Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Aug 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3294834)   #1
AlexBall
Rookie

AlexBall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How should my boots fit?

Hey all,

I'm a newbie around here, and a newbie to circuit racing having only decided very recently that it's time to give it a go instead of just saying I'd love to!

Anyway, I hope I can steal some advice, if possible.

I ordered a pair of race boots online (Puma Future Cat's, in size 9) and they felt a bit tight around the toes, and a bit tight overall really, so I then asked the retailer to send me a pair of 9.5's so I could see if it was any better.

I received a pair of 10.5's instead, and while they fit slightly 'nicer' over the whole feet, my toes now have about 1cm in front of them of empty boot.

So, before I change again - what should they feel like? I'm actually wondering if the first pair might be better, since they're not designed for walking anyway?

Crikey. I started rambling there, eh.

Cheers!
Al
Old 27 Aug 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3294866)   #2
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like a glove!

In all seriousness though, race boots should be close fitting without being too tight/uncomfortable. Just like any other shoes, really.

The 9s sound too tight on you, the last thing you want are your feet getting uncomfortable. Remember, when they get hot, your feet swell up too. I'd prefer to keep the blood pumping to my extremities.

Conversely, the 10.5s sound too big on the toes. Depending on what you're planning on racing, shoes that are too big could catch in the pedal box. I wear 9.5s (Euro 44) and I can sometimes get this in my Formula Ford. You also don't really want 1cm of empty space at the top of your boot.

If they do a 9.5, it sounds like it will be perfect.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3294870)   #3
AlexBall
Rookie

Thanks. I thought that is what I might hear.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3294953)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once you've been around the paddock a bit, you will know how much walking you have to do. Race office, signing-on and drivers' briefings are always as far apart as possible!
Agree with barnettracing. And you asked for 9.5, get then to send you some!

John
Old 28 Aug 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3295029)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
They should "fit like a glove" as explained above.

Only wear your race boots when you are actually driving or about to drive.

Runners are perfectly good for "running" around the paddock!
Old 28 Aug 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3295063)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, they should fit "just right". It may be that the retailer thought it had sent you US 10.5 which is UK9.5.

Boots are different for different jobs. Puma are narrow-ish with a narrow but solid sole platform. Sparco tend to be a size or so smaller than you think, and Sabelt tend to have a slightly thicker sole without losing flexibility. They are the ones I'd recommend if you're a speed eventer or rallyist and don't get chance to take them off between drives.

We often get people asking for boots too small so they can cram their feet into small pedal boxes, but I really can't advise that! There comes a stage when you have to accept you're not a teenager any more and need to select appropriate racing cars

Congratulations on taking the plunge BTW and welcome to the best money pit you'll ever find! Just remember that there's no such thing as cheap motor racing and you won't go far wrong
Old 28 Aug 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3295118)   #7
AlexBall
Rookie

Thanks guys. I ordered a pair of 9.5's myself earlier from elsewhere, as I am super impatient.

Thanks for the warm welcome, too!
Old 28 Aug 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3295263)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard Alex,just remember that there is little fun in getting through,say,around fifty minutes of an hours race when your feet are killing you!
The last ten minutes will not be fully focused on the race. Have fun with your new pastime,and dont forget to invite the Bank Manager along to at least one race.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3296106)   #9
AlexBall
Rookie

Quick update for thread completion - got a pair of 44's and they fit perfectly.

Thanks
Old 4 Sep 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3298696)   #10
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
while we're on race wear... how should a suit fit? should it be realy snug, or should it be a tad loose and comfy?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3298793)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tad loose and comfy. That traps an extra layer of air inside, and gives you extra heat protection. Skin tight = more chance of burns.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3298982)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
was reading about this in an old Motor Sport recently. Apparently Mark Webber's is skin tight, but Alain Prost used to have his arse hanging around the back of his knees...
Old 5 Sep 2013, 02:26 (Ref:3299184)   #13
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i prefer my suits to be a tas loose as well... but skin tight suits looks really good...
Old 5 Sep 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3299386)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
i prefer my suits to be a tas loose as well... but skin tight suits looks really good...
As you get older you may revise the latter opinion.....
Old 7 Sep 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3300226)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
was reading about this in an old Motor Sport recently. Apparently Mark Webber's is skin tight, but Alain Prost used to have his arse hanging around the back of his knees...
The Villeneuve grunge look is far better from a safety POV.