Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2015, 02:50 (Ref:3577897)   #151
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Me too, we need real change urgently, well beyond just tinkering with the edges!
Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3578089)   #152
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It may be blind faith on my behalf, but I still believe that McLaren Honda will get the problems sorted out ..

Fernando needs to appologise to Honda at $40 million a year, he needs to apolgise ..
Old 29 Sep 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3578160)   #153
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure at a recent event we had people like Brundle and Herbert talking about how the drivers have no personality, no brand, and saying about how great Lewis is for this. Then Alonso comes out showing a little bit of real character, something many of us would show if put in a similar position and he receives nothing but criticism. Button too, to a certain degree, and even Vettel and Rosburg with the tyres, though in a slightly different manner.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 01:04 (Ref:3578175)   #154
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I'm sympathetic to and I commiserate with Alonso. I don't blame him for his outburst. Goofballs effortlessly sailing past him on the DRS magic carpet must've added kerosine to his frustration. The outburst certainly added a bit intrigue to a pedestrian GP.

But if he winds up shipwrecking the works deal, there's going to be hell to pay.

That has long term implications in a way that being frank over a bad pitwall decision or another driver, just doesn't. It all depends on how philosophical the Honda people are to being shamed on their home turf.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3578225)   #155
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso's a great driver, probably the greatest on the current grid, but he can undoubtedly be a right **** too. Out of the car I think Button is showing him up this season. He's frustrated and considering his future, but he's dealing with it by being (publicly) positive and accepting of the situation, Alonso is equally if not more frustrated, but stropping and slagging off his team isn't constructive is it, especially a public humiliation in Honda's backyard.

Yeah he can say all he likes that radio messages should be private, but all the drivers know they're not, come on.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3578301)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
Button just has a better sense of humour and can make light of the situation without sounding mad or angry about it.

different cultural norms perhaps, but both are equally vocal with their frustrations imo.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3578359)   #157
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I think Alonso has been very cool and diplomatic typically. He's been good in this respect actually.

It was just this one instant that the temperament broke and he let it all out. He had a cascade of cars rushing past him, with light hearted DRS aplomb -- that he was powerless to resist -- and it just drove him mental.

It's also true in that Alonso fancies more wins and is uncomfortable with the fact that he's getting older with time running out to achieve all this, whereas Button is at peace with the idea that retirement isn't far off. They are different men in different spaces mentally.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3578671)   #158
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Jenson and Fernando vs. "Exhaustus"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpvzNFIFkVc

So, I actually think this is funny and enjoyed it. I hope we see more of this type of stuff. But I can envision those on the cynical side saying this is not what they should be focusing on.

If I was to make a single cynical comment it would be that clearly "Exhaustus" has had his revenge as he has stolen the ability for Honda to make hybrid power from the "exhaust".

Richard
Old 2 Oct 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3578779)   #159
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome! Will show that to my 6year old when I get home tonight.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3579887)   #160
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Given:

"I still can't understand why everyone doesn't appreciate you're not going to win a world championship if you have a second-string engine [as a customer team]. It's just not going to happen.
"Therefore we have to go through the pain, we have to go through this learning curve and get a competitive engine." Ron Dennis; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121037

Who is capable of actually winning a GP if Mercedes don't screw up like they did in Singapore?
Old 6 Oct 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3579920)   #161
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Given:

"I still can't understand why everyone doesn't appreciate you're not going to win a world championship if you have a second-string engine [as a customer team]. It's just not going to happen.
"Therefore we have to go through the pain, we have to go through this learning curve and get a competitive engine." Ron Dennis; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121037

Who is capable of actually winning a GP if Mercedes don't screw up like they did in Singapore?
What Ron is saying is that if you don't have a works engine you won't have a chance. So Mercedes, Red Bull (this year)/Renault (next year), Ferrari and McLaren are the only teams with a hope of winning - all the others have customer engines so won't beat a works car with the same brand engine.

Obviously if the works engine you have is crap you still won't win but if you go for being a customer team with the best engine manufacturer you won't win anyway - better to have a works deal and hope your engine partner delivers you the best engine. So unless Ferrari, Renault or Honda make some serious progress over the winter we may as well just hand Mercedes the trophies for next season too.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3579924)   #162
wnut
Veteran

Yes Bert, what Ron is saying is McLaren wants to win and they need a works engine to be allowed to win, he knows he has been a Mercedes customer.

What my problem is with the current technical regulations is the percentage of the units that is being continually frozen and the inability of the competition to be able to compete with Mercedes.

https://www.fia.com/file/22782/download?token=0yN48RON

Refer page 89.

By front end loading all the research and development for the change of rules beginning in 2014; as only a very large manufacturer could have; it would seem that Mercedes has effectively purchased/stolen the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 championships by limiting the amount that competitors can now spend and change in their PUs, and we know that none of the customer cars will be allowed to compete with the works cars, so how many cars can realistically win. One on team orders!

Is it possible to compete with Mercedes when you cannot correct the errors you know you made when you designed your PU in July 2013?

How long can F1 survive this artificial domination?
Old 7 Oct 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3580176)   #163
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at what Mercedes are spending, it looks like either McLaren needs to get some serious third party funding or persuade Honda to commit a huge team budget. I would imagine the Mercedes figures will give Honda a bit of a jolt, if that is what it takes to run right at the front and compete for wins.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3580497)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Honda will introduce a new new ICE, turbo, MGU-H and control electronics for Alonso this weekend but he will have to take a grid penalty, such is F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121198
Old 8 Oct 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3580521)   #165
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I don't see what Alonso will do though, if he leaves McLaren. There aren't any worthwhile F1 seats open for 2016, and I can't see him following the Webber-route into sportscars. Perhaps he'll just have turn professional as a teddy-thrower.
I could have seen him in sportscars.In this video he acknowledges that there are other categories outside Formula 1. This was shortly before Mark Webber announced his move, I think.

Anyway, he now says he's committed to McLaren: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34475768