Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3400147)   #151
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone believe that there's any weight to the Erebus to Volvo rumours?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3400176)   #152
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
I hope so.........it seems silly for Erebus to be giving Mercedes exposure when Mercedes don't contribute to that exposure.
Old 1 May 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3400217)   #153
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Story Here

It is possible, but the tear up on the development and hardware cost would be immense! Mr Stone is still fandangling their engine development program, which shows no signs of stopping...

...would the team continue that without a plan to continue with the MB brand
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 May 2014, 06:44 (Ref:3400228)   #154
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

It is possible, but the tear up on the development and hardware cost would be immense! Mr Stone is still fandangling their engine development program, which shows no signs of stopping...

...would the team continue that without a plan to continue with the MB brand
Yes, because they're gaining momentum, trying to gain sponsors with strong performances and paying a bucketload of money for their new driver.

They would also be hopeful of a podium at Bathurst.

I know that in 2012 SBR didn't stop development on the old car until just before Bathurst ahead of COTF build.

Also, assuming they're in talks, Erebus would want to be putting on the best showing possible to impress Volvo that they're worthy of their backing. I'm sure they're not the only team interested in being the second factory team.
Old 1 May 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3400366)   #155
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are serious the Erebus to Volvo deal needs to be done soon
Old 1 May 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3400532)   #156
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it doesn't happen. It will be a sad day to lose that fantastic sounding AMG motor from V8 Supercars.
Old 1 May 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3400537)   #157
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Erebus open to switching brands

And so it begins..

The story goes that if/when the AMG isnt renewed, all AMG & MB branding needs to disappear from the car...

WOFTAM?
Old 1 May 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3400546)   #158
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Erebus open to switching brands

And so it begins..

The story goes that if/when the AMG isnt renewed, all AMG & MB branding needs to disappear from the car...

WOFTAM?
Could do something like 888 did when they called the cars Hogsters.

If only Red Ass would step up to the plate
Old 2 May 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3400568)   #159
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I hope so.........it seems silly for Erebus to be giving Mercedes exposure when Mercedes don't contribute to that exposure.
Erebus knew the deal up front, has anything changed? The presumption was that MB would get onto the sponsorship wagon I suppose and it has not happened.
Old 2 May 2014, 06:03 (Ref:3400598)   #160
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Erebus knew the deal up front, has anything changed? The presumption was that MB would get onto the sponsorship wagon I suppose and it has not happened.
Yep. Changes in AMG management - new managers less enthusiastic.

AMG/HWA saw the Erebus program as a profit centre - remember this only got over the line because Betty spends so much money with them. When they took the engine development in-house, there was a much-reduced financial incentive to keep the deal going.

So AMG is making less money from the deal, and so less reason to resist the MBA push to kill the deal.
Old 2 May 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3400600)   #161
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 4 May 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3401734)   #162
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hard to see Holden or Ford competing with This
Old 4 May 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3401749)   #163
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hard to see Holden or Ford competing with This
You need to get on top of your game a bit better, that news is days old. Can you also tell us what the relevancy is to this thread, apart from that carry on.
Old 4 May 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3401769)   #164
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
You need to get on top of your game a bit better, that news is days old. Can you also tell us what the relevancy is to this thread, apart from that carry on.
The linkage is clear... MB is working with providing flights to their customers to supply patrons to the AMG driving experiences... run by Mr Hackett... which Erebus doesnt seem to have an angle to explore, to bring customers/supporters/potential backers to the V8 program...

Its interesting...
Old 5 May 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3402381)   #165
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes should jump onboard with Betty, there DTM program wasn't very good overnight
Old 5 May 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3402386)   #166
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
The linkage is clear... MB is working with providing flights to their customers to supply patrons to the AMG driving experiences... run by Mr Hackett... which Erebus doesnt seem to have an angle to explore, to bring customers/supporters/potential backers to the V8 program...

Its interesting...
No linkage at all IMO. It is a corporate program for owners of MB cars just as Porsche run and a few others. Nothing to do with V8 racing at all. As I said, Peter will be around MB a lot longer than Erebus will be.
Old 5 May 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3402499)   #167
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Mercedes should jump onboard with Betty, there DTM program wasn't very good overnight
Too true.

It was only after they lobbied to have the Ford RS500 banned did they start to win.
Old 6 May 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3402654)   #168
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An example of Mercedes putting more resource into something Motorsport-ish that's not Erebus... More evidence that MB AU really aren't interested in joining V8SC, more reason to wonder why you'd switch to a marque that the evidence would increasingly suggest isn't an arm twist or a little seed capital away from changing their tune....
Old 7 May 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3403543)   #169
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:

Its interesting...
Does Erebus do ride days with the GT's and the V8SC's? Would be hard to compete with that.
Old 8 May 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3403942)   #170
jim199
Rookie

Australia
jim199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crowdfunding now?
http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/com...ecar_v8_email/
Old 9 May 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3404019)   #171
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Another one off for #9 in Perth...

Old 21 May 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3408823)   #172
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Engine Updates On The Way

Is it just me, or is the second year for these new owners always the most difficult... we saw it with Mr Gore, with Team Dynamik...

Hope this one ends on a happier note..
Old 22 May 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3408845)   #173
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really more difficult, or does the novelty of being a team owner wear off and the reality of what it costs to keep it all day to day going kick in? With the recent stories of Betty blowing up to $40 million and now being broke and taking out a loan to buy food and toilet paper, unless Erebus can magically start winning everything in sight and attracting big money sponsors, I'd say they're either doomed to be grid fillers with little to no development because their budget will be all used up on racing and maintenance, or they will go to the wall and be bought out, maybe a fire sale that Penske can jump on?

When she bought out SBR, I honestly thought she's not going to last long, like every other rich person that thinks they can stroll in and buy themselves a Championship and Bathurst, and will end up crawling away after 2-3 years having made a massive $$loss and been mid pack at best. Sad, but true, based on almost every other business person that has tried it. Somehow business people don't understand how motorsport works, you really need to be a "hands on" motorsport person to succeed, not an armchair motorsport person with bulk $$$$.

Having said that, I'll be very happy if she can prove me wrong, but at this moment I'm not holding my breath.
Old 22 May 2014, 02:33 (Ref:3408850)   #174
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Maybe, but this isn't her second year as a team owner. She's been running a GT team for a few years beforehand and largely financed herself anyway so it wasn't a completely new thing.

The only thing that I can see as changing is the amount of money she has available to her, which may have an impact on her motivation. Certainly a V8 team is way more expensive than her GT team - and she bought in at the most expensive time as well with COTF build.

I'm guessing she wasn't expecting all her sponsors to walk away at the same time, so perhaps the commercial side of it is much harder than she expected it to be.
Old 22 May 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3408885)   #175
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes she has been running ( paying ) the GT program for a few years, but that's a completely different kettle of fish. Far fewer rounds, far less competitive ( 1.5 seconds off the pace won't put you dead last on the grid ), the cars don't need constant development chasing hundredths of seconds to remain competitive etc etc. It all sounds nice and rosy to say she's done her time etc in a feeder class blah blah, but I still think she's bitten off far more than she bargained for, and is now suffering because of it. She could have done a lot worse though, and sent Ross Stone etc packing, but keeping them on board has certainly alleviated the pain somewhat. Hell imagine how bad it would have been otherwise……….