Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3276299)   #1
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Young Driver Test

Not been able to find answer elsewhere, is there any capacity for marshals to volunteer for this? Not too sure how the whole Silverstone/F1 thingy works, whether it's kept within the Silverstone Marshals Club or whether others can volunteer. I'm aware it's not staffed like a 'proper' track day but surely there are people dotted about?
Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3276302)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We had an e-mail to say that volunteers wouldn't be needed as it would be covered by the normal mid-week crew, but that if you're a club member your card would get you entry if you wanted to spectate.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3276320)   #3
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
We had an e-mail to say that volunteers wouldn't be needed as it would be covered by the normal mid-week crew, but that if you're a club member your card would get you entry if you wanted to spectate.
Thanks!
Old 10 Jul 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3276337)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where "club" is "Silverstone Marshals Team", for the avoidance of doubt...
Old 11 Jul 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3276461)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'BOBS' rule ok?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3276577)   #6
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Where "club" is "Silverstone Marshals Team", for the avoidance of doubt...
Does that mean then that the rest of the marshalling fraternity not being members of this club, but holders of a MSA Licence, are not allowed free access?

But don't care.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3276582)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Does that mean then that the rest of the marshalling fraternity not being members of this club, but holders of a MSA Licence, are not allowed free access?
I don't know. I got an email from Penny at Silverstone which specifically stated that SMT passes will get access to the circuit. None of it's any use to me as I'm (a) not an SMT member and (b) going to be somewhere hotter than Silverstone at the time!

Pedant mode on: unless you have something different, we both have an MSA registration card - not a licence.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3276583)   #8
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Correct. Though membership of SMT isn't exclusive. It's open to anybody and only costs £15 - which incidentally is the cost of a day ticket to the young driver test...
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3276584)   #9
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know. I got an email from Penny at Silverstone which specifically stated that SMT passes will get access to the circuit. None of it's any use to me as I'm (a) not an SMT member and (b) going to be somewhere hotter than Silverstone at the time!
I'm not a SMT member either - just BMMC - enjoy your 'oliday

Quote:
Pedant mode on: unless you have something different, we both have an MSA registration card - not a licence.
yes, yes, yes I know

But don't care.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3276587)   #10
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
"Correct. Though membership of SMT isn't exclusive. It's open to anybody and only costs £15 - which incidentally is the cost of a day ticket to the young driver test... "

Thank you, although that appears to be a little unfair to the rest of us. What other advantages are there to be a member of SMT?

But don't care.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3276592)   #11
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd not say it was unfair. After all, I'd not expect to get into to watch any event at any other circuit on the back of my SMT pass or my MSA registration card*. If this was being held at Brands, Donington or Oulton I'd expect to pay.

Lots of advantages to being an SMT member! Some of them are:

- Subsidised overalls, which can come in both orange or black and (if I recall aright) money back after you've done a number of days at the circuit
- Vouchers for Silverstone merchandise /experiences on completion of a certain number of days (calculated at the end of each year, but if you don't reach the number it rolls over to next year)
- Subsidised, and in many cases free, social activities
- Access to the circuit to spectate events other than F1, MotoGP (can't remember about the Classic off the top of my head)
- Friendly bunch of folks to work with (there's one or two exceptions, but you'll get that anywhere)
- Devastatingly beautiful and efficient person running the team (I have to say that, I'm married to her
)

* As an aside, I find it amusing that the MSA keeps a register of us but feels that the drivers have to be licenced.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3276593)   #12
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
None that non-members are not entitled to also, apart from maybe the dinner dance in February. Some marshals are also members of BRSCC or BARC or 750MC or HSCC. They will get 'perks' through their membership of those clubs.

'Free entry' to the F1 driver/tyre test is either a perk of membership of the SMT or included in the cost of membership, depends on how you regard it.

If this is going to be an annual event and you want to get in for 'free', then please join the team .......
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3276594)   #13
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Lots of advantages to being an SMT member! Some of them are:

- Subsidised overalls, which can come in both orange or black and (if I recall aright) money back after you've done a number of days at the circuit
- Vouchers for Silverstone merchandise /experiences on completion of a certain number of days (calculated at the end of each year, but if you don't reach the number it rolls over to next year)
Paul,

Aren't non-members also entitled to these if they put the time in ?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3276597)   #14
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
If this is going to be an annual event and you want to get in for 'free', then please join the team .......
Thank you (and pauln) for the updates.

When I marshalled mainly at a specific circuit I was a member of the "local" club, so over the years this has included BRSCC, BARC, and the original Silverstone Marshals club - but have always being a member of BMMC.

Now I have no particular circuit affiliation there doesn't seem to be any point in joining 'their' club - but thanks for the offer

But don't care.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3276601)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Paul,

Not that I'm aware of. This is another benefit of joining the team.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3276628)   #16
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Paul,

I'm fairly certain the overalls deal is a membership one, Steve. Off the top of my head I can't remember about the vouchers.

The one I forgot is the annual gift on joining/renewing membership. Over the past few years these have been an insulated lunchbox, a water carrier, a branded polo-shirt, a small torch that snaps onto a belt/keyring/carabina.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3276632)   #17
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can become a "BOB" and be proud to be one
Old 11 Jul 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3276665)   #18
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
Quote:
I'm fairly certain the overalls deal is a membership one, Steve. Off the top of my head I can't remember about the vouchers.

The one I forgot is the annual gift on joining/renewing membership. Over the past few years these have been an insulated lunchbox, a water carrier, a branded polo-shirt, a small torch that snaps onto a belt/keyring/carabina.
It's logical that the overalls are 'exclusive'. Like yourself, I can't quite remember. My excuse why I can't recall the info is my vintage.

And your excuse is ???
Old 11 Jul 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3276793)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm fairly certain the overalls deal is a membership one.
Which reminds me, I must order mine.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3276923)   #20
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
My excuse is usually too much of a good vintage!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3276941)   #21
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
Quote:
My excuse is usually too much of a good vintage!
Why does wine not have a 'sell by' date ?