Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Sep 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3765284)   #346
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2017 as a whole hasn't been kind to Strakka
Old 8 Sep 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3765505)   #347
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading the words and analyzing the reflections of John Gaw, the Managing Director for Motorsport at Prodrive (Aston Martin Racing), I came to my mind the great battles between GT3 and GT2 in the 24 hours of Spa and 24 hours of Nurburgring of 6, 7 or 8 years ago.
Quote:
Gaw said:
“I think it’s important as the LMP1 issue gets sorted, we don’t lose sight of the opportunity that GT has, and we find a way to maximize the exposure of that to continue to attract new manufacturers.”
“There’s five manufacturers racing in GTE,” he told Sportscar365. “It’s obviously going quite well because there’s more manufacturers coming. There’s more manufacturers interested. So there’s nothing broken about GTE, I don’t think.
“The U.S. do GT-only races. I’m not saying that would work for WEC but there’s other ways of doing it.
“I’m in support of anything that improves the show for the manufacturers. Manufacturers go racing to sell cars and that’s how the race teams get budgets.
“Anything that helps that is a good thing.”
While in general support of the shift to a winter season, Gaw feels it won’t lead to as drastic of a cost reduction for some teams as initially projected.
“Cutting costs is an interesting subject,” Gaw said. “The main costs are not the actual, physical racing costs. The main costs are development, overheads, people, equipment. The number of races really don’t affect that.
“For teams like Ford or ourselves and some of the LMP2 teams that are based at Silverstone, dropping the Silverstone race doesn’t really affect the budget for the year.
“But if it keeps the championship alive and progressing and going forward, I am. it does.
“LMP1 is part the World Endurance Championship. It’s part of the family and the way things work. It has to be kept and the Super Season will help it.
“I just think what we have to do at the same time is not just focus on saving LMP1. We have to focus on maximizing a brilliant GT [class].
“If there’s no show for them to activate behind and therefore sell cars, then the marketing budgets become tighter and you get less manufacturers. So you want to maximize it so the future is secure.”
Analyzing these words I understand that he is not happy with the Super calendar of the WEC and that only was taken into account the emergency of LMP1 for this schedule, without considering the good moment of GTE.
We all know that the ACO never had a great affinity to the GT.
Ratel is the GT Man, I think that with a good BOP between GT3 PRO and GTE would be very interesting to admit GTE in Monza, Silverstone and Spa Francorchamps, and take advantage of the opportunity that the ACO leaves aside.
We could have a big battle between Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Ford, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Bentley, McLaren and Lamborguini, taking all GT factory equipment together. We only need Corvette that they only race Le Mans in Europe.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/g...unity-for-gte/
Old 8 Sep 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3765507)   #348
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
You're totally right. Who was in that seat before then?
Misano: #42 Leventis/Williamson, #44 Hezemans/Kane
Brand Hatch: #42 Fumanelli/Williamson, #44 Hezemans/Kane
Zolder: #42 Fumanelli/Williamson, #43 Kane/Ledogar
Budapest:#42 Kodric/Williamson
Nürburgring: #42 Kodric/Williamson, #43 Kane/Schothorst

The other cars have been Barnicoat/Parente and Watson/Bell for all previous Sprint rounds, with Ledogar replacing Parente at the Nürburgring.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3765513)   #349
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
Misano: #42 Leventis/Williamson, #44 Hezemans/Kane

Brand Hatch: #42 Fumanelli/Williamson, #44 Hezemans/Kane

Zolder: #42 Fumanelli/Williamson, #43 Kane/Ledogar

Budapest:#42 Kodric/Williamson

Nürburgring: #42 Kodric/Williamson, #43 Kane/Schothorst

The other cars have been Barnicoat/Parente and Watson/Bell for all previous Sprint rounds, with Ledogar replacing Parente at the Nürburgring.

Thanks marcel, I was unimpressed with Hezemans, a bit too crash prone. I thought

Fumanelli was a bit better but nothing to shout about.

Leventis was gentlemanly to give up his seat in his team, very much entitled to a place in his own team if he so wished.

What ever happened to the Am Craig Fleming, he ran in a few Enduros at the start of the year I think

All in all it's been a bit trial and error for the Strakka team this year in terms of drivers

That said they have gained Barnicoat who has been a real stand out of several occasions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 Sep 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3767378)   #350
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6N1eix7P8

Anyone who has an hour to kill, watch the Ring qualifying race. Great battle for the lead. Very odd stewards call right at the end mind you.

Edit: Ok after seeing the replay I guess I can see where the penalty came from for the Lambo.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 16 Sep 2017 at 14:17.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3767389)   #351
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

I forgot about this geoblocking ****...
Old 16 Sep 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3767398)   #352
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frankly, I have been less than impressed with the steward decisions in Blancpain, and this is another example.

GRT #19 gets a 1 second penalty.
Bentley #8 also cuts the chicane and gets no penalty.
One of #84, #8 or #5 runs into the back of the #19 (hence the flapping rear bodywork) but that is allowed.

I agree with Andrea Caldarelli, this is bullshit.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3767406)   #353
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Lamborghini penalty I'm not 100% sure on, as it was clearly meant to cost it the victory. But when it skipped the chicane it wasn't defending against the Mercedes that inherited the win. I understand why they wanted to penalise it, but it doesn't work work because that isn't who it was defending against.

The #8 Bentley shouldn't have been penalised. The only reason it skipped the chicane was because the Lambo blocked so aggressively (but legally) and put both cars in a position where they were never going to be able to slow down enough. The Bentley lost 2 positions from it too, whilst the Lambo kept the lead. So I don't see why the Bentley should be penalised, no matter what they did to the Lambo.

It was the Audi who nibbled the bodywork of the Lambo. Don't think we seen it on screen, but it happened whilst the Audi was second. Also not overly impressed with Fasslers comments regarding blocking. He said the Lambo blocked too aggressively (which suggests he was the one who damaged the back of the Lambo), but on the last lap he ran the Bentley off the road twice. Is there anything more aggressive than running a car off the road?

Dramatic and fun finish, but a bit odd.

GT4 support race about to begin -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FgpFMdLfKA

Last edited by Akrapovic; 16 Sep 2017 at 15:53.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3767423)   #354
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not sure who ran into the Lambo. I also suspected it was Fassler. Anyhow, the one who did was allowed to do so by the stewards.

Bauman got penalised for running in the back of Frijns who then ran into the back of Bell.
Someone pushed Bortolotti around - also on the first lap - but that seems to be OK.

You could argue that both the Lamo and the Bentley lost time - instead of gaining time - by cutting that part of the chicane. The Bentley lost a position (or two, can't remember) because it had cars following.
Still, they committed the same crime and should receive the same penalty IMO.
Not that it would have mattered much for the result of the Bentley, but it at least have been consistent.

Consistency is what I have missed in the decision making of Blancpain this year.

I'm going to give the GT4 race a miss. I have some work to do and I would like to watch the WEC race later today.
(And the Blancpain sprint and F1 and Indycar tomorrow)
Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3767427)   #355
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
This is the official steward decision report.

I am not sure which comes first, but I guess the yellow pages at the end of the PDF file.

There it says (on p5 and p6) for car 8 and car 19 respectively: cut chicane, without advantage.

p2 mentions: car 19 and 8 cut the chicane. car 19 gain advantage.
p1 gives hands out the penalty, and mentions the wrong driver name (Caldarelli instead of Perez Companc)

Hard to be impressed by all that.
(And then I haven't even complained that they can't spell the word chicane)
Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3767428)   #356
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Well 19 did get an advantage. They kept the lead by cutting the chicane. The 8 didn't get an advantage - it lost 2 positions. So no chance the Bentley should be penalised, they lost out. The Lambo only kept the lead because of the aggressive block, which meant they cut the chicane.

The problem I have with it is the penalty puts the Lambo behind the Mercedes. But the Mercedes wasn't the one trying to pass it.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3767443)   #357
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I'm not really sure 19 gained an advantage. It kept a position it already had. Did it gain vs 5 and 84? I think both got closer after the chicane then they were before.

I don't know it the gap between 19 and 8 grew or stayed the same.

If it stayed the same, then what did 19 gain which it did not already have?

Cutting chicanes and how to 'correct' that is dealt with rather inconsistently. Not only in Blancpain but in most forms of Motorsport. Sometimes it is deemed enough to make sure the gap between the offender and the following car is kept the same (Monza), sometimes it is not.

Re: Bentley punishment. If the yellow papers are the original reports (I guess so), then both are found guilty of the same crime (cutting the chicane without advantage).
One gets punished, the other not.
That reports makes no mention of advantage gained, quite the contrary, it explicitly mentioned: without advantage. Somehow that gets changed to 'with advantage' further in the chain.

Messy.
Or bullshit.

Not how it should be, anyway...
Old 16 Sep 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3767459)   #358
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
It kept a position it already had. - that is usually enough for a penalty. But usually they just move it behind the car it 'kept' behind. They couldn't do that because the Bentley lost 2 spots.

Gap between the 19 and 8 certainly grew. The 8 went from on its bumper to two cars behind it, so that gap certainly went up. There's absolutely no doubt that the Bentley lost out and gained no advantage, as it lost two positions. It's debatable for the Lambo. The 1 second penalty just feels...convenient.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Worried the Mercedes will drive off into the distance now. It was rapid.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3767624)   #359
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6N1eix7P8

Anyone who has an hour to kill, watch the Ring qualifying race. Great battle for the lead. Very odd stewards call right at the end mind you.

Edit: Ok after seeing the replay I guess I can see where the penalty came from for the Lambo.

Cheers. Decided to watch GT Masters as they both overlapped
Old 17 Sep 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3767943)   #360
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
More absolutely terrible stewarding. At least they're consistently crap.