Hydr0x
Rookie

United Kingdom
Little Hereford, UK
Hydr0x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Racer. Where to start.

Hi everyone. Names Lawrence.

http://lawrenceselly.wix.com/sellydesign

I've always been a fan of Racing and Rallying, however my father is a Carpet Fitter (not a mechanic, marshal or race fan himself) none of my friends are into racing unless its infront of a TV whilst Holding an Xbox Controller. I'm just stuck with ambitions of Racing and fast Fords but no one to help and no ideas of where to start.

Now i understand i will need a race licence and appropriate attire (helmet, gloves, boots, overalls, Fireproof undies ect..) and I plan to buy and achieve all this at some point but i don't want to start on this path untill i know there is a light at the end.

I'm just a bit stuck with what to do. I don't really want to race F1 or Karts as they don't seem like cars to me, they are just machines designed to go really fast around a track with no other purpose (you cant take it to the shops) and I really really want to Race fords as I have been a fan since I first set my eyes on a Cosworth (YB) powered Capri when i was 12.

If you check out my Portfolio you can see my previous attempts, and I'm currently looking for a new car as my Orion was recently Stolen and used as a getaway car for a series of Burglaries. (I was planning to turning it into a Street Sleeper with a Cosworth 24v V6 under the bonnet)

Now I know money is a big part of racing, I'm not likely to get a sponsor and unless I win and keep on Winning I'm doubtful to earn any money from the sport. I just really want to get involved in any way i can.

To be quite honest I would be happy being a Wrench Monkey at the Track on Weekends, even an apprentice mechanic would be an amazing experience.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea on where to start. Anyone have any mates that need a monkey Wrench? anyone have a race team that could try me out for a day? Even someone with a Stripped out Fiesta so i could prove myself by setting a decent track time? I just want to take my first steps to becoming a race driver and I need someone to show me where to put my right foot!

=========================

I live near these postcodes: TS1 in the Winter, SY8 in the Summer.
Old 6 May 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3243635)   #2
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lawrence,

I'd advise going to plenty of race meetings to see what goes on, talk to the drivers & helpers, and see what appeals to you. Don't commit to anything until you have had a good look around first.

For budget motorsport, try the CSCC or 750MC. I think there are fast Fords racing with the Classic Touring Car Club too, but TBH I haven't been to one of their meetings so I'm not 100% sure about that.

Also don't rule out Classic Formula Ford: the older cars look good value if you fancy a single seater.

I hope this helps.
Old 6 May 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3243639)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SY8. Shrewsbury?

Get yourself along to Loton Park hill climb and start asking questions there. You're also not too far from Shelsley Walsh or even Prescott. Hillclimbs are a great place to start, they're the last bastion of anything goes mods for road and ace cars, plus the entry outlay is less.
Old 7 May 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3243841)   #4
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both of the above posts are spot on.

I don't know much about hillclimbing but if you are close then get yourself along there. I have only ever heard good things about that branch of the sport.

Talking to people is the key. Both 750MC and CSCC will welcome you like a long lost friend I can assure you. They are totally novice friendly and you will soon meet new friends sharing exactly the ambitions you've described.

If you want to have a crack at tin tops 750 has Stock Hatch, Classic Stock Hatch and the BMW compacts which offer serious value for money. Classic FF1600 (CSCC) and Formula Vee (750 MC) will both offer you single seater experience at probably the best MPH/COST ratio anywhere on 4 wheels.

And you can always rent to start with to get a taster.

Good luck!
Old 7 May 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3243937)   #5
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would agree with the above posts, but add that have the option to either buy (or build) a fast ford of your dreams and then find a club to race it in; or find a club you like first and then sort an appropriate car for that.

Theres plenty of choice of where to race budgetwise, but you will need at least £2k a year in entry fees alone...

At least it sounds like you understand that getting paid to race is restricted to the very elite and even sponsorship is difficult to get unless you have the contacts.
Old 8 May 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3244331)   #6
Hydr0x
Rookie

United Kingdom
Little Hereford, UK
Awe thanks guys. I've had a phone around to the CSCC and 750MC, they have both invited me to the next meeting when i am back home

I have also found that the hillclimbs are running at full throttle this year ^^ so i'm going to go see the Shelsly Walsh and Loton Park events. I Will try and throw my name around as much as possible.

Oh and on the "build the fast ford of your dreams" front. They caught the bugger that nicked my orion We are having trouble linking him to the car as fingerprints are scarce but we have some CCTV and a woman who saw him driving. So hopefully the funds to build that dream ford should be finding their way to me soon.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3278522)   #7
miniracer47
Rookie

England
chester
miniracer47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a racer who is going testing on Wednesday and would like any interested driver to contact him he is currently compeating the mazda mx5s with the brscc and 750 club.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3279760)   #8
Hydr0x
Rookie

United Kingdom
Little Hereford, UK
Just received the email about this thread. Which wednesday? was it the 17th? or is it next wednesday? And i would be extremely interested.

I have signed up for a few karting days with my uncle as he is actually quite interested in getting me into racing. He builds mini mayfairs (hes got 4 now) and wants me to race his best one if we discover some talent within me.

Other than that I've joined a few clubs up north and have a lot of new friends within the modified Jap circuit, couple of ford fans too.

Slowly getting there.

I will be posting a Build log soon for my Fiesta which i have been converting for track use. Its currently my daily driver but come august 15th its having a Puma transplant and a lot more goodies strapped to it... oh and Its Electric Orange! You wont miss me :P
Old 1 Oct 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3311418)   #9
ScoMi
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
ScoMi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're on the subject...

...of getting into motorsport. Hi all, my name's Scott. I work for AUTOSPORT in a variety of capacities - race reporter, news writer, website faff-arounder. This seems like the ideal place to post this, rather than start a new thread (though I may do soon anyway).

I karted for several years (with varying degrees of success) at club and national level. Getting in with the magazine was a way of satisfying my love of racing. Turns out it isn't that easy and weekends spent at Cadwell Park, Silverstone, Snetterton and the like mean I'm more keen than ever to have a crack at car racing.

I've got one or two ideas in the pipeline with other publications about features on getting involved in racing. So a question here: Does anyone know any driver(s) in championships such as the MSV Trackday Trophy or similar series that like to car-share from time-to-time or might be willing to have a chat about something like that?

Have only just joined the forum, looking forward to more fevered debates about this sort of thing.

Scott
Old 1 Oct 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3311476)   #10
Simon Davey
Rookie

Simon Davey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ScoMi.

If you might be interested in cost-effective single seater racing, with possible car sharing, then take a look at Monoposto racing. Most of our championship races are twin headers, with qualification and race on the Saturday and the same again on the Sunday. This means car-sharing is easy as you simply split the weekend and the entry fee between the two drivers. Several people do this at the moment.

There's a wide range of car types eligible to race with us, from Vauxhall Juniors and FF1600s all the way to very quick bike-engined and F3-based cars.

If you would like more info then drop me an email

Simon Davey
Monoposto Racing Club Administrator
admin@monoposto.co.uk
Old 3 Oct 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3312518)   #11
ScoMi
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
ScoMi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Simon, thanks for the reply. You might well be getting an e-mail from me rather soon. Sounds very interesting!