headquarters is in Säffle, not far from Torsby. The guy in charge used to work in a WRC team I believe.
The interview with Pernilla Solberg in the Racecar Engineering special (in 2014) covered the subject of transverse layouts, and she mentioned then that it restricted them in terms of transmission options: and that going inline enabled them to use UNIC.

PSRX used a lot of "local" suppliers. I wonder if that will be the case with the Polo?

Aside from the issue of finding a transmission that is up to the job (which doesn't seem to be a problem based on the number of teams who are transverse now), going transverse seems to be better all around.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3707220)   #255
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Solberg said the car would be a mix of old and new, I think he could mean that the WRC cars need to be modified for RX use and that he might incorporate some of the designs he has had developed while evolving the DS3 through the years. Some things are obvious such as rear mounted cooling systems, but I think also there are unique solutions in other areas such as the suspension system.

The rear suspention was completely redone and moved from multilink to McPherson for 2017, to save on weight and possibly address the broken rear shocks he suffered on several occasions.

Also, I believe either PSRX or their transmission supplier Unic mentioned that a longi engine had significant benefits such as more room for a good manifold design, better cooling on the hot side and lower frictional losses.
I still think a VW Motorsport transverse build will completely match any other transverse build though.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3707544)   #256
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It does not like a proper VW factory car though, if it was Solberg would not be able to do all this, it would be their way or nothing.

That is how factory teams work I am afraid, and there are none really in WRX other than Ford. No way would a team choose the Focus in WRX, it was MSports decision and Ford's, a private team would not have done that.

This still looks like a dealer team with VW financial and spares support, not a factory team.

Though IMG will of course tell you otherwise.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3707573)   #257
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I have said it in the past too, there isn't real manufactures except for Ford and Hoonigan.

I am a bit unsure of VW. They did develop the car and their people will be at events. More than €8 million going into this project is probably more than any other team will invest this season.

A guy who has worked with Solberg thought he wouldn't get to house the cars and that they would be kept at VW between events. According to him Solberg would probably start working on the cars himself, which VW would not allow since they have the knowhow.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3707716)   #258
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
That is how factory teams work I am afraid, and there are none really in WRX other than Ford. No way would a team choose the Focus in WRX, it was MSports decision and Ford's, a private team would not have done that.
Do you think it was M-Sport who chose the Focus over the Fiesta? I thought it was a marketing decision by Ford, surely M-Sport would have preferred to stick with the Fiesta as they have more experience with it.

Quote:
A guy who has worked with Solberg thought he wouldn't get to house the cars and that they would be kept at VW between events. According to him Solberg would probably start working on the cars himself, which VW would not allow since they have the knowhow.
That's surely going to be frustrating for Solberg? No tweaking of the car(s) between events and, I assume, only testing on allocated days?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3707721)   #259
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I said, that is why Msport had to use the Focus, they are getting some of the money from Ford, the rest from Block and his empire, so yes it would be Ford's decision, not Msports, but they will also be using it as a testbed for WRC, the new WRC car looks a little like the Focus.

As for Solberg, that is what it's like driving for a factory, he has been a privateer in rallycross and WRC for a long time, so has got out of the habit!
Old 30 Jan 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3707822)   #260
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Just noticed that there are a few shots from the first Solberg test on the Planet Marcus page:

http://planetemarcus.com/solberg-en-...-worldrx-2017/

Looking at the image, the car looks identical to the 2016 Polo WRC at this point. No rear radiator setup in place yet either?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3707863)   #261
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
pettersolberg29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current car being tested is visually just a mule - they're only testing what's under the bonnet right now and the a new bodykit will come in due time...
Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3707873)   #262
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettersolberg29 View Post
The current car being tested is visually just a mule - they're only testing what's under the bonnet right now and the a new bodykit will come in due time...

I hope not as the Polo WRC is a pretty car / body kit!
Old 1 Feb 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3708487)   #263
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Austria RX team claiming that Timur won't be with them next year. Fingers crossed he gets a good drive, he was very good last year I thought. Wonder who will take his place?
Old 3 Feb 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3709005)   #264
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Tbtstt, you can add another three cars cars to the list of ERX. Hedström Motorsport announced on facebook today that they will field three cars in ERX with the Polos for Hedström himself and Alexander Hvaal, and the Fiesta for Joachim Hvaal.

However, Alexander will do the first three rounds and consider to continue if things goes well.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3709006)   #265
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Tbtstt, you can add another three cars cars to the list of ERX. Hedström Motorsport announced on facebook today that they will field three cars in ERX with the Polos for Hedström himself and Alexander Hvaal, and the Fiesta for Joachim Hvaal.

However, Alexander will do the first three rounds and consider to continue if things goes well.
Ah, so they have!

PSRX/VW Sweden - Volkswagen Polo - Petter Solberg (World RX)
PSRX/VW Sweden - Volkswagen Polo - Johan Kristoffersson (World RX)
EKS - Audi S1 - Mattias Ekstrom (World RX)
EKS - Audi S1 - ? (World RX)

RX Racing - Ford Fiesta - Ollie O'Donovan (Euro RX & Select World RX)
Albatec Racing - Peugeot 208 - Jere Kalliokoski (Euro RX)
Albatec Racing - Peugeot 208 - Tommy Rustad (Euro RX)
Marklund Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Magda Andersson (Euro RX)
Marklund Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Anton Marklund (Euro RX)
JC Raceteknik - Ford Fiesta - Thomas Bryntesson (Euro RX)
JC Raceteknik - Ford Fiesta - Ola Froshaug (Euro RX)
Hedström Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Peter Hedström (Euro RX)
Hedström Motorsport - Volkswagen Polo - Alexander Hvaal (Euro RX)
Hedström Motorsport - Ford Fiesta - Joachim Hvaal (Euro RX)

DA Racing - Peugeot 208 - ? (World RX?)
DA Racing - Peugeot 208 - ? (World RX?)
Old 3 Feb 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3709034)   #266
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
So currently World RX is looking very thin on the ground
Old 3 Feb 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3709051)   #267
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So currently World RX is looking very thin on the ground
There are teams though that haven't officially announced their plans but can pretty much be expected based on social media posts.

Hoonigan and WRX Austria are testing already and Peugeot-Hansen should be a given team in WRX. DA racing wrote on Twitter JB Dubourg would do the entire WRX season after he won Andros.

I doubt though that there will be more than last years 17 cars.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3709082)   #268
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
17 cars

Wow, lets book the tickets for Lydden right now

What a waste of space
Old 3 Feb 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3709093)   #269
paul1982
Racer

paul1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
17 cars

What a waste of space
There will be around 25 supercars at Lydden no doubt about that. The World RX guys and Keersmaecker, donnavan, Maybe Rooke and Liam, godfrey, Procter and some surprises.
Than around 15-20 TC and 10-15 RX2.
Not the best of the year but also not bad.

I'm not 100% pro IMG and i fear the future aswell but you can also be negative on everything.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3709102)   #270
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1982 View Post
TThe World RX guys and Keersmaecker, donnavan, Maybe Rooke and Liam, godfrey, Procter and some surprises.
Depends who's got the right ECU - that's what stopped a lot of the 'locals' last year.

Quote:
Than around 15-20 TC and 10-15 RX2.
Still a bit thin on the ground and neither is as good as S1600.

Quote:
I'm not 100% pro IMG and i fear the future aswell but you can also be negative on everything.
I'm inclined to agree with chunder on this one.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3709104)   #271
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
17 cars

What a waste of space

Yeah, such a shame for all those cars sitting in a shed...
Old 3 Feb 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3709129)   #272
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
World Austria RX team claiming that Timur won't be with them next year. Fingers crossed he gets a good drive, he was very good last year I thought. Wonder who will take his place?
Timur ERX?
Old 3 Feb 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3709171)   #273
GirtsRX
Rookie

Latvia
Latvia
GirtsRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I'm new member of RX Forum.

Baumanis and Timerzyanov will driver for Manfred Stohl Team. Greetings from Latvia Guys!
Old 4 Feb 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3709317)   #274
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirtsRX View Post
Hello, I'm new member of RX Forum.

Baumanis and Timerzyanov will driver for Manfred Stohl Team. Greetings from Latvia Guys!
Welcome to the forum!

Is Stohls team the same as the Team Austria World RX (or whatever the official name is)? Or is Stohl breaking away to form a new team? Because the Austria team posted on facebook as a reply to a comment that Timur would not be driving for them next year...
Old 4 Feb 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3709350)   #275
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn´t surprise me if Pucher and Stohl split up and form their own teams. As far as I know, Pucher wasn´t happy with Stohl´s technical support during the last two years. He even uses different facilities now. For World RX it would be a good thing as there would be at least two more cars. Maybe Nitiss and Heikkinen at World RX Team Austria? Budget wise it shouldn´t be a problem... But much speculation .