Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 May 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3734183)   #376
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
But it did.

He signed the contract with triple 8
And isn't involved in the day to day operations
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 May 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3734189)   #377
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't really get the shock. So 888 is entertaining the idea of a phased introduction, not an altogether silly idea. Things may have happened differently in Simon McNamara's time as head of Holden's motorsport division, but that was in an era where there were more $ available to encourage teams to update.
Old 19 May 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3734377)   #378
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Because it wouldn't have happened on Mr McNamara's watch...
OK so there was an expectation that all Commodores would roll out in 2018 with TT6's.

I think that would have been a big ask and IMO teams would be very cautious right now which way to go, if they even make a change at all.

Clipsal 2018 is going to be very interesting.
Old 22 May 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3735285)   #379
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
OK so there was an expectation that all Commodores would roll out in 2018 with TT6's.
Most of the Holden teams aren't sponsored by Holden, so why would they update?
Old 23 May 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3735393)   #380
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Most of the Holden teams aren't sponsored by Holden, so why would they update?
The comment referred to GTR's expectations, not mine.

I never expected all Holden teams to update either.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3735401)   #381
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is really a big risk, but they are the official Holden racing team now, they have to fly the flag.

Given 888's form you'd have to think they will do alright, but I don't think we've ever had an overseas engine, other than Volvos that I would declare a success. Prodrive's was a disaster, AMG's wasn't much better.
Old 23 May 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3735573)   #382
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be interesting if they came out and hosed the field straight out of the box. But Roland wouldn't be that silly.
Old 24 May 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3735617)   #383
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine configuration should be an advantage, but only if fully developed as there's very little performance left to extract from the pushrods, so it'll be interesting to see how polished it is day dot. Chassis wise will be very interesting to watch.
Old 24 May 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3735627)   #384
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holdsworth Calls For Control
front Suspension

The thing here is that PHR has a 2013-spec front end in their chassis... by choice.
Financially induced or otherwise..

PHR bought a brand new 888 chassis last year, and settled for the 2013-spec uprights.

All the while having access to the newer mkV units.
The story at the time was PHR had heaps of spares of the old spec

When do they run out?
Old 24 May 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3735651)   #385
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do a deal with the Kosteckis?

He does have a point though. The development costs in the front-ends alone broadens the divide between the haves and have-nots even further.
Old 24 May 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3735680)   #386
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good idea. Why not?

PACE (Ceprnich) does the control spaceframe (when they all used to do different roll cage designs, now we can appreciate that it doesn't matter if they are all the same), so they may as well supply a control front suspension as well. Or perhaps the legendary Harrop Engineering could win the tender for the supply?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 24 May 2017 at 15:17.
Old 24 May 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3735682)   #387
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
He does have a point though. The development costs in the front-ends alone broadens the divide between the haves and have-nots even further.
It's simple unequal length double wishbone, like any other racing car... the range of pickup points is very restricted... I don't understand how development can be so complex in this area!?

Do 888 run more ball joints or something!? Is that allowed? I notice the Ford Mustang, for example, uses two lower ball-joints at the upright with two separate individual lower control arms.

As we know BTCC is very successful with all the teams using identical front and rear subframes and suspension. Albeit the supplier enjoys a bit of blatant price gouging, much to the annoyance of privateer teams.

BTCC front subframe

(Unless I mistaken (likely), there doesn't seem to be any provision for a front crumple zone which is a bit of a worry.)

BTCC rear subframe... Note the mass produced cast wishbones, also interchangeable from LHS to RHS, to reduce costs.

I recall the Supercars front suspension rules are a carryover from pre-COTF, as a kind of concession to reduce changeover costs for the teams at that point. That must no longer apply, with that old stock long crashed, beyond service life or pensioned off...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 24 May 2017 at 15:21.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3739473)   #388
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Gen 2 Holden Is Go

Complete with V8.....
Old 8 Jun 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3739551)   #389
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Gen 2 Holden Is Go

Complete with V8.....
good comprimise
Old 8 Jun 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3739557)   #390
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Old 9 Jun 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3739572)   #391
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
if it keeps the v8 and has 4 doors, is it a Gen 2?
Old 9 Jun 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3739575)   #392
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Np surprise with that one. Must say those renders look great though, hopefully representative.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 01:17 (Ref:3739576)   #393
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
I thought 888 had announced that the 2 Red Bull cars will be TT6s ??
Old 9 Jun 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3739587)   #394
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I thought 888 had announced that the 2 Red Bull cars will be TT6s ??
They did.. seems the plan changed...

It sounds similar to the VT rollout, Mr Murphy & Mr Perkins debuted it, and the name pilots were obligated to step into it by season's end.

If the V6 is being run as a wildcard, who might pilot it?
Old 9 Jun 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3739590)   #395
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
They did.. seems the plan changed...

It sounds similar to the VT rollout, Mr Murphy & Mr Perkins debuted it, and the name pilots were obligated to step into it by season's end.

If the V6 is being run as a wildcard, who might pilot it?

Matt Campbell perhaps?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/07/campbell-speed-first-t8-test/

I knew 888 had announced that.
Wasn't very long ago either.
I'd been considering handing in my Clipsal seat for 2018 and it was the interest of seeing 888 use TT6's that twisted my arm to renew
Old 9 Jun 2017, 05:19 (Ref:3739600)   #396
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Matt Campbell perhaps?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/07/campbell-speed-first-t8-test/

I knew 888 had announced that.
Wasn't very long ago either.
I'd been considering handing in my Clipsal seat for 2018 and it was the interest of seeing 888 use TT6's that twisted my arm to renew
It'll have to be a veteran I'd say if their looking at it from a developmental perspective it doesn't make much sense to run a relatively rookie driver it makes more sense to run a experienced driver like Paul Dumbrell.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3739604)   #397
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
It'll have to be a veteran I'd say if their looking at it from a developmental perspective it doesn't make much sense to run a relatively rookie driver it makes more sense to run a experienced driver like Paul Dumbrell.
Mr Campbell may well be a Bathurst 1000 winner by then
Old 9 Jun 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3739606)   #398
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

These images are interesting, they hide the crease line across the front door and rear doors.

Not sure how that will show up with the brands on them. This render has the base silver faded to dark grey and light grey ad the like to not show it up. But a sticker scheme like the pukka 888 or Team Vortex or GRM, might look wonky on there.

It is a base feature of the road going car, so cant really be adjusted
Old 9 Jun 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3739674)   #399
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wildcarding the V6TT is a shrewd move:-

- The car will be piloted by a non-regular, so likely not on the ultimate pace, so would likely get paritied favourably....just in time perhaps for SVG and Whincup to get the new engine for Sandown and Bathurst?

- If the engine is no good, proves too hard to parity right, is too thirsty etc etc... It can be quietly dropped and forgotten about with the new model bodyshape still running up the front anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Veterans aren't eligible to be wildcards IIRC
Old 22 Jun 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3745897)   #400
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Kia to supercars?

Quote:
Kia is confident its new Stinger GT will go Supercars racing, but the brand’s local distributor won’t be stumping up multi-million-dollar funding to race teams to make it happen