Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Silverstone Classic
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

28 Jul 2017 to 30 Jul 2017 08:00 to 18:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

The Biggest Classic Festival in the UK. Among many grids it will include a round of the Jaguar Challenge AND a race for HRDC Academy cars.

HMRN have also confirmed the 'RAC TT' race for Pre 63GT cars and U2TC will each have 50 minute races.

Old 12 Aug 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3758957)   #196
356sc
Racer

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes. I see the repeat on ITV4 is 1000hrs this morn. Don't think I'll be in, but would like to watch that race again. Got the impression that one car was involved in a few of the 'contacts', but may be wrong.....
A burgundy coloured car by any chance?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 12 Aug 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3758967)   #197
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
You could be right.....
Old 17 Aug 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3759960)   #198
356sc
Racer

United Kingdom
Camberley
Mike/Zeff....clearly since you did this at LMC, the car thinks it needs to deploy an air brake at every event!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	50308
Mag 7's #60
Old 17 Aug 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3759963)   #199
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Mike/Zeff....clearly since you did this at LMC, the car thinks it needs to deploy an air brake at every event!!!

Attachment 50308
Yes! I think that once again it had been going backwards- at some point previous to the air brake deploying.....
Old 17 Aug 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3759985)   #200
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a second a lap quicker with lid up!
Need to spin it first to get it to open.
Won class,handicap and drum break classes
Not bad and 11 sec a lap quicker than other 356's
Due to change owners in two weeks
Present owner wants a Speedster or Lotus11
Old 17 Aug 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3760011)   #201
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's a second a lap quicker with lid up!
Need to spin it first to get it to open.
Won class,handicap and drum break classes
Not bad and 11 sec a lap quicker than other 356's
Due to change owners in two weeks
Present owner wants a Speedster or Lotus11
Nice one John. Hope new owner enjoys the car!

On a different note, I made a comment about driving standards in the Masters Sportscars race several post back, after watching the ITV prog. This is an extract from a long email from Ron Maydon, sent to all Masters competitors today....

"Following the recent incidents at the Silverstone Classic event in the FIA Masters Historic Sports Car race, I felt that I needed to write to all our Members concerning the conduct of drivers and teams both on and off the track, which I felt fell to an unacceptably low level at that event. I feel that the Silverstone incidents were a low ebb in Masters’ otherwise excellent history.

I have asked the permanent FIA Steward, John Naylor, to clamp down on all on-track and off-track incidents from now onwards and a new discipline enforcement regime began at the Nurburgring, which the majority of drivers and preparers racing at that event applauded and welcomed as being overdue."

That's sufficient without going into detail. Glad I wasn't the only one unimpressed!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3760019)   #202
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nice one John. Hope new owner enjoys the car!

On a different note, I made a comment about driving standards in the Masters Sportscars race several post back, after watching the ITV prog. This is an extract from a long email from Ron Maydon, sent to all Masters competitors today....

"Following the recent incidents at the Silverstone Classic event in the FIA Masters Historic Sports Car race, I felt that I needed to write to all our Members concerning the conduct of drivers and teams both on and off the track, which I felt fell to an unacceptably low level at that event. I feel that the Silverstone incidents were a low ebb in Masters’ otherwise excellent history.

I have asked the permanent FIA Steward, John Naylor, to clamp down on all on-track and off-track incidents from now onwards and a new discipline enforcement regime began at the Nurburgring, which the majority of drivers and preparers racing at that event applauded and welcomed as being overdue."

That's sufficient without going into detail. Glad I wasn't the only one unimpressed!
Mike

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to be impressed by the calm and reasoned manner that you (and Ron Maydon) have commented on / dealt with this issue. Thank you. Jcdeleted
Old 18 Aug 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3760108)   #203
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron Maydon is one of good guys and will sort situation.
I watched race as had a major interest in one of cars that turned into a demolition derby.
The bloke in B8 baffled me who dragged his damaged rear bodywork for three laps before coming into pits then wondering why he wasn't allowed to continue disputes having no rear bodywork.
Enough been said about situation at front
Probably all started when they allowed continuation cars or faked ,reengineered jobs etc
If Ron adopted Patrick Peters CER rules that may stop some of the nonsense.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3760123)   #204
zefarelly
Veteran

England
good old Sussex by the sea
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gareth copying my tricks eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post

Attachment 50308
Old 21 Aug 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3760702)   #205
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eventually got round to getting my vid from Sundays action at the Classic sorted if anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/l_tf3NZsLEA
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3771719)   #206
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone give me a rough idea of prices for the weekend for this year's event? I've googled the usual sites but that sort of info isn't forthcoming.

I'm a regular at Goodwood but thought I'd have a change next year - the Silverstone meeting seems to offer the racing and paddock (albeit a very crowded paddock - no elitism at Silverstone!) without all the ballyhoo and poseurs, and what I think would be a cheaper cost.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3771752)   #207
356sc
Racer

United Kingdom
Camberley
From memory the 3 day weekend ticket was £99 if you bought it early.
Mag 7's #60
Old 4 Oct 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3771878)   #208
The SpeCTator
Racer

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats about the right price, if you are a member of a car club there are discounts available too.
You will see much more track time action at Silverstone but you may miss the pedal cars and speeches.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3771995)   #209
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Thats about the right price, if you are a member of a car club there are discounts available too.
You will see much more track time action at Silverstone but you may miss the pedal cars and speeches.
I was thinking along those lines.

I'm a man with permanently rose-tinted specs, and I love Goodwood because it still looks roughly the same as my beloved 50s/60s, but if it's racing I'm after, then it might as well be a whole lot cheaper. Plus I bet the local accomodation is better value than West Sussex.

Maybe my purse can stretch to both.............
Old 6 Oct 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3772312)   #210
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enter as a competitor..it's cheaper.
No really, an old pal was demonstrating historic karts year before last and got the full competitor ticket package including car pass for £35!