Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Sep 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3765927)   #316
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If you read my posts, I never once claimed it was in the 80s. Nor did anyone else.
ok, there was a mention of 80s truck series just assumed it was then based on the lack of any facts. But so be it 24 years or 30 years its still irrelevant to the current series. Which is the discussion here

Last edited by peckstar; 10 Sep 2017 at 22:57.

well that's my hope
Old 11 Sep 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3765937)   #317
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Most certainly was real, provided some good racing too. Wide World Of Sports even did a feature on it, with Charles Stewart driving the second works backed Nissan Navara alongside Warwick Rooklyn at an Oran Park round of the series

Here's a pic of some of them
Thanks Racer69.

I feared I was going to have to spend the weekend going through old issues of Auto Action to find some proof for Peckstar.

I was at the Sandown race, so as someone who was there I can say they left no lasting impression on me. But the Super Trucks were a sight to see at Sandown through the esses.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3765943)   #318
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!
Here's what we had in the US, 30 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnSYj1hAPs0
Old 24 Sep 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3769553)   #319
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Thanks Racer69.

I feared I was going to have to spend the weekend going through old issues of Auto Action to find some proof for Peckstar.

I was at the Sandown race, so as someone who was there I can say they left no lasting impression on me. But the Super Trucks were a sight to see at Sandown through the esses.
Here's a couple of screengrabs from the WWOS story. Not a huge field and the series didn't last much longer. Charles even carried an onboard camera to give us a look inside

Now does anyone remember the Toyota Landcruiser Ute one-make series that ran alongside the Sports-Utility series supporting the Super Trucks??
Attached Thumbnails
sports utility1.jpg   sports utility2.jpg  
Old 18 Oct 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3774777)   #320
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Sieders confirms at least four SuperUtes

well that's my hope
Old 28 Oct 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3776904)   #321
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watching the SsangYong utes on Speedcafe's streaming, made me wonder how much difference the laptimes of the SuperUtes will be compared to the V8 Utes...?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 02:33 (Ref:3776915)   #322
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Just watching the SsangYong utes on Speedcafe's streaming, made me wonder how much difference the laptimes of the SuperUtes will be compared to the V8 Utes...?
Just further to that, and apologies for quoting myself, but as the replacement to the V8Utes, it's probably important to being in or around their laptimes.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3776919)   #323
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Just further to that, and apologies for quoting myself, but as the replacement to the V8Utes, it's probably important to being in or around their laptimes.
I think there are a few things that are important. however, IMO, they should be fun to drive and fun to watch and that's going to be key to there acceptance.

Watched the utes at bathurst and they are slow, in comparison to supercars, and i really didnt pay much attention to lap times as a result, more how they were to each other

well that's my hope
Old 28 Oct 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3776920)   #324
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Hire karts are fun to drive.

Fun to watch, well speed will play some part in that, no matter what category it is? Is watching a bunch of cars doing a 3:00 minute lap around Bathurst 'fun'?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 03:19 (Ref:3776923)   #325
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Hire karts are fun to drive.

Fun to watch, well speed will play some part in that, no matter what category it is? Is watching a bunch of cars doing a 3:00 minute lap around Bathurst 'fun'?
nah your thinking of the 86's

but yes Hire Karts are fun, and when they are no longer fun we update to the next faster thing

well that's my hope
Old 28 Oct 2017, 03:21 (Ref:3776924)   #326
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
So the SuperUtes will be the next faster thing you think?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3776925)   #327
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Im suggesting that when the superUtes are no longer fun, people will update to something faster (or stop racing).

Currently we have no idea of how fast a SuperUte will be. although i guess the people making them will have some target number, i havent seen it released anywhere.

As i said, that's just my opinion, I know they are slower, so im looking at the entertainment of the racing

By the way, based on other tracks, stadium super trucks would be doing a 2.55 at bathurst

Last edited by peckstar; 28 Oct 2017 at 03:36.

well that's my hope
Old 28 Oct 2017, 04:18 (Ref:3776932)   #328
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I know they are slower, so im looking at the entertainment of the racing
Weren't you adamant in another thread that slower times means a decrease in fan interest in a category? The SuperUtes are being touted as the V8Ute replacement, surely to maintain 'some' level of interest their laptimes would need to be similar or faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
By the way, based on other tracks, stadium super trucks would be doing a 2.55 at bathurst
2:55? With or without jumps? Either way I'm surprised, they'd be on the rev limiter before the first hump on Conrod, surely?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:30 (Ref:3776939)   #329
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Weren't you adamant in another thread that slower times means a decrease in fan interest in a category? The SuperUtes are being touted as the V8Ute replacement, surely to maintain 'some' level of interest their laptimes would need to be similar or faster?

2:55? With or without jumps? Either way I'm surprised, they'd be on the rev limiter before the first hump on Conrod, surely?
Nope, never said that, It was a discussion on the main category, not a support category. different thing all together

just basing it off lap times at other tracks (Clipsal and Darwin)

well that's my hope
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3776940)   #330
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That silly race in October at Bathurst with those GT Falcons and Monaros circulating in 3:00 minutes will never catch on.