Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:28 (Ref:687420)   #1
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
driver faults

I don't expect a huge response to this thread but I would like to air my grivience's about other drivers:

people who approach stationary traffic too fast so in your mirror it looks like they won't stop in time

the same people who then stop less than a cm from your back end

tailgaters

people who don't keep a tight line on roundabouts/corners & drift into your path

people who don't indicate so your left waiting for no reason

people turning left at a junction so only look right then pull out wide into the path on oncoming traffic from the left
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:40 (Ref:687532)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of the above!!
Plus, with my cycling hat on, people who don't give enough space for bikes.
I'm tempted to keep several copies of the Highway Code to throw at offending drivers (and people on bikes (that's not the same as a cyclist ) who jump red lights etc.... )
Old 13 Aug 2003, 21:23 (Ref:687574)   #3
sunflower
Rookie

I forgot those holding mobiles cos most of the time they're not even looking where they're going
Old 13 Aug 2003, 21:29 (Ref:687579)   #4
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Middle lane hoggers when there is absolutely nothing in the left hand lane. Eeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
I really hate tailgaiters as well - although have to confess I do it quite a lot and normally not on purpose - I don't realise I'm doing it. Sorry!!!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 21:56 (Ref:687618)   #5
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with all of the above - especially drivers on mobiles! Grrrrrr

I'd like to add those that don't have any idea of speed changes. These are the people that drive up your bum in a 30 or 40, sometimes they pass you, and then they fail to speed up when you get to a faster d-restricted road - it happens all the time!!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 22:01 (Ref:687626)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got to be people hogging the middle or outside lane when there's absolutely no need or those who undertake and weave through the lanes - I regularly encounter one guy who does that, weaving through all three lanes and the hard shoulder just to try to get there that little bit faster and he doesn't give a damn who he cuts up along the way.
To add to those using mobiles, can we also have those doing make up or having a shave or even reading a book (yep, drive on Britain's motorways everyday and you really do see it all).
Tailgaiters, easy trick, just very quickly put your lights on and off. Amazing the number who think it's your brake lights coming on and back off
Old 14 Aug 2003, 06:10 (Ref:687812)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people who drive in the slow lane.....and drive in the slow lane....AND DRIVE IN THE SLOW LANE!!

if your not going the speed of the traffic in that lane, you should move over, not only is it rude, but its dangerous. Why don't they have lasws against this in the US like they do other place?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:28 (Ref:688070)   #8
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do a lot of towing so I'd like to add to the list the morons that decide your braking zone is a good way to gain a couple of car lengths at an intersection

I've lost track of the number of times I've had to come to a tyre smoking and or destroying stop to avoid these people.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:19 (Ref:688359)   #9
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SUV's, mobile phones, and slow people in the passing lane. I tend to drive a little faster than the average person so everyone else decides it their job to police me. Oh yeah, another peeve, people who box you in. They know you want to get through so they stay level with the guy ahead so there is no way around... I am sure there are more I will add them later...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:50 (Ref:688378)   #10
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with you there about the towing and also the people who think that they are great drivers but arent!!!!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:59 (Ref:688383)   #11
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars driving against red light, cars overtaking the other car stopped in front of pedestrian crossing, drivers crazy enough to drive 100 km/h on the streets of cities, 'Bomber' motorists, whitch think it is funny to drive on the public roads over 150 km/h, front wheel on the air etc

LOOK AT THIS IDIOT!!!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:36 (Ref:688411)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong in that - perfectly safe maneouvre if you ask me!!

Most of the above, though I tend not to let it bother me too much. However...

Sorry 'bottle, but I think you understand the 'category' to which I'm referring: Cyclists should have to have some kind of test and be required to have a driving licence. Then it can be endorsed when they pull the usual stunts like running red lights, riding on the pavement and such. They're only really a danger to themselves, but I can do without their arrogance and downright ignorance. I don't give "enough" space for bikes, because usually they wander around the entire road oblivious to the fact they're holding me up. One day I will collect a cyclist, after which I'll hospitalise him for damaging my car.

People who can't use roundabouts. Either they don't look on entering the roundabout, or they simply can't understand the right of way on a mini-roundabout, or they cut straight across the lanes on a wide roundabout, or they try and pass a truck on the inside of a roundabout.

People who can't understand that a heavier vehicle (car towing trailer/caravan, HGV, bus/coach) takes longer to stop and pull into their braking zone. Don't they realise they've just become a buffer for the vehicle behind?

People who don't check their mirrors before pulling out to overtake a slower vehicle, thus unwittingly pulling straight into the path of a faster bike/car (I've found it amazing how well I can slam on, blast my horn, flash my lights, gesticulate and yell abuse all at the same time... )

Drivers who make me laugh: anyone in a Max Power Corsa/Saxo, 3 series and Z3 BMW (all of them except the latest M3), repmobile Vectra/Mondeo or 4x4 tank (but the 3-series Beemers are the most fun ) who refuses to pull over on a NSL dual carriageway because they think they'll outdrag me!!!!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 19:39 (Ref:688471)   #13
sunflower
Rookie

carrie, how strange because I do that except I actually use my brakes if people are driving too near me - rather than my lights (which I will probs use instead in future as obviosly not dangerous like braking) - it really does work as everyone so far has backed off.

dangerous as undertaking is on a motorway, I've found myself doing it even at speeds below 70mph on clear motorway - shows how slow the middle lane hogger was going!

this isn't a fault but I see absolutely no point in drivers who put their hand inside the steering wheel to turn it
Old 14 Aug 2003, 23:37 (Ref:688655)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Garcon, I quite agree!!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 08:27 (Ref:688794)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon

People who can't use roundabouts.
That'll be the vast majority of the population of Bolton then

I was driving home from the village where my uncle lives yesterday. Just approaching the main road junction going along a country road. Had to get out of the way rather quickly as a Fiesta did a right turn off the main road and the Mondeo behind him decided to overtake the Fiesta going round the corner. So, can we add people who overtake when it's dangerous to do so to the list.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:31 (Ref:688898)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm afraid you'll find they're even worse at roundabouts down here in Cheshire, Carrie My only advice is expect the worst.

We certainly can add those who overtake when it's dangerous to do so. I see it many many times. I learnt my lesson well at 17 - overtaking a car with a junction on the right, car at the junction looked right only and turned left out of the side road straight into my path. I can only imagine Divine Intervention saved me from a rather nasty head-on (no idea how I got thru - I had my eyes closed at the time... ).
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:33 (Ref:688900)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Re: driver faults

Quote:
Originally posted by sunflower
I don't expect a huge response to this thread...

The last time we had a thread on this kind of subject it went on for pages!

Vent your anger here folks! It's safer than road rage!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:32 (Ref:688945)   #18
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Folk who haven't got a clue how they should be indicating on roundabouts. Add to that all the flatcap wearing duffers who cut the corner when driving on the outside lane of roundabouts.

Tailgaters as well.

Also, people who slow to a crawl when turning off a busy road. This seemed to be a particular favourite when I visited the US earlier this year! The big-arsed truck in front would peel off right into a parking lot and then stop leaving it's arse hanging into the road. I am NOT a fecking limbo dancer!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:47 (Ref:688962)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That'll be the vast majority of the population of Bolton then
Well I'm glad I moved away then.
My pet hate at the moment is people who overtake me on dual carriage ways, pull in front of me and then slam their brakes on and go about 10mph below the limit because they have seen a speed camera. Not a wise move as I drive a 32 ton truck and have had a few near misses
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:56 (Ref:688969)   #20
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Front foglamps. WHY don't people realise you are only supposd to use them in fog or falling heavy rain or snow? Saxo VTR drivers are probably the worst offenders. Must admit I get a bit silly sometimes and put my rear fog lamps on when one of these morons starts tailgating me.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:37 (Ref:689002)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think there should be a 'driver refresher' element to the MoT or something. If you can't locate your foglight switch (front AND rear) then your licence should be taken away and your car impounded.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:689121)   #22
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sidelights and front fogs is not a fashion statement - it's a nuisance!! GRR!!!
Also hate boy racers who can put their foot down on the straight bits, but die round corners so you sail up their exhausts
Old 15 Aug 2003, 17:59 (Ref:689238)   #23
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
Also hate boy racers who can put their foot down on the straight bits, but die round corners so you sail up their exhausts
Just like everyone when you drive through the rockies. You practically have to take a racing attack to get by them. They floor it in the straights where the passing lanes are, then slow to half the speed limit in the turns where you can't pass. I've been doing almost 160 km/h passing people sometimes. Kinda scary.

Last edited by evo; 15 Aug 2003 at 18:00.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 18:36 (Ref:689275)   #24
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
see my thread in the parc ferme " mirrors".

I hate bloody tourists who dont even have their mirrors set to see behind them, let alone use the bloody things.

Then the ones who just try to speed up, really annoy me. Stupid cretins who put everyone else at danger as they just dont know the road and think that tehy can go as fast as someone who has used it twice a day for 17 years........

Round abouts, hmm, we only have one at home and everyone uses it as aT junction and go the wrong way round (directly straight across) for through traffic

rant prematurely cut short by rising blood pressure
Old 15 Aug 2003, 22:59 (Ref:689418)   #25
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by davemorganfan
Front foglamps. WHY don't people realise you are only supposd to use them in fog or falling heavy rain or snow? Saxo VTR drivers are probably the worst offenders. Must admit I get a bit silly sometimes and put my rear fog lamps on when one of these morons starts tailgating me.
Tell me about it. That really gets on my nerves. I bought a newer car 2 months ago which just happens to posses front fog lights (no it's not a Saxo, but a Vectra SRi ). I never use them, EXCEPT when some git comes the other way (on country roads) with fogs on and full main beam. Give as good as you get.

The other thing that drives me up the wall is when they use them in built-up areas. WHY???

Another thing is driving behind someone on a country road doing 40mph in a national speed limit and then maintain that speed through a 30mph limit in the next village.

To continue ranting, I spend alot of time on Hayling Island, a popular UK holiday destination for southerners. Every year the place is crawling with families on bike rides. Now I've got nothing against cyclists in general, but there is one gripe that gets me in this scenario. The family is on holiday, they go out on a bike ride. Why do they forget all safety and get the youngest kid (about 5 years old) to ride at the back who is weaving all over the place? It's not a good position to be in while trying to pass in a car.. If anything went awry I'd be the one in court and sued by the parents.

Phew! Glad to get that off my chest!