Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Sep 2003, 09:23 (Ref:729513)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Calling all Irish Motorsport fans......

Hmmm not 100% sure this is the right place for this post, but seems more appropriate than Parc Ferme...

After wading through the RTE news site in an attempt to find some information on the Leinster Trophy, I was disgusted to find that they haven't even mentioned it. In fact the last entry in their Irish Motorsport section is for the 9th of September.

I've just sent them a letter as I really feel this is ridiculous - it shouldn't be necessary for me to buy Autosport to get Irish Motorsport news.

Below is the letter I sent. If anyone else feels that RTE should put a bit more effort into promoting their national motor racing (after all, they don't seem to have any difficulty keeping up with Formula 1!), then emails should be sent to motorsport@rte.ie

Hi there,

I'm curious as to how the coverage on Irish Motorsport is chosen?

September 13th/14th was the Leinster Trophy at Mondello Park. The Leinster Trophy is a highly prestigious and historical event. It's been running since 1934. It has been won by such drivers as Ayrton Senna and Mikka Hakkinen.

In addition, traditionally it is the final championship round for many Irish classes - this year, it was the final round for the Dunlop Supercars (www.dunlopsupercars.com); Formula Ireland (www.formula-ireland.com) and the Punto Arbarths (www.fiatcup.com)

This being the case, I am wondering why there is no mention whatsoever in your Irish motorsport section of either the event or the results?

Also, whilst there is sporadic coverage of the exploits of Michael Devaney, there is absolutely nothing on the Irish Jonathan Fildes taking the UK Clio Championship by storm this year and winning it in his first year of entry. The Clios are a very popular and large UK class and a support race to the British Touring Car Championship. Surely this was worth a mention? Or that Eoin Murray, another Irish driver, took a third in this championship?

Why bother to have an Irish motorsport section if you're not going to cover Irish Motorsport or Irish drivers?

Irish Motorsport struggles every year to find enough sponsorship to keep going and part of the problem is that many people don't know it's there. I get more information from Autosport and Motorsport News (both British publications) about Irish motorsport than I get from our country's premier news provider. I'm sure you can understand that I find this rather disappointing.

I would appreciate it if you could give me some idea of RTE's goals regarding Irish Motorsport coverage as I find this very confusing.

Name & Address Supplied
Old 26 Sep 2003, 07:27 (Ref:730488)   #2
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can sympathise with you on this one EP........
In last weeks Autosport there was not a mention.....none that I found anyway.....Of the previous weekends activities in the Midland Hillclimb Championship.........
It seems all we get nowadays is F1 and a bit of rallying etc.........Good old club sport get hardly a mention.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:42 (Ref:730736)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just a point, but they probably don't cover the clio cup because no-one sends them anything. they probably can't afford to send someone themselves so rely on agency or individuals to file reports.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 13:15 (Ref:730775)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
bella, I'm not expecting them to cover the Clio cup from start to finish - but how hard could it possibly be to find out who won the championship.

The drivers I mentioned both have Irish managers and I know that they provide PR information - it's just not used.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 21:19 (Ref:732406)   #5
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the costs to race in Formula Ireland?
Old 29 Sep 2003, 09:06 (Ref:733776)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
www.formula-ireland.com
Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:733905)   #7
woody148uk
Rookie

woody148uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E.P
theres always something in the IN GEAR motor sport in this months they have a bit about the craigantlet hill climb
and club fixtures up to the 27th oct
hope this helps
contact number to list event is
01299 401177
Old 29 Sep 2003, 12:11 (Ref:733981)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Hi Woody, thanks for that and I do appreciate that Irish Motorsport is covered in quite a lot of UK media. What I'm objecting to is that it receives virtually no coverage in the Irish media.

The fact that In Gear (which is a great publication btw) can manage to provide coverage of Irish motorsport events but our own national TV provider does not do so forms a large part of my complaint!