Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Apr 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3058783)   #1
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vanity plate decision?

Space or no space... that is the question?

OR

... I know I'm becoming obsessed
Old 14 Apr 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3058812)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This might get more responses somewhere other than marshals - road car, I suspect so I'll move it over,
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3060469)   #3
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not really into this sort of thing, but if I was I'd go "F1 GP". The other isn't as definative - could be misread as F1G P
Old 16 Apr 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3060509)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You NEED to go the race if you have that!

I like the gap.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3060602)   #5
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
yeah... if they get approved I'll be sure to show them off in Canada for the GP

luckily it'll be discreet enough as its going on a sedan, not some sports car

just goes to show you though that nobody cares about F1 in the US... I was amazed both were still avaialble
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3060605)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
yeah... if they get approved I'll be sure to show them off in Canada for the GP

luckily it'll be discreet enough as its going on a sedan, not some sports car

just goes to show you though that nobody cares about F1 in the US... I was amazed both were still avaialble
What's "F1"?

I like the space.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3060611)   #7
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
What's "F1"?

I like the space.
I ordered them both, lol

They should be practical... those that don't know, won't care... and those friends from Singapore I'll be picking up at the airport, won't need much other signage to spot their ride to the 2013 New Jersey F1GP
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3060749)   #8
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 GP

Go with the space.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3061685)   #9
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
both have been reserved already... bummer

shame it took a week to find out the status, thought the whole idea of registering online was to check instant availability

anyway, will try one more combo before giving up
Old 11 May 2012, 02:29 (Ref:3072506)   #10
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
F1 GP

Go with the space.
Great success... sort of!

after 3 attempts of getting F1GP, F1_GP, F1SGP... all declined I called NJ motor vehicle services and asked why are my orders being rejected and was explained that any letter followed by a number at the start of a custom plate is reserved for police officers... Great! I was advised against ordering anything ending with a number from 1-20 because those type of plates are reserved as courtesy plates and can only be had with a written letter from a councilman/woman.

So I gave up on numbers and requested: "Fi GP" heh... looks close enough, but the kicker is... my plate will be manufactured in 8 to 10 weeks... oy vey! No chance of rocking them at the Canadian GP
Old 11 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3072560)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
So I gave up on numbers and requested: "Fi GP" heh... looks close enough, but the kicker is... my plate will be manufactured in 8 to 10 weeks... oy vey! No chance of rocking them at the Canadian GP
Why so long? Here I walk in with the registration document to my local car parts store and they make them up on the spot.
Old 11 May 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3072580)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't the case that, in the USA, the actual licence plate is issued by the local equivalent of the DVLA?
I believe that some states have different and individual rules. I know that in Illinois, my uncle simply had his name on his plate (BOB EVANS) and a Jewish friend of his had OY VAY.
When I was around 17 (many years ago!), I had the chance to buy JON 20 (i think - it may have been 20 JON) for £25 from the local scrap dealer ...... but that was more than my car cost then and I couldn't afford it!
It's all a pointless vanity ..... says he who has J19 JGS on his car, which was a £200 'cheapy' from the DVLA when they started selling them direct.
Good luck with getting your plate TrueBlueFlyer
Old 11 May 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3072583)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always wanted to start a site with pictures of people who had done dodgy things to get their UK plate more "vanity", like putting black bolts through letters to do things like l. to make an L and stuff like that. I even bought a domain name for it. pl4tew4nk.com
Old 11 May 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3072584)   #14
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
I always wanted to start a site with pictures of people who had done dodgy things to get their UK plate more "vanity", like putting black bolts through letters to do things like l. to make an L and stuff like that. I even bought a domain name for it. pl4tew4nk.com
I usually carry a camera with me, so let's give that a whirl?
Old 11 May 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3072610)   #15
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I don't own a digital camera, let alone a smart-phone, but here's my local cracker -

M12 VET
M125 VET
M155 VET

All the same family, who I imagine are veterinarians by profession.The 12 and 125 have been "twisted" to look like MR and MRS - pathetic.

The local fuzz in Ulster don't seem to be so vigilant as the mainland counterparts, so dodgy "altered" Britich plates are ten-a-penny here.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3072613)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
-

The local fuzz in Ulster don't seem to be so vigilant as the mainland counterparts, so dodgy "altered" Britich plates are ten-a-penny here.
Perhaps they have something better to do but, as I detect that you don't approve, you may not agree?
Old 11 May 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3072620)   #17
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Perhaps they have something better to do but, as I detect that you don't approve, you may not agree?
Au contraire, Rodney. There is the small matter of counter-terrorism.

I'm just saying that there are enough in my small town to fill the proposed thread for days to some. I personally can't see the point in purchasing the rights to a number, knowing in advance that you're going to have to break the law to get it to fit your requirements.That's "malice aforethought".

I'm not a vindictive man, butI am mildly amused when I spot that one of the perpetrators has been "nicked". But what would life be without differences of opinion?
Old 11 May 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3072625)   #18
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Fair point and well made. Although I've visited Northern Ireland, I realise that counter terrorism is still a situation that I can't fully appreciate, not having lived with it, as you have.
In the 'soft SE England' we're perhaps lucky that our police have more time for such things, although I still think that even Surrey/Thames Valley Police should have higher priorities.
Anyway, we digress and I like having a vanity plate - shallow as that may be!
Old 11 May 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3072630)   #19
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
If I ever moved to the UK I'd probably get a vanity plate for the Audi but not for the Megane.

One reg I have in mind is still available and around the £1300 price.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3072638)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
If I ever moved to the UK I'd probably get a vanity plate for the Audi but not for the Megane.

Are you going to reveal all or not, for fear of driving the price up?
Old 11 May 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3072645)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The DVLA once emailed me offering F4LCE for £399 but as I don't really want to advertise myself I didn't bother. I then got an email from a dealer a few weeks later offering me the same plate for £999, I went to the DVLA site and the price had indeed risen to that. I think the last time I checked it was something like £700 but a dealer only wanted £600, do they get a discount off the DVLA?
Edited, just checked again and It's £1020.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3072649)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Quote:
Are you going to reveal all or not, for fear of driving the price up?
Well as I'm not likely to move to the UK in the near future:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mycar.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	36970
Old 11 May 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3072650)   #23
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Very appropriate!!!!!
Old 11 May 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3072652)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The DVLA once emailed me offering F4LCE for £399 but as I don't really want to advertise myself I didn't bother. I then got an email from a dealer a few weeks later offering me the same plate for £999, I went to the DVLA site and the price had indeed risen to that. I think the last time I checked it was something like £700 but a dealer only wanted £600, do they get a discount off the DVLA?
Edited, just checked again and It's £1020.
Not really YOU Tim ........ but I could see it on Uncle Eric's car?
Old 11 May 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3072680)   #25
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Fair point and well made. Although I've visited Northern Ireland, I realise that counter terrorism is still a situation that I can't fully appreciate, not having lived with it, as you have.
In the 'soft SE England' we're perhaps lucky that our police have more time for such things, although I still think that even Surrey/Thames Valley Police should have higher priorities.
Anyway, we digress and I like having a vanity plate - shallow as that may be!
I may not have made my point properly. I have nothing against vanity plates at all - I had one once, just my initials, but the car was stolen in a "creeper" burglary, and the rigmarole to retain the number for my next car was not worth the effort.

I just have a bugbear with people who change them in appearance or sequence just to suit themselves. It's only a petty crime (and so were some of Tom's records - groan) but it's deliberate and shows (IMO) a dismissive attitude to the law. We have a plethora here of "German" and "French" plates for those with suitable cars - I just don't get it, since some of the German cars were probably made in Austria, and anyway are registered in the UK.

It's not illegal to make the plates, just to display them whilst on the road.As I understand it, the law is changing shortly anyway concerning the appearance of plates - maybe a forum-member can let us know what's happening.Sorry if I've misunderstood the intention of this new thread-approach; I sort of thought that you wanted to point out where some folks were going wrong.

I could go on for hours if you want....Like the local XK8 owner who bought a plate K8 xxx and then had a huge X printed as a sort of frame round the whole plate so that it looked like XK8 - he got caught! And the young chav with a Civic whose name must be Andy, who mis-spaced his plate:
S41
4NDY.
Now that's sad!