Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Sep 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3300025)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Must see events

I'm sure most of you have a wish list of places to go and races to see. How about it?

Here are some of mine:
Le Mans 24 hrs (done this one and will continue for as long as possible)
Bonneville Speed Week - crazy place, crazy vehicles, strange people
Daytona 500
Indy 500 (about 20 years ago)
Something fast at Spa (never been, embarrassing)
Bathurst 1000
Italian GP (Monza)
An NHRA Top Fuel meeting (no idea which)
Some Dutch tractor pulling (just kidding)

That's enough for now.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3300275)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Agree with Le Mans for the 24hour (also managed that)
Also agree with Daytona and Indy; and something at Spa (all still on the bucket list shamedly)
Would raise the Isle of Man for the TT (now a regular for me)
And also Monaco - even if not for the GP at least to look at the circuit
Old 7 Sep 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3300300)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Le Mans is SO worth the money and the effort. It's an experience you'll never forget - I attended my first Le Mans this summer and it's truly awe-inspiring. I also saw Paul Ricard HTTT during the Blancpain Endurance Series weekend and that's a really nice top-notch facility that produces some great racing. The karting track is awesome, as well - I think I spent more time karting than watching racing and burned through at least 400 euros. I set fastest lap that weekend with a 00:58.4xx. If you beat 58 seconds in a rental kart, I'm impressed.

As far as North America goes, COTA is actually pretty amazing. The Grand-Am race isn't really all that special and I didn't even see the V8 Supercars race but the US Grand Prix was probably one of the most purely fun moments I've ever had. A crowd like you can't believe - 3/4s sufficiently drunk and stumbling across the track - epic. It's truly one big party... almost as much as Le Mans, I'd say! I'll be at COTA in a few weeks for the ALMS/WEC doubleheader, and it's SO worth it. Road America is truly amazing as well (not as sterilized as COTA or Montreal) and nicer people you will never meet. I managed the 2007 Canadian GP and hope to go back... the track, although quite small, was very impressive.

---

As far as my bucket list goes, I can cross off Le Mans now. Still looking to make the rest of the endurance classics:

1. 24 Hours of Spa
2. 24 Hours of Nurburgring
3. 12 Hours of Bathurst
4. Bathurst 1000
5. 24 Hours of Daytona
6. 12 Hours of Sebring
7. 6 Hours of Silverstone
8. 6 Hours of Spa
9. 1000 km/6 Hours of Fuji
10. Petit Le Mans
11. 24 Hours of Zolder
12. 24 Hours of Dubai

Also on my list to see is the Marina Bay Street Circuit and F1 race, the Monaco GP, the Sochi F1 circuit, Monza, Imola, Interlagos, Catalunya, the Macau GP, and Yas Marina. The Indy and Daytona 500 must be quite fun, as well.

As far as non-racing sporting events go, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 (just announced today!!) are must-see events.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3300302)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to add Road America to the list.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3300454)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Le man 24hr
Nurburgring 24hr
Daytona 24hr
Italian GP
Goodwood festival of speed
Daytona 500
Indy 500
Bristol NASCAR
NHRA US Nationals
Boneville

To be honest I could quite happily spend a year travelling across the states, from oval to circuit to drag strip doing all the big events and going to some random short tracks in between to sample the club scene! My idea of heaven!!!
Old 8 Sep 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3300463)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Of that list, i've done Le Mans, Indy & the Italian GP. All great.

What i'd add (of races i've been too and recall fondly) is the Macau GP and Pau GP. Great events.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3300500)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been lucky enough to go to some classics over the past few years. British GP, Italian GP, Canadian GP, Indy 500, Goodwood FOS, Le Mans 24... um, Milwaukee too!

I need to complete racing's Holy Trinity by going to Monaco... and it's on my birthday next year? Hmm.

I haven't been to Spa yet, which is insane. The F1 race would be the event I guess, but the 24 Hours or the 6 Hours would also be great ways to tick it off the bucket list. I haven't been to an endurance race since Le Mans '11, so one of the Enduros at Spa is being thought about for next year.

The Nurburgring 24 hours looks amazing as well. over 150 cars on this iconic track, twice around the clock... it's on the bucket list for sure. I quite fancy the Daytona 24 for enduros as well.

Suzuka is another circuit I MUST go to. The F1 race would be a great, but I'd rather see something unique to me. Super GT or Super Formula (formerly known as Formula Nippon). That would also give me the chance to go on circuit safari!

I'm going to my first WRC event in Spain later in the year. Really looking forward to it. Although, for a bucket list, I'd rather go to Finland, Sweden or Monte Carlo.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3300777)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
I've been lucky enough to go to some classics over the past few years. British GP, Italian GP, Canadian GP, Indy 500, Goodwood FOS, Le Mans 24... um, Milwaukee too!

I need to complete racing's Holy Trinity by going to Monaco... and it's on my birthday next year? Hmm.

I haven't been to Spa yet, which is insane. The F1 race would be the event I guess, but the 24 Hours or the 6 Hours would also be great ways to tick it off the bucket list. I haven't been to an endurance race since Le Mans '11, so one of the Enduros at Spa is being thought about for next year.

The Nurburgring 24 hours looks amazing as well. over 150 cars on this iconic track, twice around the clock... it's on the bucket list for sure. I quite fancy the Daytona 24 for enduros as well.

Suzuka is another circuit I MUST go to. The F1 race would be a great, but I'd rather see something unique to me. Super GT or Super Formula (formerly known as Formula Nippon). That would also give me the chance to go on circuit safari!

I'm going to my first WRC event in Spain later in the year. Really looking forward to it. Although, for a bucket list, I'd rather go to Finland, Sweden or Monte Carlo.
Indulge yourself on your birthday... buy yourself a big, expensive present!!

I have to add Suzuka and the Goodwood Festival of Speed to my list. Pau GP would be epic, as well.