Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Nov 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3335928)   #101
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I have been involved in setting up several manufacturing/assembly/logistics facilities, and the golden rule is always to make everything as simple as possible.

Criss crossing states with cars and parts is nowhere near simple
Nor is it simple to build cars with significant equipment variation on the same line (without going to extreme robotics).

It is quite surprising that the work is still done in Clayton though - on the face of it having a facility at Elizabeth would seem to make more sense.

I can only guess that there must be good solid reasons to stick with Clayton.

Given that Holden's production line people are well regarded and have taken their expertise to other parts of the GM production world, you'd have to think that if they saw more benefit in doing all the HSV work at Elizabeth, it would have happened by now.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3335934)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The difference may be as simple as HSV and Holden having different owners

Holden used to build cars at Fishermans Bend back in 1988 didnt they?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Nov 2013, 11:17 (Ref:3335974)   #103
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Could be - although there IS a royalty structure, oversight of HSV engineering by Holden and of course the cars come down the line with different engines and some other items.

Whatever the pros and cons, the model works so they probably go with "if it ain't broke......"
Old 24 Nov 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3336186)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Could be - although there IS a royalty structure, oversight of HSV engineering by Holden and of course the cars come down the line with different engines and some other items.

Whatever the pros and cons, the model works so they probably go with "if it ain't broke......"
While the consumer is happy to arguably overpay for their products
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Nov 2013, 02:49 (Ref:3336323)   #105
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
I reckon that the price premium is expected by the consumer & if they still see value, so be it.
Still a good jigger for the money & that's probably enough for most.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3336326)   #106
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The difference may be as simple as HSV and Holden having different owners

Holden used to build cars at Fishermans Bend back in 1988 didnt they?
Fishermans bend had the foundries and Engine Plants, and the tech centre and R &D centre, plus they had something in another building around the corner in Port Melb.And the proving ground at Lang Lang

Assemblie was at Dandenong and Adelaide. I cant recall when Dandenong went, but Adelaide was the spritiual home of the Holden Brothers.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3336427)   #107
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Fishermans bend had the foundries and Engine Plants, and the tech centre and R &D centre, plus they had something in another building around the corner in Port Melb.And the proving ground at Lang Lang

Assemblie was at Dandenong and Adelaide. I cant recall when Dandenong went, but Adelaide was the spritiual home of the Holden Brothers.
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, a full-scale car factory was located in Fishermans Bend from 1936. The Dandenong factory production was from 1956 to 1988, with some 'Toyota' Holdens built there until 1996.

Holden has had a huge presence in Victoria over the years.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 25 Nov 2013 at 10:35. Reason: spelling
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3336670)   #108
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, a full-scale car factory was located in Fishermans Bend from 1936. The Dandenong factory production was from 1956 to 1988, with some 'Toyota' Holdens built there until 1996.

Holden has had a huge presence in Victoria over the years.
That did happen, when I arrived there in thelate 70's, Fishermans had the Foundries, evreything that was moulded out of cast iron was done there. Engine and gearbox , other small assy stuff , that was then shipped to the assy plants.
Actual production line for vehicle assembly had long since moved to Dandy and adelaide. I think they also did some minor assy in Bridbane as well.

They had a big presence in Melb during the 50's to the late 80's and in fact in some of the Fishermans bend plants there was gantrys up in the roof areas from the War effort during the 40's
Old 26 Nov 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3336918)   #109
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Interesting read, but unless you can export, or have the component manufacturers get into overseas markets, it's not going to help

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...80424_20131126
Old 1 Dec 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3338863)   #110
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Dont cry wolf to many times, Forked tounge syndrome, should be politicians:

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226772530292
Old 5 Dec 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3340388)   #111
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden to possibly stop Australian Manufacturing

Report Here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-0...016-17/5138942

Wonder if they will still use the commodore in V8SC or will move to the Captiva
Old 5 Dec 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3340393)   #112
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how many seats the Libs will win in SA and Parts of VIC at the next election. They might be cold blooded enough to let GM walk and hope their majority carries them through. It is inevitable that GM and Toyota close as there is no political will to prevent it. The die was set years ago and now we are seeing the end result.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3340504)   #113
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
QANTAS wants govt assistance too..........if they support holden, then why not QANTAS, where does it stop????
Old 5 Dec 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3340569)   #114
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
QANTAS wants govt assistance too..........if they support holden, then why not QANTAS, where does it stop????
It doesn't.

For me I'll be sad if car manufacturing ends in Australia and if the Holden nameplate ends up in name only.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3340575)   #115
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be sad for all the workers and their families, and the support industries, but the rest of it..... stiff sh.. The writing has been on the wall for the last decade or so. The vast majority of Australians have had a gutfull of taxpayer money propping up a failed concept.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3340613)   #116
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I'll be sad for all the workers and their families, and the support industries, but the rest of it..... stiff sh.. The writing has been on the wall for the last decade or so. The vast majority of Australians have had a gutfull of taxpayer money propping up a failed concept.
Or should that post read the vast majority of Queenslanders (who probably think an economy can survive on tourism and mining alone) have had a gutful....
Old 5 Dec 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3340630)   #117
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Or should that post read the vast majority of Queenslanders (who probably think an economy can survive on tourism and mining alone) have had a gutful....
I dont think Australians as a whole think govt assistance is a waste. I believe Australians are sick of over paid, Directors, Boards Chairman, CEO who run these companys inot the ground then cry wolf for money to stay afloat or threaten we will shut down etc,etc.

If GM is serious, then sack over half of the bullshit managers, sack the ones who made bad business decisions, same for FOrd TOyo etc, similar vane to QANTAS, once great now read y for the scrap head due to decisions made in a board room.

No I dont mid Govt assistance to an industry, just get rid of the mamangement who put the company in that position!!!!!!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3340638)   #118
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I dont think Australians as a whole think govt assistance is a waste. I believe Australians are sick of over paid, Directors, Boards Chairman, CEO who run these companys inot the ground then cry wolf for money to stay afloat or threaten we will shut down etc,etc.

If GM is serious, then sack over half of the bullshit managers, sack the ones who made bad business decisions, same for FOrd TOyo etc, similar vane to QANTAS, once great now read y for the scrap head due to decisions made in a board room.

No I dont mid Govt assistance to an industry, just get rid of the mamangement who put the company in that position!!!!!!
I think a lot of Australians are ignorant of benefit of viable government subsidies. That aside though, I don't think the best managers in the world could save the Australia's car industry.

Arguably the best global automotive leader of our time has been Alan Mulally. He has been at Ford for long enough now to have saved production in Australia if it was viable. It's simply not viable against the onslaught of all these new brands from Asia that have splintered the marketplace.

SUVs was, and continues, to be the trend and Ford Australia was quick to respond, but even though the Territory is amongst the segment leaders, volume this simply not sufficient.

The persistently high Australian dollar does not help.

Unfortunately, we all have to accept the bottom line that a car industry is not viable in Australia in this day and age.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 06:30 (Ref:3340702)   #119
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gee, that $2Billion in govt subsidies handed out in the last 12 years was well spent.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3340724)   #120
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it kept people employed directly and indirectly, stimulated the economy and all that for those 12 years.
There were never guarantees that the handouts would keep manufacturing here for ever, certainly not without continual renegotiation.. Each deal had it's own expiry date 3 years down the track or whatever.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3340729)   #121
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Gee, that $2Billion in govt subsidies handed out in the last 12 years was well spent.
The money was to assist production over that period of time, not forever. It directly and indirectly kept tens of thousands of people employed over that period. Money well spent? You bet!

As Tony Abbott says here, since the 1940s public money has been spent on the industry.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C380078C65B
Old 6 Dec 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3341047)   #122
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
Quote:
The money was to assist production over that period of time, not forever. It directly and indirectly kept tens of thousands of people employed over that period. Money well spent? You bet!

As Tony Abbott says here, since the 1940s public money has been spent on the industry.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C380078C65B
Here's a bit of light reading, which for the most part, backs up my theories on this issue. I guess it comes back to each individuals read of the way the industry has been run. Do we continue pouring money into this black hole?
http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/04/04/...bile&wpmp_tp=0
http://www.ipa.org.au/sectors/econom...-of-town/pg/11
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4141710.html
Old 7 Dec 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3341091)   #123
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Here's a bit of light reading, which for the most part, backs up my theories on this issue. I guess it comes back to each individuals read of the way the industry has been run. Do we continue pouring money into this black hole?
http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/04/04/...bile&wpmp_tp=0
http://www.ipa.org.au/sectors/econom...-of-town/pg/11
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4141710.html
Certainly 'glass half empty' views there...
Old 7 Dec 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3341095)   #124
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
Quote:
Certainly 'glass half empty' views there...
Well... I guess we'll find out in due course, won't we!
Old 7 Dec 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3341417)   #125
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
This sums it up, it is reality and no amount of complaining to the govt will change it, either Aussie buy local or its dead .

http://ninemsn.carsales.com.au/news/...r=NH_editorial