Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Jan 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3494600)   #1
Willbee
Rookie

Willbee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NEW RACE SERIES

NEW RACE SERIES

The ROC Challenge is a multi-make race series for Sports Prototype Racing Cars, both bike-engined based (eg Radicals) and car-engined based (eg Junos). The series will be run by the BARC. The series will be squarely aimed at the privateer clubman, by keeping entry costs competitive and closely monitoring driving standards.

All sports prototype racing cars will be eligible as long as they sit within the maximum power-to-weight figure. Radicals, ADRs, Spires, MCRs, Global Light, Sports 200 cars etc

Although the regulations will be available soon, there will be two classes which will be defined by power-to-weight.

9 May 2015 : Snetterton 300 Circuit
30 May 2015 : Rockingham International Sports Car Circuit
11 July 2015 : Donington National Circuit
30 August 2015 : Snetterton 300 Circuit
17 October 2015 : Rockingham International Sports Car Circuit

For more information, please contact radicaloc@googlemail.com

Old 20 Jan 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3494633)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Front engined Clubmans cars, Mallocks and the like?
Old 20 Jan 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3494641)   #3
Willbee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Front engined Clubmans cars, Mallocks and the like?
Thanks for asking Andy.

"An engine may be transversely or longitudinally mounted, but it must be mid mounted and drive only the
rear wheels i.e. behind the driver but forward of the rear axle/differential/drive shafts."
Old 21 Jan 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3494710)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clubmans cars are front, but mid-mounted engines driving the rear wheels. Why exclude them?

Seperately, are these Sprint races or longer, say 40 minutes to an hour "mini endurance" races?
Old 21 Jan 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3494869)   #5
Willbee
Rookie

Will get back to you regarding Mallock type machines, need to have a think.

Regarding race duration. Race days will consist of quali and 2X 20min races.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3494916)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
My next question is, what is the difference between this and the BRSCCs Open SportsCar Series (OSS)? Not trying to be awkward, I'd just like to understand the point of difference that is going to mean that competitors will opt for this series rather than OSS.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3494931)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a driver, so what follows can be given little weight; however, I'd question the wisdom of calling the series the ROC Challenge as it does imply that it will be for Radicals only. I know BARC tried to launch a Sports Racing Series last year (which failed to muster a single entry all season), but to my mind that name is much more fitting to the ethos of the series as described in previous posts.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3494952)   #8
Willbee
Rookie

Quote:
My next question is, what is the difference between this and the BRSCCs Open SportsCar Series (OSS)? Not trying to be awkward, I'd just like to understand the point of difference that is going to mean that competitors will opt for this series rather than OSS.
There will be a few differences between ROC Challenge and OSS. One significant point to note is that RCs upper PTW limit will fall short of many of the sharp end runners in OSS. Cars like 3.0L Jades, top-end Junos, Ligiers, Chirons etc are very quick and often several seconds quicker than the average Bike-engined Radical, Spire etc. Now these very expensive and exotic sports racers are superb and OSS provides a great environment for them to run in, but I am aiming to do things a little differently.

A little background. I initially started up the Radical Owners Club because a number of us Radical owners purely used our cars for trackdaying. Often a Radical can be frustrating on a mixed trackday due to the relative pace of other cars so started putting on private trackdays. This made things safer for everyone and also allowed trackdayers to run nearer race pace and made the big step up to racing seem more comprehensible. There are some guys who are now seeing the RC series as an opportunity to make the jump, who might not be so keen to cut their teeth in other series/championships. Now, that's not to say there will be a grid full of racing virgins, far from it. I've had significant interest from others with many years of racing under their belts.

I appreciate that the class system in OSS allows for someone without a 3.0 V6 to challenge and indeed win the championship as illustrated by Josh this year, but I am focussing on creating a racing environment where newbies and seasoned racers of middling paced sports racers can compete together cohesively.

Another significant point to remember is that there are not many places to race SR cars and for some RC will be just another place to go race in. For some privateer clubman with limited budgets, RC will be the only place to race whether because of costs, driving standards, car eligibility or a combination there of.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3494953)   #9
Willbee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I'm not a driver, so what follows can be given little weight; however, I'd question the wisdom of calling the series the ROC Challenge as it does imply that it will be for Radicals only. I know BARC tried to launch a Sports Racing Series last year (which failed to muster a single entry all season), but to my mind that name is much more fitting to the ethos of the series as described in previous posts.
You may well be right Kipper, time will tell. All I can say is that I am explaining where possible that it is multi marque. I accept that the majority of competitors will inevitably be driving Radicals however.

Unfortunately the BARC SRS was very poorly advertised. BARC do little in terms of advertising or promoting and very very few people even knew about it.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3494957)   #10
Willbee
Rookie

http://www.radicalownersclub.com/news-article/149
Old 8 Feb 2015, 10:18 (Ref:3502825)   #11
stevea968
Rookie

stevea968 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does that novice level Radical championship not exist any more? The one with the ARDS test at the beginning that Sir Chris Hoy learned to race in.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3502826)   #12
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea968 View Post
Does that novice level Radical championship not exist any more? The one with the ARDS test at the beginning that Sir Chris Hoy learned to race in.
The Radical SR1 championship still exists; that said, there may well be a place for the two to live side-by-side; given that there are restrictions on eligibility to the SR1s, plus a wider spectrum of cars can enter the ROC series.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 20:04 (Ref:3503392)   #13
stevea968
Rookie

stevea968 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough. I think one of the problems with the SR1 champs is that it is restricted to novices, so this new ROC series makes sense for experienced racers too.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3517345)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbee View Post
Will get back to you regarding Mallock type machines, need to have a think.

Regarding race duration. Race days will consist of quali and 2X 20min races.
Did you have a think about the front mid engined, Clubmans type cars?

2 races on one day is attractive and the Clubmans Proto and Cup car racers are already members of the BARC.

I don't know what your calendar is compared to Clubmans but if you are on the same weekend you may even attract some Clubmans cars who want a second race.

I have just agreed to buy a Clubmans car and might be interested in a few races!!!
Old 23 Mar 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3518671)   #15
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

This is essentially the OSCS. I have scrutineered at a couple of the races and whilst it is a good catch all series, there are basically 2 races within a race; one for the Radical 1100 ZZR engined type of cars and the other for the really powerful Junos etc.

Mallock style cars are allowed in the OSCS series [e.g. the Bowlby of Ginger Marshall] but not as many Mallock/Vision etc type of cars as one would expect.

The Castle Combe Sports/GT series is just as good and more fun for spectators etc.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3518776)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Understand all that, FoF, but I think the very speed of the cars you mention on the BRSCCs OSS (OSCS?) puts off the Clubmans cars and others. I was sort of hoping that someone would do a series that would pitch the cars that are not competitive in OSS against each other, like Clubmans cars, Sports 2000, Crossle 9S etc and was hoping that this series would be it. But it seems not.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3519127)   #17
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy97

Totally agree with your concept. You could fit people with Sports 2000 cars into the low-key series as well. Amazed you haven't had a greater response !

Am I imagining things or were you involved in Monoposto? I used to race in the FFord group in that series but got fed up begin thrashed by the bike-engined boys

Last edited by Flat Out Farr; 24 Mar 2015 at 20:00. Reason: rubbish spelling
Old 24 Mar 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3519133)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
When I first started trundling round a track in a race car, I tried Monoposto in a Vauxhall Junior and then a Vauxhall Lotus but was fairly hopeless, although I enjoyed myself and I reckon that Monoposto 1800 in the FVJ was the best value and fastest racing I have ever done per £.

I then tried my hand in FWD Tin Tops with CSCC which suited my limited talent better. I have been a CSCC guy for a few years now, more recemtly in Modern Classics in a Porsche 924S but I have just agreed to buy a Clubmans car to scratch that particular itch. I'm hoping that the front mid engined layout might suit me better than the single seaters, and Im even hoping that I can remove the cycle wings and have a race or two in Monoposto, if I get the right engine for it!
Old 27 Mar 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3520181)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Understand all that, FoF, but I think the very speed of the cars you mention on the BRSCCs OSS (OSCS?) puts off the Clubmans cars and others. I was sort of hoping that someone would do a series that would pitch the cars that are not competitive in OSS against each other, like Clubmans cars, Sports 2000, Crossle 9S etc and was hoping that this series would be it. But it seems not.
To add to this, a few years ago 750mc had a series called "Clubsports 2000", it's where the original Radicals were first introduced to the world, and included the types of cars I mention above. Perhaps it would be worth dusting off those regs and philosophy and applying it to this series.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 23:18 (Ref:3934810)   #20
essesracing_mads
Rookie

essesracing_mads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah! The Radical Cup North America is going on right now. Last race is November 15th-16th