Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Jan 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3702603)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
It doesn't follow that the sons are anywhere near as good at, or indeed interested in, running the race tracks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3702624)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!
Valid point and exemplifies my concern. Britten is no longer a director, I don't know if Ogden is just an investor-director (sleeping partner) but think he might be - so what's the succession plan?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3702706)   #18
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Valid point and exemplifies my concern. Britten is no longer a director, I don't know if Ogden is just an investor-director (sleeping partner) but think he might be - so what's the succession plan?
Immortality!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3702709)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
With the lease being for 21 years I would guess that will reach to about the time that motorsport in the UK disappears as far as large facilities are concerned.

Thus succession, as far as motorpsort is concerned, may not be an issue.

The secondary problem is that as one moves through the generation of a family the number of people being supported by the "family business", even if it is publically owned in theory, starts to weigh heavily on the decisions made since all feel somewhat entitled to a slice of the revenue.

Selling up can be a good way to avoid family ructions - thus continuity again becomes a non-issue.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3702740)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Immortality!
Ah, like Bernie, of course <facepalm>
Old 15 Jan 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3702787)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On another forum, it was pointed out that Bedford is actually owned by St Modwen, and that there is a published master plan to develop in to a new stand alone village.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3702972)   #22
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that but it actually says that St Modwen is one of the owners of the former airfield and MSV is the other.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3702985)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is clear now why JP has done all this. He only owns a third of MSV I think. So sells Bedford or at least puts it forward for development of a housing deal that no council on earth would turn down

Buys France site, develops that on the profits from running BSB and all the tracks, plus other business interests and investment no doubt. SO he can also hit the ground running when Bedford goes, plus if you want to go there from UK you will go for a weekend as it's close but not close enough to drive in a day for most, thereby making him more money as you will stay either there or nearby. Also makes it easier to get to for rest of Europe, very clever idea.

Sells Bedford for housing for a no doubt gigantic sum. Retires.

Nice work if you can get it. He does a good job, his school and experience days I gather are the best around, so really how can you blame the man.

He is reaping the dividends of simply doing the basics well which most tracks don't do, not ripping people off and not selling his soul out to ridiculous hosting fees so his tracks at least try and make a profit.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3703005)   #24
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It is clear now why JP has done all this. He only owns a third of MSV I think. So sells Bedford or at least puts it forward for development of a housing deal that no council on earth would turn down

Buys France site, develops that on the profits from running BSB and all the tracks, plus other business interests and investment no doubt. SO he can also hit the ground running when Bedford goes, plus if you want to go there from UK you will go for a weekend as it's close but not close enough to drive in a day for most, thereby making him more money as you will stay either there or nearby. Also makes it easier to get to for rest of Europe, very clever idea.

Sells Bedford for housing for a no doubt gigantic sum. Retires.

Nice work if you can get it. He does a good job, his school and experience days I gather are the best around, so really how can you blame the man.

He is reaping the dividends of simply doing the basics well which most tracks don't do, not ripping people off and not selling his soul out to ridiculous hosting fees so his tracks at least try and make a profit.
Very prophetic!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3703008)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice theory, except these types of businessmen rarely retire. Their life is their business and they carry on. In the case of Bernie, on and on and on...
Old 16 Jan 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3703024)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
.....He only owns a third of MSV I think....
Not so.
A few minutes with google will tell you that MSV is 100% part of MSV Group.
MSV Group has 2 shareholders, JP being one and he holds over 75%.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3703039)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got the info about three folks owning MSV from the same place I think

But I stand corrected

It matters not, but fill your boots. You usually do.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3703045)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Well apart from the fact that all the 'prophecies' here are pure fiction there's one thing that's been overlooked.

I hold to the future theory propounded by James May. The internal combustion engine will go the way of the horse - mostly driven off the road and kept for leisure purposes only. This will cement the importance of the race circuit or airfield venue in motoring - the only place for petrol heads to exercise their horse (power). I foresee a strong future for track days, race meetings and car meets at existing and maybe even new venues.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jan 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3703075)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well apart from the fact that all the 'prophecies' here are pure fiction there's one thing that's been overlooked.

I hold to the future theory propounded by James May. The internal combustion engine will go the way of the horse - mostly driven off the road and kept for leisure purposes only. This will cement the importance of the race circuit or airfield venue in motoring - the only place for petrol heads to exercise their horse (power). I foresee a strong future for track days, race meetings and car meets at existing and maybe even new venues.
But how do you get your toy there?

And where do you get fuel?

(Both at an affordable cost for the mass market obviously. For the super rich it won't matter so much.)

And then there is the question - why would you care about ICE power when an electric toy is likely to be so much quicker?

And so much more acceptable to the locals in terms of noise ...
Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3703128)   #30
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the same reason that people like analogue watches, vinyl records, manual gearboxes - there is something about internal combustion engines that stirs the soul.

Its why my day job is spent restoring classic Italian cars, mostly from the 1950's-70's occasionally much earlier, despite being superseded in all aspects that can be quantified and compared against current cars.