Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 31 May 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1925372)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shelsley 2/3 June

Thinking of starting a small competition. Assuming dry conditions and taking into account the new surface, at the end of Sunday:

1) What do we reckon the outright record will be?
2) How many class records will fall?
3) What will be the fastest Ess Approach speed (and how far will the marshals move back as a result!)?
4) Who will break a record by the greatest percentage of the original time?

The word 'small' in the first sentence refers of course to the prize for the most correct answers. You will be granted two days of smugness to take place at an event of your choice!
Old 31 May 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1925381)   #2
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Thinking of starting a small competition. Assuming dry conditions and taking into account the new surface, at the end of Sunday:

3) What will be the fastest Ess Approach speed (and how far will the marshals move back as a result!)?

The word 'small' in the first sentence refers of course to the prize for the most correct answers. You will be granted two days of smugness to take place at an event of your choice!
1. Same as before
2. None
3. Too Fast in the Wet
4. No one

As you can see.........i'm ever the optimist .

I would prefer a completely dry event as its my first time racing at Shelsley, but the met office says i have lucked out on Sunday.
Old 31 May 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1925382)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Local forecasts are for showers, which means dry-ish spells in between. If you get one of those you could win?
Old 31 May 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1925385)   #4
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Quote:
Local forecasts are for showers, which means dry-ish spells in between. If you get one of those you could win?
hmmmmmmmmmm i would need a rather huge slice of luck for that........and judging by Harewood luck aint on my side !
Old 31 May 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1925405)   #5
xtealadyx
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lichfield
xtealadyx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
webbo
think positive!!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1925406)   #6
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtealadyx
webbo
think positive!!!!!!!!
Mind you if i have my Trolly Dolly assisting.........then who knows !
Old 31 May 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1925410)   #7
xtealadyx
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lichfield
xtealadyx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get it right webbo, its battery ***** ....................... and she always brings good luck to you!!! and yes she'll be there!!!!!
Old 31 May 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1925438)   #8
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtealadyx
get it right webbo, its battery ***** ....................... and she always brings good luck to you!!! and yes she'll be there!!!!!
Old 31 May 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1925591)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1....record will be the same as it is now

2....I reckon 3

3....135 and they wont even flinch

Old 1 Jun 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1925791)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Assuming dry (big if, that one).

1) 23.6
2) I'll go 5. I reckon LoCaterFields , unlimited sports, the white-car class , 2ltr and unlimited single-seaters
3) I'd have said 135 too, so agreed. Of course, an indicated 122ish was converting into around 141 since the speed trap is no longer the fastest spot.
4) Nic Mann (is he entered?). Can you imagine what that car could do when offerred grippy tarmac.

If wet, all the above null and void, meeting to be held indoors.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 08:10 (Ref:1925989)   #11
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best Ess Approach Speed last August was 136. AFAIK the speed trap has never been at the fastest spot.

Paul
Old 1 Jun 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1926002)   #12
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
The best Ess Approach Speed last August was 136. AFAIK the speed trap has never been at the fastest spot.

Paul

We've been saying for years its in the wrong place..

Do you think that now the bump at Ess approach has gone then drivers may be lifting a little earlier for Bottom Ess as they dont need to feather the throttle going over the bump ?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1926115)   #13
Paul Ranson
Racer

There's never been a 'need' to feather over the bump, whether the new surface will mean the average approach speed to Bottom Ess rises remains to be seen...

It's all down to the speed at the previous corner. If you leave Crossing at 100mph then you're doing 130ish at the kink and 140ish into the Esses. Give or take. I don't see that changing. If the kink is slightly safer then that's obviously a good thing.

Paul
Old 1 Jun 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1926165)   #14
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
There's never been a 'need' to feather over the bump, whether the new surface will mean the average approach speed to Bottom Ess rises remains to be seen...

It's all down to the speed at the previous corner. If you leave Crossing at 100mph then you're doing 130ish at the kink and 140ish into the Esses. Give or take. I don't see that changing. If the kink is slightly safer then that's obviously a good thing.

Paul

Its always sounded like there is a definate feather on the throttle from where we sit in the rescue unit at Kennels...
Thanks for clarifying Paul..
Old 1 Jun 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1926201)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
That is interesting, because I've been thinking that the bump had an affect on speed to Bottom Ess - perhaps it does for some.

I still find 100mph in Crossing hard to comprehend, and if more grip is being offerred there...

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1926266)   #16
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:

I'm looking forward to this.

I think I am
Old 1 Jun 2007, 17:21 (Ref:1926407)   #17
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
I think I am

Don't think i am!!!!

Busy weekend?
Old 3 Jun 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1927938)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Busy weekend?
Certainly was. I spent more time at the wheel than the competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbo
i would need a rather huge slice of luck for that........and judging by Harewood luck aint on my side !
Apparently not. It's a gorgeous car and beutifully turned out. I sincerely hope that damage was light. It looked it on the surface, but I'm no expert. A pity, but your composure and sense of humour did you credit. Better luck next time.

So the competition results:

22.83. Gulp.

If I've got them all:
Modified prod sports, 1.4-2.0, Ash Mason, 30.44
Mod prod sports >2.0, Roger Banks, 29.16 (previously broken by Roy Standley also.)
Ferraris, David Tomlin, 34.35
Closed car outright, Mike Endean 28.06
Racing cars 0.6-1.1, George Brown, 26.83
Racing cars 1.1-1.6, Chris Pickering, 26.08
Racing cars 1.6-2.0, Tom New, 25.39 (previously broken by Paul Haimes)
Racing cars >2.0, Martin Groves, 23.25 (previously broken by Scott Moran both times, pipped by Martin both times.
Classic Saloon & Sports pre 1972, Kelvin Lee, 32.04
Outright record, Scott Moran, 22.83, previously beaten by Martin Groves. In actual fact, I think that both Scott and Martin broke the record on every runs.
I think I've missed one - one of the Lotus class, Chris Beardsmore possibly?

Roughly 10 is the winning number, but I'm prepared to be corrected on that. An extraodinary day.

Couldn't see the clock, but I think I heard 140mph from Grovesy? Certainly there was a 137. Of course that's speed trap, I'd be interested to know what the actual real telemetry speed was.

Roger Banks, Audi S4 (and lovely thing it is too) reduced the record by 6.47%, just over 2 seconds off the mark at the start of the day.

Well done to everyone who made the day so exciting, with many personal bests. I hope that the several who suffered ill-fortune have no lasting injury and are able to refettle their vehicles soon.

Finally, huge thanks to the marshalling team who had to forego a lunch break. Fortunately the numbers attending meant that everyone should have had a stand-down. Your excellent work all week-end was very much appreciated.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1927949)   #19
Paul Ranson
Racer

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what the actual real telemetry speed was.
A mere 142.7, but there is evidence of a throttle flinch.

Paul
Old 3 Jun 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1927951)   #20
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Can i say a big thankyou to the marshalls, rescue and medics for assisisting in my extraction, due to a spot of poor parking on my part.

Had my mind on other things (like had i scratched my new paint job on the helmet) so didn't thank you chaps at the time.

The car isn't too bad, Flymo's frt wing is in about 4 bits, wants a new wishbone, new rear wheel, new rear wing stay and some minor repairs to the rear wing. Its safe to say that the newness has defo worn off now !

We are gonna try and get it sorted for Loton, but its gonna be tight !

Once again, thanks chaps n chapess's

Webbo
Old 3 Jun 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1927962)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
It's always a pleasure to help, but a sad to have to. Very pleased that it's no worse than it looked, then. Qute a few of the guys and gals will be at Loton, so if you make it, just give them a special wave on the way down.

Quote:
A mere 142.7, but there is evidence of a throttle flinch.

Paul
There was evidence of a lot of other flinching too, most of it not within the car! Well done yourself, Paul. That was a spectacular PB and a fantastic run.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1928176)   #22
Tyke
Rookie

Tyke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Woolley
You forgot Sue Young's new Ladies Record - absolutely over the moon at doing a 24 second run - and it must have frightened Del who did his first 23.
Thanks to all the marshals who missed their lunch break for us and had a very busy day.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1928211)   #23
Kitten Kat
Rookie

Kitten Kat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for a great day yesterday
Old 4 Jun 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1928219)   #24
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you to everyone for this weekend, had a very fun and 'eventful' two days. I think in toital Chris we counted 19 records broken altogether but obviously some in the same class and by the same people. I am looking forward to Loton so shall see you there.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1928227)   #25
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the sound of it yesterday was a great day, congratulaion to all the record breakers. I hope when the British championship next comes to Shelsley in August there will be even more records broken.

[QUOTE=Woolley] Outright record, Scott Moran, 22.83,[QUOTE]

Just been doing some mathematics (which I hope is right) and worked out that the average speed for the out right record is now 89.595mph!

Also looking on the top12runoff website one record you may have missed off Chris (unless my eyes deceive me) was a new Ladies record for Sue Young at 24.73.