Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Sep 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3766144)   #496
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcarbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcarbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It makes sense in WEC terms because 5 cars that are in with the LMP2s are legitimately detracting from the race in more ways than one.

If you're Nissan and still have any interest in Le Mans whatsoever it would be silly to not seriously pursue finding a car to put their LMP1 engine in now that they don't need a hybrid.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3766145)   #497
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean, besides the StuckByTheSideOfTheCourseKolles?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3766147)   #498
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Right, and nothing is confirmed yet. But the boss says he feels they'll be more on the grid next year than this year. Even if it's 5, that's more than the current 4.
There could be a big difference with what is on the full season entry list and what turns up for the various races (excluding guest entries). WEC has lots of previous experiences like that and I don't expect anything else this time around.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3766148)   #499
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
You mean, besides the StuckByTheSideOfTheCourseKolles?
Nissan could throw them a little bit of money and a driver and it'd go well. This year if it just survived and went without incident, it would have won Le Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
There could be a big difference with what is on the full season entry list and what turns up for the various races (excluding guest entries). WEC has lots of previous experiences like that and I don't expect anything else this time around.
Ok? I think he made it clear, "enter the whole wec, or no Le Mans".
Old 11 Sep 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3766157)   #500
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paying the full season entry fee and actually showing up for all the races is a big difference, I'm sure you are aware of that.

Nothing will stop entrants to sign on for the full season and then drop out after LM 2018 (or any later point). I'm sure it will be frowned upon by the ACO but as long as they're French (in case of a privateer) or a manufacturers (that bring in much more money than just the full season entry fee) they'll be invited back again in the future.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3766163)   #501
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Basically like you just said, why would a team purposely screw themselves of a future entry? The season is reduced just to keep these types of teams onboard with a smaller budget and commitment.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3766171)   #502
Coach Ep
Veteran

Ever heard of funding....?

Contrary to your beliefs the 2018-2019 season will require a similar budget as this season as the lower travel costs (sea freight instead of air) are offset by a substantial higher number of racing hours.

Not like it has never happened before (Rebellion for instance).
Old 13 Sep 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3766574)   #503
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Potrero de los Funes is certainly a track where a "new classic" event can be built up from the ground.

I don't see that being the case with a circuit like Termas de Rio Hondo.
But Termas has local government support, and Potrero doesn't...
Old 13 Sep 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3766594)   #504
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But Termas has local government support, and Potrero doesn't...
That should change. Potrero is a better track and location (in terms of the view) imo.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3766638)   #505
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know why it's automatic to think that longer races automatically mean more costs? The big costs even for LMP1 cars isn't tires or replacement parts. The biggest expense by far is probably trying to move people and equipment around the world and provide room and board for them.

That's the advantage that IMSA and the LMS have taking place in North America and Europe respectively. Less distance to travel, cheaper room and board. Not to mention that most IMSA and LMS teams have less people and equipment to move as well.

That's probably why even if going from air to sea freight that budgets probably won't go down a ton. Logistical cost eased a bit, yes, but you're still move the same number of people and the same amount of equipment around, and you need a place to put all of that during the race week.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3766646)   #506
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Woodside, CA
Mike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've received 2 quotes for running the 2018-2019 season in GTE-Am and P2, they're both higher than the quotes I got from the same people for 2017. Maybe they just like me less this time... :-)

-mike
Old 13 Sep 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3766647)   #507
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Considering the transitional nature of '18-'19, I'm not surprised.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3766676)   #508
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
Two things:

1. This schedule includes TWO LM 24's.

2. Currently, we have LM plus 8 six-hour races spread over 7 months. The next season is, by run-time, LM plus 10 six-hour races, spread over a little more than 13 months.

Even if the overall budget is higher, the rate at which funds are spent per unit time should be lower.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3766688)   #509
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
It's the classic problem. You try to save money, but to do so you have to spend more in the short term.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3766694)   #510
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Take this with a grain of salt until it's officially announced, but it's thought, per SC365, that the open slot on the WEC's calendar for '18/19 may've gone to Silverstone. Per that site's Wednesday COTA notebook.

This is reportedly after negotiations between Interlagos and Mexico City promoters went nowhere. If Silverstone gets the nod, the race will be in August of next year.