Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3766400)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 42,838
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Porsche To Buy Red Bull Racing??

The concept seems sound.. some of the details perhaps not..

Potsie makes a comeback to F1 proper with his old team?
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
C.D. Bales (Roxanne): "Are we having fun yet?"
Harvey Specter: Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.
Anyone can be a lost Picasso....
Quote
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3766473)   #62
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,230
S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With McLaren now also getting Renault, I wouldn't rule it out
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3768510)   #63
chunder
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
England
Stevenage
Posts: 7,804
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is not likely.

My feeling is either a AMR funded Prodrive effort, unlikely

Or a Aston branded Merc, seeing as they now provide AM engines for some models.
chunder is offline  
__________________
This used to be such a vibrant place. Unless you are Oz or like 24h races whats the point now?
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 02:01 (Ref:3768676)   #64
Articus
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,287
Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes will not be supplying engines to Red Bull ever! Mercedes is happy to supply Force India and Williams which are second tier teams which pose no threat.
Articus is offline  
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3768729)   #65
coppice
Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Posts: 158
coppice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't get over excited as the rules are so prescriptive that essentially the same engine is being made by all F1 suppliers. Yes , Honda didn't read the instructions properly but there is little room for genuine innovation. And if we are going to be dropping some of the heavy , expensive and complex energy recovery nonsense we should have a more laissez faire approach - so if Porsche want to do a Flat 4 1.6 turbo and Merc a V8 one they should be allowed to do so.
coppice is offline  
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3768853)   #66
hondafan37
Veteran
 
hondafan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Posts: 1,296
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I can't get over excited as the rules are so prescriptive that essentially the same engine is being made by all F1 suppliers. Yes , Honda didn't read the instructions properly but there is little room for genuine innovation. And if we are going to be dropping some of the heavy , expensive and complex energy recovery nonsense we should have a more laissez faire approach - so if Porsche want to do a Flat 4 1.6 turbo and Merc a V8 one they should be allowed to do so.
I think like you, a more free regulation would be better.
Even today with a freer regulation we could have the Porsche V4 of LMP1 in the McLaren or the Red Bull.
hondafan37 is online now  
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3768871)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,161
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I can't get over excited as the rules are so prescriptive that essentially the same engine is being made by all F1 suppliers. Yes , Honda didn't read the instructions properly but there is little room for genuine innovation. And if we are going to be dropping some of the heavy , expensive and complex energy recovery nonsense we should have a more laissez faire approach - so if Porsche want to do a Flat 4 1.6 turbo and Merc a V8 one they should be allowed to do so.
Long gone are the days when engines had different configurations. It woukd be great if they did but I don't see it ever happening again. The argument for having a 'spec' engine is to keep costs down.
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3768892)   #68
hondafan37
Veteran
 
hondafan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Posts: 1,296
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Long gone are the days when engines had different configurations. It woukd be great if they did but I don't see it ever happening again. The argument for having a 'spec' engine is to keep costs down.
And we all know that this is not true. Rules are more and more limitid over the time, but budgets are getting higher every year.
This is happening because the best teams spend huge amounts of money in small pieces and details imperceptible to most of us and are what make the difference.
Thus, no matter how much you limit the rules budgets are always going to increase, and the bad thing about all this is that we lose of the technical variety and the different solutions that the engineers could bring with more open rules.
hondafan37 is online now  
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3768894)   #69
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Richard Casto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
United States
Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 2,316
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I can't get over excited as the rules are so prescriptive that essentially the same engine is being made by all F1 suppliers. Yes , Honda didn't read the instructions properly but there is little room for genuine innovation. And if we are going to be dropping some of the heavy , expensive and complex energy recovery nonsense we should have a more laissez faire approach - so if Porsche want to do a Flat 4 1.6 turbo and Merc a V8 one they should be allowed to do so.
I have to say, I can't disagree with this more. Particularly using the current Honda situation to make your point.

HUGE chunks of the current F1 power units are extremely prescriptive and prevent creativity and innovation. But in other areas (particularly with respect to the combustion process and more specifically lean burn efficiency) is pretty much open (some restrictions still exist). Honda's problem isn't that they "didn't read the instructions property", rather their failure is in an area of innovation and pure "secret sauce" closely held secrets. Honda (and to a degree until recently Ferrari and still Renault) lost the innovation race to Mercedes and are still trying to figure it out.

I have to get a bit of a chuckle around the "allowing people to innovate" will be the solution to F1's problems. The fact that Mercedes innovations have been so good that nobody else can really figure it out is a large part (other issues exist as well) of why we are where we are today (domination and lack of good racing).

What I think people like is innovation that is something they can touch and feel. Mid-engine cars, ground effects, wings, etc. Those are things that are visually different and people can wrap their mind around them and say "clever, I can see how that might work". But stuff like lean burn pre combustion chambers, flame jet ignition, and now the potential for burning the vapors from special oil additives in the engines to aid in combustion are just... too deep and technical for people to appreciate the cleverness, ingenuity and innovation it represents. It is just a black box that looks just like that other black box the other guy uses.

That is not saying I like the current situation or think we should have a spec solution for everything. I am just saying what you wish for is already here... to a degree.

Note: I feel anymore that all I do is post contrary opinions to other people's posts. I am feeling like I need to take a break from this forum as I don't want to just be "negative" all the time.

Richard
Richard Casto is offline  
__________________
Money can't buy happiness, but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than a Kia.
Quote
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:23 (Ref:3768901)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,161
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
And we all know that this is not true. Rules are more and more limitid over the time, but budgets are getting higher every year.
This is happening because the best teams spend huge amounts of money in small pieces and details imperceptible to most of us and are what make the difference.
Thus, no matter how much you limit the rules budgets are always going to increase, and the bad thing about all this is that we lose of the technical variety and the different solutions that the engineers could bring with more open rules.
If that's not true, why did Max Mosely, when head of the FIA say this?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ependent-teams

Also, earlier this year, why were cost cutting regulations approved, which included cost reduction for customer teams, who had complained the engines are too expensive?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36172295
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3768971)   #71
hondafan37
Veteran
 
hondafan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Posts: 1,296
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If that's not true, why did Max Mosely, when head of the FIA say this?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ependent-teams

Also, earlier this year, why were cost cutting regulations approved, which included cost reduction for customer teams, who had complained the engines are too expensive?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36172295
Those are just statements for the press, there are lots of examples of those and in all categories but it never happens in reality.
hondafan37 is online now  
Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 04:30 (Ref:3768973)   #72
hondafan37
Veteran
 
hondafan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Posts: 1,296
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I have to say, I can't disagree with this more. Particularly using the current Honda situation to make your point.

HUGE chunks of the current F1 power units are extremely prescriptive and prevent creativity and innovation. But in other areas (particularly with respect to the combustion process and more specifically lean burn efficiency) is pretty much open (some restrictions still exist). Honda's problem isn't that they "didn't read the instructions property", rather their failure is in an area of innovation and pure "secret sauce" closely held secrets. Honda (and to a degree until recently Ferrari and still Renault) lost the innovation race to Mercedes and are still trying to figure it out.

I have to get a bit of a chuckle around the "allowing people to innovate" will be the solution to F1's problems. The fact that Mercedes innovations have been so good that nobody else can really figure it out is a large part (other issues exist as well) of why we are where we are today (domination and lack of good racing).

What I think people like is innovation that is something they can touch and feel. Mid-engine cars, ground effects, wings, etc. Those are things that are visually different and people can wrap their mind around them and say "clever, I can see how that might work". But stuff like lean burn pre combustion chambers, flame jet ignition, and now the potential for burning the vapors from special oil additives in the engines to aid in combustion are just... too deep and technical for people to appreciate the cleverness, ingenuity and innovation it represents. It is just a black box that looks just like that other black box the other guy uses.

That is not saying I like the current situation or think we should have a spec solution for everything. I am just saying what you wish for is already here... to a degree.

Note: I feel anymore that all I do is post contrary opinions to other people's posts. I am feeling like I need to take a break from this forum as I don't want to just be "negative" all the time.

Richard
If the innovations of Mercedes were so good why they were so afraid to lift the token system that did not allow the other brands to develop to catch up?

According to Lauda declarations Mercedes has been developing this engine since 2007.

Even if they really have so much advantage in the engine, what did they need to use the fourth engine in Spa with the controversial oil consumption limit of 1.2 liters when the rest of the grid can only use 0.9 in its fourth engine?
hondafan37 is online now  
Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 05:29 (Ref:3768979)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,161
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Those are just statements for the press, there are lots of examples of those and in all categories but it never happens in reality.
Indeed....
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3769025)   #74
coppice
Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Posts: 158
coppice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I have to say, I can't disagree with this more. Particularly using the current Honda situation to make your point.

HUGE chunks of the current F1 power units are extremely prescriptive and prevent creativity and innovation. But in other areas (particularly with respect to the combustion process and more specifically lean burn efficiency) is pretty much open (some restrictions still exist). Honda's problem isn't that they "didn't read the instructions property", rather their failure is in an area of innovation and pure "secret sauce" closely held secrets. Honda (and to a degree until recently Ferrari and still Renault) lost the innovation race to Mercedes and are still trying to figure it out.

I have to get a bit of a chuckle around the "allowing people to innovate" will be the solution to F1's problems. The fact that Mercedes innovations have been so good that nobody else can really figure it out is a large part (other issues exist as well) of why we are where we are today (domination and lack of good racing).

What I think people like is innovation that is something they can touch and feel. Mid-engine cars, ground effects, wings, etc. Those are things that are visually different and people can wrap their mind around them and say "clever, I can see how that might work". But stuff like lean burn pre combustion chambers, flame jet ignition, and now the potential for burning the vapors from special oil additives in the engines to aid in combustion are just... too deep and technical for people to appreciate the cleverness, ingenuity and innovation it represents. It is just a black box that looks just like that other black box the other guy uses.

That is not saying I like the current situation or think we should have a spec solution for everything. I am just saying what you wish for is already here... to a degree.

Note: I feel anymore that all I do is post contrary opinions to other people's posts. I am feeling like I need to take a break from this forum as I don't want to just be "negative" all the time.

Richard
But the differences are tiny and unnoticeable to anybody watching or listening to a car go round the track . Having attended Grands Prix with V8s , V10s running together - and others with straight 4s, v6s and v8s - I find the one size fits all uniformity very dull .

Umm ...I was being tongue in cheek about Honda.
coppice is offline  
Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3769027)   #75
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Richard Casto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
United States
Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 2,316
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
If the innovations of Mercedes were so good why they were so afraid to lift the token system that did not allow the other brands to develop to catch up?
It's a competition. The simple answer is why should they help? Plus good innovation and the ability to keep that innovation a secret are two different things. Imagine if Mercedes had an extremely novel aero approach that produced a significant advantage. It might be very innovative, but at the same time potentially very visible and relatively easy to replicate. The Brawn double diffuser sort of fits that scenario.

The more complex answer is that at some point (after they have dominated for a period of time) they have to protect their investment by keeping the series viable by helping their competitors move forward. Mercedes has publicly said as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
According to Lauda declarations Mercedes has been developing this engine since 2007.
Not sure of the relevance to the discussion, but I would say this is just and example of someone out spending and getting ahead of the competition. It obviously worked for them. Mercedes could have equally dumped a ton of money on the project and not come up with a winning solution (ala Toyota F1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Even if they really have so much advantage in the engine, what did they need to use the fourth engine in Spa with the controversial oil consumption limit of 1.2 liters when the rest of the grid can only use 0.9 in its fourth engine?
I am aware of the oil burn issue. I am only slightly aware of the Spa issue you are talking about. My understanding is that "any" team that brought a new engine to Spa could use the higher burn rate for the duration of that engines life. Others just plan to introduce engines after Spa and will have to use the lower rate. If Mercedes was to have a rash of failures and would need to use a new engine, it would need to meet the new specs. Customer teams who planned to get engines after Spa are a bit screwed, but such is life as a customer team. It's not like they ever had equal equipment to begin with. I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

Again, I am not saying I like the current situation. Just saying that it is all examples of successful innovation by one team and the resulting impact on the other teams and the sport.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Casto; 21 Sep 2017 at 11:47.
Richard Casto is offline  
__________________
Money can't buy happiness, but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than a Kia.
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any differnces between a Porsche carerra cup Porsche and GT3 class Porsche? SALEEN S7R Sportscar & GT Racing 25 6 Feb 2008 21:06
Porsche to Return? "Open" or "Closed"? (merged) JAG Sportscar & GT Racing 54 1 Jun 2004 15:22
Porsche Works return JAG Sportscar & GT Racing 19 18 Jun 2003 06:00
[LM24] When do you think Porsche will return to Le Mans? H16 24 Heures du Mans 3 14 Nov 2001 10:38


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.