Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1471964)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2006 Line-up slots into place

Renault: Alonso, Fisichella T: Kovalianen
McLaren: Raikkonen, Montoya T: Wurz, de la Rosa
Ferrari: M Schumacher, Massa T: Badoer, Gene
Toyota: R Schumacher, Trulli T: Zonta, Panis
Williams: Webber, Rosberg T: TBA (Kiesa or Karthikeyan)
Honda: Button, Barrichello T: TBA
Red Bull: Coulthard, Klien T: Doornbos
BMW Sauber: Heidfeld, TBA (Villeneuve) T: TBA
Midland: Albers, Monteiro T: Pastorelli
Toro Rosso: Speed, Liuzzi T: Jani
Aguri: (Sato, Davidson)

Pretty much all in place now

Realistically only the test seats at BMW and Honda available
Old 28 Nov 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1471998)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow I still have the feeling that BMW will replace Villeneuve.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1472007)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, it's all slotting together now.

My feeling on some of the TBA's:

Williams - Karthikeyan, SFW likes someone with a press on style, he is also heavily backed and will give the team a commercial entrance into one of the world's fastest growing economies.

BMW - Wheldon has now commited to Chip Gannassi in the IRL, so that counts him out for the test role. I think BMW will stick with JV (don't take this the wrong way JV fans - but there is a lack of a suitable alternative). Bourdais has been talking to BMW so it maybe that they offer him the test seat knowing he is a racer who can step up to the plate should either driver be indisposed. They may give Vettel or some of their other young guns a run in the test car.

Honda - depends on the Aguri situation - but if they run I would expect Adam Carroll to get the test role, with maybe Rossiter and Dirani getting some seat time as well.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1472029)   #4
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Doornbos told the media he has a contract for a test seat at a top team. Maybe Williams?
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1472034)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Doornbos told the media he has a contract for a test seat at a top team. Maybe Williams?

No, it's Red Bull.

Definitely.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1472041)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
No, it's Red Bull.

Definitely.
Yes, I agree. But I wouldn't call that a top team and I think it won't provide him a race seat in the near future. Besides, I don't think he's talented enought. But that's my personal opinion.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1472053)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So you agree that KB's right, and thus that you're wrong?

I think Doornbos to Red Bull is now official - and they could easily be a top team by the end of the year, once Adrian Newey's updates come into effect. Klien shone for much of last year as well, so the team will be in safe hands once Coulthard retires (which may still be a few years away). On the basis of the latter part of last season, and their relative F3000 results, Doornbos is the more capable of the two current Dutch drivers, and he certainly has a better reputation as a person than Albers.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1472099)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I'm feeling a bit grumpy I thought I'd come look in this thread and then have a moan about the lack of promising F1 drivers and progression through the ranks.

But sadly then I saw the actual list of drivers and there are plenty of new boys in there who may well have the potential to shake things up a little.

Yes, I would like to see at least 3 more teams, but that not going to happen so I thought I'd at least see what talent there is kicking around and I'm pleased to say there seems to be a lot of talent and less drivers who don't seem to be up to the standard.

Renault: Too soon for Kovalianen to have a race seat perhaps, but will be anxious to step up in 07
McLaren: No suprises here. Would love to see some new names as testers (Hamilton?) but that's not the style of the ever conservative Dennis is it
Ferrari: My thoughts on Massa are in another thread and I'm highly dubious about the ability of Gene. Badoer is a safe rather than a quick choice. Would be nice to see a younger group of testers but I guess Ferrari to results now and not promises of them in future.
Toyota: no change and no suprises. Would be nice to see some consistency from Ralf, but being free from injuries would help.
Williams: Big break for Nico and a resulting huge test for Webber. Could be his make or break year. Shame to see a great team relying on paying test drivers rather than hiring someone because they're quick.
Honda: Definately a make or break year for both drivers. Will be interesting who they might sign as a tester. Matsuura maybe? Possibly Adam Carroll and would be a great move for both. Carroll might be on a hiding to nothing in GP2 so a Friday role might be great for him.
Red Bull: I'm highly unconvinced about Klein's speed, but I guess being Austrian can be very profitable at times. Doornbos hasnt shown me much yet either, but deserves seat more than Albers does.
BMW Sauber: Great move for Heidfeld, but who will want to join him. Lots of unknowns here. I'll assume JV will stay on. Would be good to see the likes of Bourdais in contention but I would be suprised if he moved this year.
Midland: Monteiro impressed me a great deal last year. Don't really know as much as I should about Pasterelli so looking forward to seeing more.
Toro Rosso: All rookie line up - well kind of, the handful of GPs Liuzzi had dont count for much. Not sure what we'll learn from either of these two though. Liuzzi seems quick but dont really have a lot to go on. Speed was quick, but suprisingly slow in A1GP. Hope his health improves in good time.
Aguri: I just hope they make the grid. Shame to see that Sato just HAS to be put into F1 but he's not as bad as some people make out. Then again, he's not as good as the Japanese pretend he is either. Davidson could show him up and I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for him.

All in all I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of the driver pool in 2006. I just hope the racing can live up to it!

Last edited by Mystery; 28 Nov 2005 at 12:18. Reason: Correcting mumbling about Sato
Old 28 Nov 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1472108)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of all the teams, I'm mystified why Ferrari have not been trawling the paddocks signing up young drivers over the fast few years, they seemingly have no driver development program in place. By now they could have had 2 or 3 drivers on programs.

Running journeyman like Gene and Badoer in testing may suit a purpose, but it's left Ferrari having to buy their future driving talent instead of developing it cheaply in house (Massa aside) - I would that thought that putting say Piquet jnr on the test team would be a good start.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1472194)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI, Jacques is not testing this week at Montmeló, but no one else than Heidfeld is, so the BMW picture isn't clear yet.

Priaulx apparently will test tomorrow for Williams alongside Rosberg. Looks like the decision between Karthikeyan or Kiesa isn't clear yet.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1472201)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised at Mystery's negativity about Klien - he was competitive with Coulthard several times lat season, especially in qualifying. As Red Bull are Austrian and already ahve huge sales and marketing there, I doubt an Austrian driver is as big a deal as an American, for example - that's a market the brand wishes to break into. All in all I agree with your assessment though - the 2006 grid should be the best in years, with some extremely promising drivers in contention, and even more who could be there in 2007.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1472269)   #12
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Williams: Big break for Nico and a resulting huge test for Webber. Could be his make or break year. Shame to see a great team relying on paying test drivers rather than hiring someone because they're quick.
Well, Kiesa was faster than Mark and Nico in Williams simulator and Karthikeyan isn't slow either.

I doubt Williams will sell out just because BMW left, they don't have a (resent) history of hirering drivers based on their sponsors.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1472277)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Old 28 Nov 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1472278)   #14
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkh
I doubt Williams will sell out just because BMW left, they don't have a (resent) history of hirering drivers based on their sponsors.
I thought I had read somewhere that Williams were openly selling their Friday drive slot, but to be fair the report might have been wrong, and therefore so could I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm surprised at Mystery's negativity about Klien - he was competitive with Coulthard several times lat season, especially in qualifying.
He just doesnt float my boat I guess. There are certainly several guys less deserving of being on the grid than him. Could be it depends on your opinion of Coulthard, and I have never ever rated him as being among the very best. Pretty close certainly but not quite there - I always had the impression when he was much younger (pre F1) he was never anywhere near as quick as Allan McNish and that impression has stuck with me ever since and therefore tarnishes my view of any driver being measured against him.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1472585)   #15
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Nice photoshop job, K-b!!

How is this scenario...

Jani and Speed drive for STR, while D. Mateschitz (spelling) shoehorn's Liuzzi into BMW, with Coulthard/Klien/Doornbos in RBR...

It could happen.

And the fact Williams are testing Priaulx makes me think he could be there Third Driver.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1472665)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
Nice photoshop job, K-b!!

How is this scenario...

Jani and Speed drive for STR, while D. Mateschitz (spelling) shoehorn's Liuzzi into BMW, with Coulthard/Klien/Doornbos in RBR...

It could happen.

And the fact Williams are testing Priaulx makes me think he could be there Third Driver.

It's a real pic - from the Barcelona pitlane.

Bob was there himself, in Red Bull clothing.

I don't see Liuzzi being farmed out.

Priaulx may do tests with Williams but he won't be the full time third driver, he's said that himself.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1472704)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Answer to everything, huh K-b?
Old 29 Nov 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1472709)   #18
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be released today from Red Bull racing that Robert will be the only test and reserve driver for the team for 2006 F1 season.
Will begin testing today in Barcellona and then again Thursday.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1472927)   #19
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Priaulx abandon his WTCC effort (with BMW of all people) for the donkey work at Williams? Everyone said Wheldon would, and he's decided to stick with wheel-to-wheel 220mph races. Some of you have a shameful view of the value of other championships - F1 isn't the be-all and end-all.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1472958)   #20
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Why would Priaulx abandon his WTCC effort (with BMW of all people) for the donkey work at Williams? Everyone said Wheldon would, and he's decided to stick with wheel-to-wheel 220mph races. Some of you have a shameful view of the value of other championships - F1 isn't the be-all and end-all.
Who is saying it is?

As far as I know AP has received nothing but plaudits for winning the WTCC, which is after all the pinnacle of touring car racing. Andy himself has been very realisitic about his F1 ambitions and stated that he wouldn't put his paid BMW touring car career at risk in order to be 3rd driver at Williams - which he says is a role requiring the driver to bring funds to the team.

However, there is no harm in keeping your hand in and say for example he wins the WTCC again, he will presumably look at other options, maybe Le Mans - who know's, maybe BMW will offer him some F1 seat time.

I think Andy is relationship building with F1 (if you like) and getting some more km under his belt, I don't think he's about to turn his back on his touring car contract and I haven't heard anyone say he will or is even considering it.

Equally, of course Dan Wheldon is a worthy IRL champion and joins the ranks of the few to win the title and the Indy 500. To turn it around why would he turn his back on a lucrative career in the US in race winning machinery to be 3rd driver in a team in re-build mode. Better for him to wait, win the IRL again, increase his stock further and then look at F1 again.

Back to the topic
Old 29 Nov 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1473483)   #21
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a bit of speculation on grandprix.com that if Paffett steps up with McLaren to test more regularly, McLaren will let one of the current test drivers, De La Rosa and Wurz, go, so grandprix.com links Wurz to BMW-Sauber.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1473489)   #22
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of turning this into another JV-dominated thread (I don't want to), grandprix.com's speculation appears to be bolstered by an article appearing in Die Welt.

www.welt.de/data/2005/11/29/810223.html

For those that don't speak German, do what I did and put the URL into Babelfish, and you'll get a rough and ready translation. It appears that Mario Thiessen is keen to put Wurz into the remaining BMW seat but JV's contract with Sauber remains a stumbling block.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1473520)   #23
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
There's a bit of speculation on grandprix.com that if Paffett steps up with McLaren to test more regularly, McLaren will let one of the current test drivers, De La Rosa and Wurz, go, so grandprix.com links Wurz to BMW-Sauber.
Rather than predicting what will happen, that grandprix.com article seems to be pre-empting the inevitable speculation about Mac's testers and BMW's drivers. I suspect JV will stay for one more year with BMW (cheaper to keep him on than to pay him off, and he's experienced) than to replace him. Plus Paffett has a solid DTM contract that would keep him too busy to F1 test regularly surely?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1473527)   #24
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
At the risk of turning this into another JV-dominated thread (I don't want to), grandprix.com's speculation appears to be bolstered by an article appearing in Die Welt.

www.welt.de/data/2005/11/29/810223.html

For those that don't speak German, do what I did and put the URL into Babelfish, and you'll get a rough and ready translation. It appears that Mario Thiessen is keen to put Wurz into the remaining BMW seat but JV's contract with Sauber remains a stumbling block.
This is scary and there are more echoes of that in the German press. Mercedes' N. Haug is reported as having said that they were prepared to free Wurz if need be. There are also explanations as to what the problem actually is with JV's contract... I just wish Cpt Chaos and QS read it someday as they wrote it was BS when I put a similar explanation to this forum.