Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Feb 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3710758)   #91
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Mods: anyway we can drop the 2016 from the title?
Satisfied with the change?
Old 7 Feb 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3710762)   #92
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Satisfied with the change?
Indeed!
Old 7 Feb 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3710797)   #93
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few questions from a Modified Maniac . Don't get to see them much now since I am TOO involved with IMSA.

Years ago the North East Modifieds use to run at Trenton for their so called race of Champions . Sadly no longer there but I seem to recall it was at least a 1 mile track . Is that correct ? The year I was there Neil Bonnet won it driving one of Bobby Allisons Coke sponsored modifieds as I recall it He also won the race ?

Just curious how many big tracks the modifieds have run on over 1 mile ? I can only think of a few in the past 40 years . Pre that before NASCAR 's Now cup cars were often called Modifieds ?

The tracks I can think of were Lime Rock once or twice ?
Daytona Oval and infield course same as IMSA runs . Thinking DW won one of those?
Trenton NJ as I recall had a Kink to it ?
New Hampshire driven by Ryan Newman to at least one win ?
Under 1 mile but the time I saw them at Bristol Tenn on the high banks was quite impressive ?
Old 7 Feb 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3710800)   #94
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They run two races a year at NHMS, that's the only track of at least a mile in length any more. You may have listed them all.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3710806)   #95
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
A few questions from a Modified Maniac . Don't get to see them much now since I am TOO involved with IMSA.

Years ago the North East Modifieds use to run at Trenton for their so called race of Champions . Sadly no longer there but I seem to recall it was at least a 1 mile track . Is that correct ? The year I was there Neil Bonnet won it driving one of Bobby Allisons Coke sponsored modifieds as I recall it He also won the race ?

Just curious how many big tracks the modifieds have run on over 1 mile ? I can only think of a few in the past 40 years . Pre that before NASCAR 's Now cup cars were often called Modifieds ?

The tracks I can think of were Lime Rock once or twice ?
Daytona Oval and infield course same as IMSA runs . Thinking DW won one of those?
Trenton NJ as I recall had a Kink to it ?
New Hampshire driven by Ryan Newman to at least one win ?
Under 1 mile but the time I saw them at Bristol Tenn on the high banks was quite impressive ?
Trenton was originally a half-mile dirt oval, which was then converted into a 1-mile dirt oval that was subsequently paved in 1967. A later revision created the iconic "kidney bean" oval that it's mostly remembered for - the kidney bean oval was 1.5 miles in length.

A couple classics from the Trenton Kidney Bean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJcbsH6ZTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjVi2KljJc
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3758668)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Trenton was originally a half-mile dirt oval, which was then converted into a 1-mile dirt oval that was subsequently paved in 1967. A later revision created the iconic "kidney bean" oval that it's mostly remembered for - the kidney bean oval was 1.5 miles in length.

A couple classics from the Trenton Kidney Bean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJcbsH6ZTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjVi2KljJc
Trenton was changed a few times before paving, and used to be one of AJ Foyt's favorite places to test. My dad has pictures of mid-week testing after flying him down from Nazareth, sadly before my time to join him there.

And another one bites the dust, Irwindale Speedway will close at the end of the year for an outlet shopping mall.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3766383)   #97
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I have read through part of this thread start and end, will some one please put a picture of the type of modifieds it is aimed at.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3766403)   #98
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Old 13 Sep 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3766597)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!

Old 13 Sep 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3766613)   #100
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I hate these sheds on wheels.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3766614)   #101
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I agree, those things are one reason I rarely go to short track races unless the are sprint cars.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3766618)   #102
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I hate these sheds on wheels.
But IMO more fun to watch than asphalt modifieds.

Of course dirt sprint cars are even better.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3766621)   #103
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Disagree entirely on both counts.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3768082)   #104
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I mentioned this in grim reaping thread but worth mentioning here. Ted Christopher, modified legend, quite frankly, died this weekend in a plane crash. He was 59.

Seems that every modified race that I've seen on my TV had Ted in the conversation. Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 23:10 (Ref:3768099)   #105
Nick Woodbury
Racer

United States
Massachusetts, USA
Nick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been going to the Saturday races in both the summer and the fall at New Hampshire Motor Speedway since 2002, and I always remember seeing the black-blue and silver #13 modified...and in later years, his Red #36 competing for wins almost every time. Quite a shock to have found out about his death yesterday. Very sad indeed.

On another note, I'll be making the trip again this coming weekend to Loudon for the Saturday races, and more importantly the last time the circle racers will be coming to Loudon for the September races, so I am sure there will be a fitting service for Ted.