Art and photography 60 42.86%
Genuine race memorabilia 49 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1653537)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Getting to know you!

Okay, so I am quite new to this section. It'd be nice to hear a little about who frequents this particular area of 10 Tenths so that I know who's reading and what your interests are.

My name is Craig (obviously), 32, and have been around motorsport since I was about five when I remember going to Wimbledon with my dad and grandad. Used to watch the GP on the telly as far back as 1986 and then started watching BTCC soon after that. My dad started kart racing just before I left school and that got me into the sport in a bigger way and I persuaded him to take me to Brands to see the BTCC (don't remember the year but I remember the two Toyotas taking themselves off the track in front of me!)

Started watching oval racing at Ringwood as soon as I could drive and then kinda lost a lot of interest after Mansell retired and then Senna was killed. Got back into it in 1998 after watching the Mansell Donington race on TV and have been around the sport ever since; primarily BTCC but with a keen interest in Champcar (especially Alex Z and Juan M!) which was, in my opinion, the best series in the world for a few years until they messed it up.

For five years I would be trackside literally every weekend of the season but, in recent years, having now gotten old and bought the obligatory house and car, I find myself bored with the whole Snetterton/Thruxton/Silverstone thing and prefer to do several bigger meetings a year such as Le Mans and a Nascar race or two.

You'll not be surprised to hear then that my interests in 'memorabilia' generally follow my previous involvement in 'real life' motorsport (if there is such a thing)

Despite saying I would never get into collecting model cars I find myself with an expanding collection in the past couple of years. I have three different collections:

1:43 BTCC cars from Super Touring era: I have approx 90 diecasts and kits from this era and am looking for the last 10 to complete my collection (no more were made)

1:18 Le Mans winners: Have 12 models so far (see other topic) and am looking for ways to be afford extras to add to this collection - they are not cheap!

1:18 Ayrton Senna Collection: Have all the models released to date in this scale. This was what first got me into collecting diecasts. Lovely little collection!

Until I developed my interest in diecasts I built up a large collection of videos and DVDs. I have sold a lot of these now but have all the BTCC season reviews from 1987 to 2003 (cba with latter seasons) and all the Mansell videos ever made (for some reason!!)

I also have a huge collection of books - mainly a run of Le Mans yearbooks and as many BTCC books and programmes as I could get my hands on for a website I was going to start several years ago but which never happened after I lost interest in the series.

So... if you've bothered reading all the way to hear you obviously have a screw loose too! Where do your interests lie and why? Tell us and we will use that info to try and develop the forum so that it will be of increased interest to you.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1653543)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Oh god! I also just remembered I have every edition of Autosport from the year I was born to date. I bought most of these on eBay from a guy in Stoke who delivered to me whilst I was working in Manchester one day... the guys who I was working with that day thought I was insane that I'd want to pay good money for 25 years of old magazines!

If that wasn't bad enough I then bought some industrial shelving on eBay and racked it all out, then added a light! It's all very cool but it really does condem me to the saddo brigade... ah well!! hehe
Old 11 Jul 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1653717)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will add my tale of woe then!

My name is David, aged 21 (almost). I've been a member here for a few years now, you probably seen me around.

Got into motorsport as a wee kid, at about age four or five (1989) thanks to dad, who practically forced me to be a Nigel Mansell supporter. Not that I'm complaining! I can remember a fair bit from the early years and I seldom missed the live races. But up until about 1993 I was restricted to F1. Being a kid, you don't know much else. Although touring cars was sometimes on as well.

Then Nige went to Champcars and I got into that and over the years I have got into more and more different categories and am always willing to learn about new forms of motorsport. I follow the career of JPM ardently nowadays too.

I don't get trackside much at the minute, bar the odd local hillclimb and the British GP and tests as I live in a crap location, have no car and not much money. That will change when I take my year out whenever that may be and I'll keep the ball rolling thereafter!

Anyways, as far as my armchair interests go. I collect Minichamps F1 cars in 1/43 scale mainly, with a few 1/18. I have about 120 models all in, but I have stopped buying them altely due to money issues. I only collect Montoya 1/18 models now and any 1/43 special editions of his. That will obviously be stopping soon too!

I buy books and DVD's mainly now. I have several books on all categories of motorsport ranging from annuals, to biographies, to technical books etc.... As far as DVD's are concerned, let's just say I have a lot of stuff that i have recorded and bought over the years! Too much!

I also buy the odd bit of artwork to frame and hang up and the occasional cap to wear to a race meeting.

And finally, I am an Autosport subscriber.

So yeah, I am a bit of an obsessive!

What are you guys' and gals' areas of interest?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1653746)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm lukey. I've been a member here very nearly two years. I was born in 1989 so at the moment I'm 16...
I remember my Dad who was a big Mansell fan every Grand Prix around 1992 telling me to watch lol. He went to a few British Grand Prix. Brands 1985 I think.
My favourite driver has been Schumacher since around 1994 when I vaguely remember F1. I started watching more when he moved to Ferrari; of course I was still only six still when he did. But I got hooked as he could never win for Ferrari. And since 1997 or 1998 I have been a huge fan of him.
My dream is to go to the British Grand Prix one day. I've been to the Goodwood festival of speed in 1999 and 2001. I then got hooked on WRC around the same time as again my Dad was a fan at the time.
F1 was all I watched until about 2001 when I started to watch CART, IRL, BTCC, and F3000. Since then I've watched all motor sport.
However since 2004 I have never loved F1 as much as I used to.
And last year I went to my first ever BTCC race at Thruxton. I was hoping to go the DTM this year here as well but I couldn't. Same with Grand Prix masters here in August, can't afford to go.
Also I've been karting since 2002...
Ermm from I was young till around 2002, F1 was my favourite motorsport. Then I started watching CART as F1 got very boring that year. So CART was my favourite series for a while but then it's been declining ever since.
So then 2003 the WRC was my favourite series. As well I couldn't watch that much as I was racing and it was very exciting that year and I'm a big Solberg fan. Then form 2004 to 2005 the DTM has been my favourite series probably because I'm a big fan of Garry Paffett. Now, I donno, I just watch what ever is on as I don't really have a favourite anymore. Although I have been a big fan of MotoGP since 2003 and prefered it to F1 certainly in 2004.
I would love to go to more motorsport events but all my money goes towards karting at the moment so I can't even collect cars anymore.

Memorabilia side:
Since around 1999 when my Dad bought me my first model car from TFS1, in their little town shop in Chichester lol which no longer exists. I have collected mainly 1:18 F1 cars, from the 1970's to the current day. My 1:18 collection is around 30 cars. I also have a few 1:43 cars, a few CART cars that were Indy Car at the time and also sports cars.
I also have a hug book collection of motor sport books. Again around thirty. From all the Champ Car / CART yearbooks by Autocourse, to other F1 yearly books, driver auto biographies etc.
I also have all the F1 reviews on VHS from 1987-2000. And a few other new ones on DVD.
I also have many F1 hats in my collection, mainly Michael Schumacher ones.
I also have many signed stuff that means a great deal to me. For example signed by Michael Andretti, his 1994 Ganassi CART car. Also signed by him the 1996 U.S. 500 event book. And other signed stuff from DC, Colin McRae, Richard Burns R.I.P, Eddie Irvine, Mika Salo, Jenson Button, Justin Wilson, Darren Manning, to name a few and the pleasure of meeting them also Nigel Mansell at a kart track when his son's were testing.
And comming back to what Craig was saying, I have most Autosports from 2002 to around now but I haven't got them in ages. Still it's a huge pile lol.

Last edited by luke; 11 Jul 2006 at 18:27.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1653765)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, well I'm approaching 57 and semi retired with a Wife and two sons, one of whom I inflicted my car/motorsport disease on to such an extent that he now works for Autosport.

I've been heavily into cars and motor racing since I was about 3 when my love of Aston Martins, which has never faltered, started. I've never owned one however! You can guess why! My first attendance at a proper motor race was not until 1966. Unlike Craig, (these youngsters get bored so easily) I still do like the Silverstone/Thruxton/Snetterton (and a few circuits besides) thing, although as many will know this is based around my love of (but not exclusively so) historic racing.

Back in the mid 70's and again briefly in the late 80's I sprinted in Reliant Sabre 6GT, Scimitar Coupe and Ginetta G15 with more enthusiasm than success!

I own a small collection of classic cars (none particularly valuable, I hasten to add!), am a member of a number of owners clubs and subscribe to Motor Sport, Octane, Classic and Sports Car and The Automobile monthly mags, as well as being a regular reader of other motor mags, including, obviously, Autosport. I too, have a fairly substantial library of motor racing books and collect motor racing programmes. I have large collection of 1/43 scale models with an inevitably Aston and BMW theme although I also collect certain liveries like Martini, Jagermeister and Hasseroder. Stirling Moss remains my motor racing hero, although to a certain extent all racers are heroes to me, at any level!

I spend far too long on 10-Tenths when I should be doing other things.
I also love Steam engines and old aircraft, so I'm not quite one tracked!

I still have aspirations to own an Aston, write a couple of motor racing books and do bit of historic racing. It remains to be seen whether I achieve any or all of these ambitions!

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jul 2006 at 09:16. Reason: Repeating myself!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1653915)   #6
Racer Scott
Racer

Racer Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm Scott, and I've been into Motorsport since around 1991 - I was inshepired when I got an Amiga computer with the Microprose Grand Prix game. All seemed very high-tech at the time.

I've not missed a live Grand Prix since then, and also follow IndyCar, A1GP avidly and to a lesser extent touring cars and sportscars. I'm also now trying to develop more of a NASCAR interest with the Montoya news.

In terms of memorabilia, I've collected Minichamps models and had about 200 of them, which I recently sold as I lacked the space to display them possibly.

Have taken Autosport every week since August 1994, but I'm swithering over it now - I tend not to spend too long reading it now and the web keeps me updated.

Delighted to have discovered ten-tenths.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1653964)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am Eddy and i am an alcoholic....er wrong thread...

I am Eddy. Most of must have seen me lurking around (ive made a few posts too )..Ive been a member since 03 after Ralf's win in France...came here to gloat ...sadly that turned out to be his last win....

Got into cars and f1 in 91 while watching Senna power around Monaco. Never really understood what was going on in the races till 94 and 95. Since then i seldom miss f1 races. I have famously sat through the Hungaroring 02 and 04 debacles much to the amusement of my 'casual fan' friends.

I follow A1GP, GP2, IRL and Champcar though not race in race out. I do keep in touch with the standings and goings and manage to watch a few races as well...

I havent been to a GP yet but hope to one day.

I am pretty flat on the memrobilia side. Not really a big fan of model cars and such.

I mainly collect f1 races. I have started recording races since last year.
I also have a lot of books. Mainly biographies as i am interested in motorsport and driver history.

I am not an autosport subscriber.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1654536)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm Bert my earliest motorsport memory is playing with my corgi JPS lotus (that went on a trailer behind a Lotus Elite!) on the living room floor whilst watching the F1 on TV, first driver I remember is Rene Arnoux in his Renault.

I've got a load of 1:43 models - F1 (fairly random but at least one from most teams of the nineties onwards), Super Tourers, DTM and Group B (the best cars ever ). I also have several slot cars (F1, DTM, Rally) and build 1:24 kits (or would if I ever had enough time - I've got 3 just sitting there waiting to be built!).

I buy MN the week after any decent events have been on, Track and Race if there's something good in there (and if I can find it!) and Autosport on very rare occasions (haven't bought it yet this year).

As far as 'live' motorsport goes - I go to club meetings with a friend who races a Mini and a Metro Cosworth, I co-drive on stage rallies a few times a year (and have marshalled on the local rally too), watch Rallycross at Lydden (and elsewhere if I can) and attend other 'interesting' meetings (so far this year - BTCC, WTCC, DTM, Group C with Rallyday more BTCC and Trucks to come ).

My understanding has increased significantly since getting involved 'hands on' both in terms of the actual mechanicals of how the cars actually work to how much work is involved in getting a car ready to compete. My respect for those who organise events has increased hugely and the same goes for the marshals without whom none of it would be possible (apologies if that last bit sounds like an oscar acceptance speech!)
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1654640)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Interesting stuff, folks, keep it coming! If you don't want to commit a long essay then please fill out the poll for us so we know where to channel our energies in the future. Though I am really enjoying reading the posts and learning a little more about why everyone else is interested in what they are interested in!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1655336)   #10
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm 35.
First race was 77 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone (XJ12 Jags v Alpina CSL)
Been to Le Mans every year since, but will probably give it a miss next year as I think it is really crap nowadays - too busy, full of ****heads and all that debris fencing seriously annoys me.
Love Spa 24 (84,86,01,02,03,04,05) and all set for this years.
FIA GT rocks
BTCC is garbage chav racing IMHO
DTM is cool
Open wheelers fail to excite me

Autosport is a dreadful publication and has been for years

Memorabilia - c.300 1/43 Le Mans and GT (Minichamps, BBR, Mistral, Starter etc) Looking to offload some of them soon. All the Official ACO yearbooks too plus laods of videos

Motorsport isnt as all-consuming as it used to be for me:
Poisonous snakes, War at Sea get me totally immersed

But fell running, hillwalking, camping in Snowdonia and the Lakes are my current raison d'etre

And most importantly, I am father to Isabella Rose - Izzie (6 yrs). She is my absolute, total sunshine.

Best wishes

Last edited by Knowlesy; 13 Jul 2006 at 17:45.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1655619)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About to hit 40, been a car and racing nut since grandfather learned that the fastest way of quietening me in the cot was a Matchbox car and a copy of Motor Sport. That would have been 1968...

Autosport? Barring three elusive ones from the early fifties, I've got a complete run from 1950 number 1 to 2004. I've a few gaps since then, following an infamous "best crashes ever" edition which despite the then-editor's protestations, broke a lifetime addiction to the weekly purchase.

I've remained loyal to Motor Sport though, now got a complete run from 1946 to date and plenty from pre-war too.

Race programmes - 5000 and counting, mainly British clubbies as the limited information in GP programmes can be gleaned from other sources.

Too many races archived on tape and disc to mention.

Books - too many again, probably with a bias towards sports car racing in the fifties and sixties. Most of the essential driver biographies too, but still looking for that elusive "The Certain Sound", darn it!

I prefer to build my model cars, so I tend not to collect Minichamps and the like. I'm more interested in 1/43 kits by Provence Moulage, Renaissance, John Shinton and the like. Again, sports cars to the fore.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1656300)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm Pete. My first real taste in motorsports came in 1989 when my dad watched the 1989 Daytona 500 on the glorious Screensport (sigh, I sure miss that channel). For some reason the sight of 43 rather boxy stock cars screaming towards turn one made a lasting impression, and stock cars in general - and vintage ones in particular - have had a special meaning ever since.

It wasn't, however, until around 1994 I really started to follow motorsports for real, and from primarily watching NASCAR, Champ Car and DTM/ITC in those days I quickly broadened my range of interest to watch just about anything that has an engine and you are able to race with it.

From the end of 1999, when we lost Greg Moore who easily was my favorite Champ Car driver, and roughly two years onwards (in no way helped by the loss of one of my two main stock car favorites, Dale Earnhardt Sr.) my interest in motorsports went down to an all-time low, but then towards the end of 2001 I found my way back and haven't looked back since.

It was also around that time I started to collect racing magazines, books and videos for real, primarily stock car ones. A bit more in-depth:

Magazines - got lots of issues of Stock Car Racing Magazine, with quite a few dating back to the very early years of that magazine, 1967-1968 etc. I also have nearly all issues of the National Speed Sport News magazine from 1977, which was a real "impulse-buy" after getting in touch with someone who mentioned he had a box with those magazines in the attic Add to that scattered issues of Autosport, Speed Age Magazine (several issues from the 1950's) + a few more scattered ones.

Books - the majority are about either the Daytona 500 or the Indianapolis 500, as I have a huge appreciation for the history of those two races, but I have quite a few other books as well including some Grand Prix ones (like an old hardcopy of "the Cruel Sport" by Robert Daley).

Videos - See the motorsport video collection thread for more details on this.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1656432)   #13
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn you all! I was about to go to bed and try and get over my jetlag when I saw this great thread. So:

I'm Paul. Turned 22 on the Sunday of the US GP, which I watched in a sports bar in New York (hence the jetlag. And sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging, but it's not every day I get to write something like that!).

Anyway. my Mum had a passing interest in F1 and I somehow got hooked in. I think the first footage of any race I ever saw was the European GP in '93, though I was only 8 at the time, so the memory is a little hazy. I remember following the '94 and '95 seasons fairly well, and then it really kicked off in '96. I've only missed one race since then - the '97 Belgian GP (I was in London at the time and I still long to this day to watch it in it's entirety!). Though I did fall asleep part way through the '04 Hungarian GP, but I'd happily argue with anyone who tried to suggest that there was anything better to do.

I've never really followed one driver in particular. Damon Hill of course at first, and I've always been happy to see British drivers win. I tend to support the underdog generally, so I was always happy to see Minardi and the like score points. Show me a fan who wasn't! Nowadays, however, (and I have stated this elsewhere) I can't help but be impressed by Fernando Alonso, and I would happily watch him win every race over the rest of this season. For some reason I just don't get bored of watching him.

Attended my first British GP in '04 when I went to Silverstone for all three days (on my own, it has to be said, and I probably had a better time for it to be honest). Went again in '05 and took my Mum and brother this time, and would have gone again this year except I went to see Bon Jovi in Milton Keynes. I think a foreign race is on the cards next; perhaps Canada or Australia (though I'm not sure I could tolerate the flying to be honest).

I've always follwed other motorsport, especially BTCC and WRC, though my levels of enthusiasm generally match the quality of TV coverage given to them. My love for WRC has diminished recently; I can't help but feel the sport has been sanitised a little too much. Bring back the Safari Rally!

Try and keep up to date with IRL/ChampCars etc, but generally proves to be difficult, especially with only four TV channels to pick from.

Since '97 I've bought F1 Racing magazine every month. I also buy the occasional Autosport, but I really do mean occasional, especially since getting broadband earlier this year. Which is also when I found Tenths, although the amount of time I can spend perusing its pages varies tremendously, hence I am something of an irregular contributor.

I have books and DVDs and season review videos, but no great numbers of anything in particular due to a combination of lack of space and a need to invest money elsewhere. Ain't that always the way?!

Oh, and then I became a marshal last year (because I figured it was as close as an armchair enthusiast was likely to get to the action), though again time limits the number of meetings I'm able to do. But it's great when I do get to do it.

So there we go. I love my motorsport, which probably suggests I'm in the right place!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1656727)   #14
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all my parents fault that I got hooked into motor sport and they are proud to take the blame.

Dad used to cycle to Brands to watch the scrambling/grasstrack racing from Sidcup before the war and by the time he married and settled down he had been to Goodwood, Silverstone etc many times. Apparently I went to Silverstone for the 1956 GP at the tender age of ten months for my first motorsport experience but unsurprisingly cannot remember it (damn!).

During the sixties my parents helped out several friends who raced and ended up working for Alan Fraser at weekends with the Imps so that I was at a race meeting at least twice a month for club and international meetings. I probably talked to Andrew Kitson several times at the old drivers stand at Paddock bend at Brands whilst our respective parents were down in the pits.

Consequently we got to know many drivers of the time and at one film night run by the local motor club that my parents belonged to I sat on the knee of a young New Zealander who was going somewhere in Formula Junior. He had to put up with a lot of questions from an enquiring eight year old but was polite, friendly and very patient. In 1967 he became his country's first world champion and every time we saw him at a race meeting he would always stop and chat, ask how we all were etc. So much for the grizzly bear, a real hero of mine along with Jim Clark who we all thought was untouchable until 1968.

By the early seventies I was starting to collect models of my favourite cars and this has developed into a collection of over 400 1/43 kits covering Spa 24 hours, BTCC (preferably 1963-1973, when men were men and gfm was nervous!) and RAC rally.

I had a huge collection of programmes from the era but sadly they were lost during a house move when a helpful grandma put them out for the dustmen due to a misunderstanding (never know how she lived to 96 after that well meaning mistake) and I also had an autograph book to die for but someone pinched it at a race meeting in the early seventies and I am still simmering with rage over that loss. Some of the names included Neubaur, Clark, G Hill, P Hill, Fangio, Moss and included messages as well.

Still collecting today and that includes photos of my collecting themes and any dvd's and videos as well, but at a much reduced rate due to cost and three children who growing up very rapidly and costing me a fortune.

Other interests include cricket (still playing badly at 50!) historic aircraft (as I write a Spitfire from Goudhurst has just flown over the house on its way to Duxford I think) and developing my sons interests in the world of sport and collecting.

Glyn
Old 15 Jul 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1656734)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn parham
By the early seventies I was starting to collect models of my favourite cars and this has developed into a collection of over 400 1/43 kits covering Spa 24 hours, BTCC (preferably 1963-1973, when men were men and gfm was nervous!) and RAC rally.
Well we must have quite a collection between us... hang on, you sold me some of your collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn parham
I had a huge collection of programmes from the era but sadly they were lost during a house move when a helpful grandma put them out for the dustmen due to a misunderstanding (never know how she lived to 96 after that well meaning mistake) and I also had an autograph book to die for but someone pinched it at a race meeting in the early seventies and I am still simmering with rage over that loss. Some of the names included Neubaur, Clark, G Hill, P Hill, Fangio, Moss and included messages as well.
OMG - both losses must have been heartbreaking!

Keep the posts coming, folks, it's really interesting!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1657056)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm Chris and am 16, 17 at the end of August. My interest in motorsport is predominantly F1, simply because up to a few years ago it is the only motorsport I watched and have been obsessed with it ever since I started watching in 1998. No matter how dull the races are, I remain as fascinated as I was when I was 8. In the last few years though I have started following Moto GP, British Superbikes, GP2, A1GP and BTCC and have got to the current situation where I am obsessed with motorsport. Something which my family certainly does not share

My interests in this area lie with DVDs/videos and books. I have loads of motorsport books, mainly season reviews, biographies, autobiographies and so on, and even more videos and DVDs. A description of my ever-growing collection is on the 'videos and DVDs' thread. If my finances allowed me to buy every single F1 video available on eBay (obviously not the same one each time) then I would do that. Same with BTCC. I am also developing a habit of recording every motorsport event I watch on TV. I have got through too many VHS tapes this season to recall.

My one regret so far is that I have never been to a Grand Prix, which bugs me so much. I know no-one with an interest in motorsport so getting down to Silverstone is a problem. I hope to persuade my dad to take me next year though. Trying to get him into F1 though sure is hard work!

Magazines...well, the motorsport-related ones are F1 Racing and Autosport, although I only buy Autosport when the main story interests me and I can't get away with reading all the story in the shop ;-) I have a habit of collecting all the magazines I buy, so in 20 or so years time I will have a collection worth bragging about.

My other interest is footy. But that's not motorsport-related so I will save it for other people.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1657528)   #17
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My name is Nicholas or Nicky or Nick or Nickolei or.....

Anyway, I got into motorsport when I was about 4, because I had a Ford Escort Toy Car sponsored by martini and while I was flicking through channels to find my kiddies Programmes, I stumbled upon the ITC and at that exact moment there was a Martini Alfa Romeo on the screen, I stared at it then looked at the car in my hand, then I jumped up and shouted, Its the same! its the same! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! weeeeee.... etc,etc.

I started to whatch F1 round about 1996/7 when I lived in Galway I remember whatching it one day, I cant remember which GP, but I guess it was the Argentinian GP. I moved back to scotland in 98, and I cant remember anything from that year. I remember during the 99 Monaco GP, getting out my toy F1 cars, taking out the video cases and recreating the Monaco circuit, complete with a tunnel! The Living room was a mess when the grand prix finnished!

I discovered the BTCC and MotoGP and Le Mans and the WRC and Rallycross in 2000.

During 2001 I was right into F1 as a Micheal Schumacher fan but that would be the last year where I was his fan. In 2002, I taped NASCAR races and IRL and other motorsports on Channels 4 and 5 because F1 was so boring. In 2003 F1 was at its best and it was up untill that year that I had taped every GP since Monza 1999, I gradualy stopped taping races through 2004.

In 2005 I whatched any Motorsport that was on, but after getting Motors TV, That stopped because I discovered that I could not sit through Tractor Pulling, or anything like that.

I have a wide collection of over 60 model cars, busses and trams as well as an Autograph book with signitures from Alister Mcrae, Alan McNish, Andy Priaulx, David Leslie and loads more!

I love designing tracks, and car liveries as well

I have over 40 racing games for my PS2!!!

I usually go to Knockhill every year for the BTCC but this year I cant make it because of the great Scottish Run on the same day! But I love my running, and when you finninsh that final sprint, you feel great!

Last edited by nickyf1; 16 Jul 2006 at 14:38.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1657556)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
Nicole?
Old 16 Jul 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1657666)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, you know, I really dont know about that one.....
Old 16 Jul 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1657695)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey hey all, my name's Rich, or Richard, or anything else you fancy calling me... I'm 15, (16 on october 9th )
My interest in motorsport bloomed aorund age 3/4, when i was with my friend, and we were playing with toy cars, and watching soem racing on the telly. (can't remember what)

From that day on, i would hunt around the 4 channels on tv at the time, desperately looking for any racing, when i did find some, i was glued to it. Not even Thomas the Tank Engine could tear me away from it, and i loved Thomas.

I began getting intereted in F1 around 1994, and attempted to tape nearly every race, but failed miserably, as i am so unorganised..

To this day, i still adore racing, in any shape or form, and still want to achieve my lifelong dream of becoming a paid racing driver. One day...

I joined ten-tenths in August of 2005, i was attracted by the track design section, as i had been drawing circuits for years previously. Ofcourse, i also joined for the wide range of topics covered, and some great people who also post here.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1657797)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Not even Thomas the Tank Engine could tear me away from it, and i loved Thomas.

same with my wee brother and me when I was young
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1658946)   #22
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I'm Allon, (not that you would ever guess it from my forum name ) and whilst I'm not sure when I first got in to motorsport I can just about remember the infamous Piquet/Salazar fight in 1982. I would have 9 or 10 then so you can work out my age from there.

Watched F1 increasingly regularly in the 1980s and loved the BTCC from the Sierra Cosworth days through to the peak in the early 90s. I remember watching the annual highlights of Bathhurst on the BBC as well, didn't know what the race was at the time but was wowed by seeing big Jags and Camaros there. Also loved the occassional bit of rallycross that got shown as well.

Got turned on to Le Mans quite by chance and went to my first ever race at there in 1999. I still remember with a shiver the sound of the first car at 7.05pm on Wednesday practice and knowing immediately I was hooked. Have been every year since, (including 2001, 10 days after returning from honeymoon... ). Still the only race I go to, especially I now I have a family, the annual pilgrimage with Craig is one of the highlights of the year for me.

I now tape what I can from Channel 5 motorsport stuff in the middle of the night, but have stopped bothering with BTCC (Max Power dodgems) and F1 (like slot racing but with less excitement).

Only started collecting stuff in the last few years. Books are mainly on F1 and sportscar history, as well as some books on specifics such as Porsche racing sportscars. Small dvd/video collection on same theme. Small (otherwise divorce looms ) model collection; 1/18 Porsche 917s and Jag C and D types.

Joined ten-tenths in 2001 after lurking for a few months and made some good friends through it. I read it most days and whilst not the most prolific poster, certainly one the most intelligent and good-looking.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1659239)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1

Anyway, I got into motorsport when I was about 4, because I had a Ford Escort Toy Car sponsored by martini and while I was flicking through channels to find my kiddies Programmes, I stumbled upon the ITC and at that exact moment there was a Martini Alfa Romeo on the screen, I stared at it then looked at the car in my hand, then I jumped up and shouted, Its the same! its the same! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! weeeeee.... etc,etc.

I started to whatch F1 round about 1996/7 when I lived in Galway I remember whatching it one day, I cant remember which GP, but I guess it was the Argentinian GP. I moved back to scotland in 98, and I cant remember anything from that year. I remember during the 99 Monaco GP, getting out my toy F1 cars, taking out the video cases and recreating the Monaco circuit, complete with a tunnel! The Living room was a mess when the grand prix finnished!

I discovered the BTCC and MotoGP and Le Mans and the WRC and Rallycross in 2000.

During 2001 I was right into F1 as a Micheal Schumacher fan but that would be the last year where I was his fan. In 2002, I taped NASCAR races and IRL and other motorsports on Channels 4 and 5 because F1 was so boring. In 2003 F1 was at its best and it was up untill that year that I had taped every GP since Monza 1999, I gradualy stopped taping races through 2004.

In 2005 I whatched any Motorsport that was on, but after getting Motors TV, That stopped because I discovered that I could not sit through Tractor Pulling, or anything like that.

I have a wide collection of over 60 model cars, busses and trams as well as an Autograph book with signitures from Alister Mcrae, Alan McNish, Andy Priaulx, David Leslie and loads more!

I love designing tracks, and car liveries as well

I have over 40 racing games for my PS2!!!

I usually go to Knockhill every year for the BTCC but this year I cant make it because of the great Scottish Run on the same day! But I love my running, and when you finninsh that final sprint, you feel great!
can I add on a bit?

I am one of the younger ten-tenthers so I go to school..... I dont like maths, well everyone does'nt anyway. I love going out on my bike and finding spots for big air, My favourite spot is in the park I live near, it is a very steep downhill bit and at the bottom, there is a big hump and a grass bank, I always go for the big hump! I can get atleast a meter high and on the bank about 75 cm!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1661694)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi, I'm James and I'm 15. I started following F1 in about 93/94-ish - obviously I can't remember the exact race - and have stayed relatively in touch since (though my interest wained about during the lean years). I've also been a rally fan, and the 93 RAC Rally is still on tape, as is 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04 and 05!! I've also been a fan of the BTCC, although I lost touch after the Super Tourers were gotten rid of. Now, though, I'm back watching, and so far, I haven't missed a race this year

I got into it in a big(ger) way last year, and joined here early this year. I've mainly been hiding in My Tracks, though I have occasionally emerged to post elsewhere

I went to my first big race meeting this year at Thruxton (BTCC), although had been to a few at Pembrey (British F3 back in about 97 and 98) and Castle Combe. I've also been to the rally a few times - you can't get away from it, because the stages are so close now!!

My memorabilia collection is a bit low, mainly because I used to keep switching between my various interests (inc trains, football, and various other sports). I've got a couple of autographs, the main one being (I think) Justin Wilson when he was in Formula Vauxhall at Pembrey in 97. I've got plenty of videos, DVDs and books, though!!

Anyway, that's all for now from me - I've bored you enough for one day, I think
Old 26 Jul 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1665124)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, okay, let me strike a thoughtful pose (something of an incandescent vogue?), and then write some decadent prose. Or not, as the case will hopefully be. Just forget about this first paragraph. Such rambling nonsense just spurted out from somewhere unknown (*starts scary music*).

I was born in October 1981, which makes me 24 years old (for those who can't count). I lived in different parts of Scotland until just before Xmas 2004, at which point I moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

The whole motorsport thing has been a part of me as long as I have memories. This was born of my Dad watching the F1 GPs. I have odd flashes of F1 memories from the mid-to-late 1980s, but proper ones don't really kick in until the 1990s. This spawned my life-long interest in Ferrari. If there is a (are) Ferrari(s) in a race, be it factory or privateer, then my desires of success are directed at said machine(s)/team(s). Red has always been my favourite colour, and it was thus, in those early days of motorsport interest, which was F1, I happened to pick "the red cars" that were well known.

It remains my weakness to this day, and I don't suppose that is ever going to change.

I didn't really start following other motorsport much until about 1993/1994. I had watched other stuff before then, but it was more incidental than anything else. Nowadays, well, I will watch any competition involving motorised vehicles that I find. One exception to this, in terms of TV, is drag racing, although I don't mind it trackside (still doesn't really float my boat too much).

In the UK I managed to get to regrettably small amounts of racing trackside (mixture of lack of transport/funds/time to do so - physical location not helping much for the first 13 years!). However, now that I live near Calgary, it is all good. There is a race track in the city, which has stuff weekly from April/May through until the end of September. So, I get to that most weekends. I have more or less zero knowledge of any of the series that race there, but that is of no real concern to me. The whole point of going to see it is the experience.

In terms of material stuff, by far the most dominant aspect is media stuff: books, magazines, DVDs, videos, programmes. I have some other bits and bobs, but nothing of comparable volume.

I think that just about covers it.

Last edited by Dutton; 26 Jul 2006 at 16:40.