Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 25 Jun 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1640800)   #1
Joe T
Rookie

Joe T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Selling images

Hi all

Can someone summarise what motorsport pics can be sold (privately as prints, or via stock agencies) from the different tracks and different race series in the UK?

For example, I understand that you cant sell images taken at Mallory Park, nor can you sell World Superbike images.

Many thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1640834)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T
Hi all

Can someone summarise what motorsport pics can be sold (privately as prints, or via stock agencies) from the different tracks and different race series in the UK?

For example, I understand that you cant sell images taken at Mallory Park, nor can you sell World Superbike images.

Many thanks in advance.

Joe
In truth, probably none whatsoever if you read the conditions of your entrance ticket.......
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1640847)   #3
Joe T
Rookie

Joe T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping no-one would say that!

Thanks anyways
Old 25 Jun 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1640863)   #4
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best think to do if you're intent on selling etc, is to ask the permission of the subject of the photos. I.e the teams, drivers and venues.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1644244)   #5
franku
Rookie

franku should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Selling motorsport photos

In Australia, you are able to sell motorsport photos.

One major category has tried to stop people from seeling them(particuarly individuals) but it is a very grey area.

All of the other categories seem very happy for photogrpaher's to do it as it promotes them as well.

Frank
Motorphotography Australia
Old 5 Jul 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1648592)   #6
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not that grey Frank. No one with media accreditation for that category is allowed to sell the images unless given permission by the category owners. Several photographers have lost their accreditation for selling without permission.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:48 (Ref:1652118)   #7
franku
Rookie

franku should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh.. yes, but that is an accreditation issue and is a term and condition on having accreditation. I was talking from a legal perspective. That is part of V8 Supercars trying to prevent anyone from selling them as I said earlier. Legaly my advice is that there is no precedent and it would be unlikely they would succeed in a legal suit - if you have the money behind you to fight that is and they don't send you broke in the process. The legal angle they try to use is "V8 Supercars own the IP contained in the photograph". Other Race Categories seem to be fine in my experience.

The reason that V8 Supercars are trying to prevent it is that apparently they wish to sell any photo's taken by media accredited photographer's through a deal they are possibly doing with getty images.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1652337)   #8
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't surprise me, however I dont have the $$ to fight any legal battle they *may* choose to raise *if* I were to sell the images. I've worked quite hard to gain my accreditations so far and would like to obtain V8 accred as well without doign anything to jeopardise that. Although it's not the be all and end all, and there's ways to gain it without V8SA's direct approval ).
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1653000)   #9
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone think of any other profession which has restrictions on where you can sell or promote your work, or is Photography/Art a special case?