Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:31 (Ref:7808)   #1
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Do we need to set up a Trivia Forum? This 'uns becoming choked with various bits and bobs along with my regular(!) scheme. Soon we won't be able to sift out the Historic stuff.

How do we/ Craig/ all-powerful Administrator set one up?
Old 21 Feb 2000, 16:13 (Ref:7809)   #2
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham, my oppinion is, it's too early. The traffic here is not so heavy. The Trivia-Topics mostly are 'Race History'-related. When you want to split the Trivia from 'Historic Racing', it would be better to think about splitting 'Historic Racing' from 'Racing History' - and this is not, what you want, do you?

And I am not alone with my oppinion. Come on , all out, discuss !

E.T.

[This message has been edited by AUSTRIA (edited 21 February 2000).]
Old 21 Feb 2000, 17:20 (Ref:7810)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmmm,

I would prefer this to be a discussion forum. However we are learning as we go. The problem is the answers don't prompt discussion so maybe we should expand the topics and name them as the subject rather than just making each topic a question.

Graham your trivia quiz is fine. Keep it up.

The others among us would probably find it more satisfying to discuss answers rather than just state "you are wrong" etc. So Austria, TimD, Michael M, Jarama et al. Why not expand the topics as a discussion rather than a "I know somthing you lot don't" quiz?
Old 21 Feb 2000, 19:52 (Ref:7811)   #4
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the trivias really end in an interesting discussion, and of course these are the questions I prefer personally. On the other side the "correct" or "wrong" trivias are better than nothing, and I recommend to leave them in this forum, as otherwise nothing real happens anymore.

The problem with a racing history forum are the missing news. We can discuss yesterday, but not today and of course not tomorrow, so topics always will be very rare. Consequently a real "discussion forum" as mentioned by Peter most probably this never will be. We only can concentrate on reviewing history, and exchange information.

With historic racing this is another thing, but my impression is that only very few active people are in this forum, and also spectators of historic races seem to be rare. However, may be this will change when racing season is opened. On the other side most topics arising from historic racing will be technical or regulatory ones, and consequently would belong to the technical forum.

What about historic rallying? I'm missing this, but I got the impression that this theme not really wanted here!?

So I'm afraid that in case the trivias are also separated in another forum, the available resp. suitable topics here will not be very much, and this otherwise very interesting forum will die a slowly death. I know this from other forums, you check 3 times a day - nothing new, then once per day - no new topics and even no new replies, then only one per week, and finally you drop it from your bookmarks. We should do our best that this will not happen, and one possibility could be to widen the spectrum, instead of creating new forums.
Old 22 Feb 2000, 01:15 (Ref:7812)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm inclined to agree that the trivia should stay here for the time being - albeit this particular thread is working into a nice little discussion under its own steam.

I've been reading ten-tenths since September, posting since November, and I've never seen traffic like this in the Historic Racing forum before. That can only be for the good.

I suspect if we can keep attracting new visitors from the rest of the site, and a percentage of the new members who are appearing with greater and greater frequency have a natural enthusiasm for Historics, then perhaps there will come a time to separate trivia from Historics. But I don't think it's just yet.

One of the problems with an in depth discussion on Historic issues is that it can be terribly esoteric for those looking in. For example, AUSTRIA and I have been sharing our knowledge of Talbot Lago chassis numbers for the last few weeks, but with the best will in the world, this is not the place to share that sort of discussion. It is liable to bore the casual reader witless.

I take Michael's point about the new season, too. Come March 18th, we will be able to start on the racing taking place again, discussing whether red and yellow quite goes on a Mk3 Capri, for example....

And no doubt it won't be long before I'm posting my next rant about the latest bit of dirty driving from Frank Sytner or James Shead, resulting in yet more damage for that poor Lister Jaguar.

I do like AUSTRIA's idea for a trivia to which he doesn't actually know the answer. That is a neat way of encouraging extra dialogue, and one that I will be trying to respond to as often as possible. And that's not to say that I am in any way ignoring questions set by the most excellent Graham, the dude who thought of the trivia idea in the first place.

And I'll remind recent member Bluebottle to visit here as well as the Gravel Trap. He and his good lady wife are my usual accompaniment at Britain's many historic meetings.

Just a few random, disconnected jottings. Basically saying keep up the good work. It's looking healthier here than it has done in ages. And I've just had an idea, Peter, for a good old fashioned hot-tempered debate. I'll post it when I've thought how I want to set the proposition.
Old 22 Feb 2000, 13:12 (Ref:7813)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would like to see some crossover from the F1 and Touring Cars forums where a lot of talk about Senna, and Peter Brock etc would naturally fall into this forum's brief. We'd also get the opinions of those who don't actually visit the F1 and TC forums.

You are right when you suggest that generally Historic racing is less popular, however the success of Coys, Monaco, Spa and Goodwood among others really belies that opinion. As a general statement I would say that Historic racing of all kinds is the most rapidly expanding area of motorsport.

The point about the differing types of rules worldwide is probably another topic for discussion. I have tried that before.

Classic Rallying is welcome here and would keep us going through the winter months. With the Monte in January I would have thought we could dig up the old Citroen, Mini controversey of '65?

Frank Sytner? Why would anybody complain about such an honourable racer?

Anybody going to the Monaco Historic meeting in May?

I thought I might change to yellow and red rather than red and yellow. What do you think Tim?
Old 22 Feb 2000, 13:28 (Ref:7814)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That'll make all the difference, Peter!

Either way, so far your car has escaped the attentions of my camera. I think it's due for some portraits on March 18th.

As for Mr. Sytner? Well, he's a personable chap, but there have been an awful lot of expensive panel beating bills in '50s sports car racing this last couple of years, and he's usually involved to some extent. Ask James Shead, Jeffrey Pattinson, John Harper, Dudley Mason-Styrron, Nick Mason.....
Old 22 Feb 2000, 19:29 (Ref:7815)   #8
Graham
Veteran

What's on March 18? First race, Peter? Where?
Old 23 Feb 2000, 17:40 (Ref:7816)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
What's on March 18? First race, Peter? Where?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh do concentrate Graham bloke...
Old 23 Feb 2000, 18:58 (Ref:7817)   #10
Graham
Veteran

Humour me...
Old 24 Feb 2000, 03:33 (Ref:7818)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Graham, as Peter's keeping schtumm, I will drop in my pennyworth.

My camera and I will be attending the SUNBAC meeting at Silverstone on March 18th, there I hope, to witness for the first time in my life, the red and yellow (or yellow and red) entity that is Peter's Mk3 Capri Post Historic Racer

Full details of the programme have been posted by Peter in the Trackside Forum, topic is self-evident.

And the preparation story is in the Racers Forum, under the topic "ITS ONLY".

Hope this helps.

Tim
Old 24 Feb 2000, 13:08 (Ref:7819)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimD:
My camera and I will be attending the SUNBAC meeting at Silverstone on March 18th, there I hope, to witness for the first time in my life, the red and yellow (or yellow and red) entity that is Peter's Mk3 Capri Post Historic Racer
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahem. Its a GROUP 1 Touring Car. Post Historics are pre '74.

See you there then.

Old 24 Feb 2000, 18:19 (Ref:7820)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I stand corrected.

I jus' like to see 'em race.

Can hardly wait!
Old 24 Feb 2000, 18:25 (Ref:7821)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh no. You mean I've got to race?
Old 24 Feb 2000, 18:27 (Ref:7822)   #15
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, you need to remember to take the beer too...
Old 25 Feb 2000, 04:51 (Ref:7823)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lose the Yellow Peter, red cars go faster!!!
Old 25 Feb 2000, 15:43 (Ref:7824)   #17
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're deviating here and talking about the SUNBAC meeting.
If I get there some might like to view at the grandstand on the outside of Copse.
I have yet to avoid depositing my car deeply in the kitty litter in practice or race (last year on start of last lap).
It is a fearsomely difficult corner in a very fast RX7 with dodgy rear behaviour and even poorer driver!
I'll pay for any photies (TimD).
See I'm being optimistic even before season starts

:-)
Old 25 Feb 2000, 15:58 (Ref:7825)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Get there early because Mr weli's car has four straight corners. Those of us who know the car well know that this is a unique condition and one which may not last long.

Let's all hope he keeps it on the road.

Always remember. Sky's blue tarmac's black and greasy side down.