Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3739193)   #1
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 v's Supercar v's SuperTouring v's TCR - The Ultimate Thread

Hypothetically if Supercars were to acquire AGT could that open the route to SuperGT specfications?
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3739195)   #2
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,220
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 v's Supercar v's SuperTouring- The Ultimate Thread

Out of curiosity, what would buying AGT actually cost in $$?

The regulations are FIA regs, the title is a CAMS title, and doesn't having the category management rights to the "Australian GT Championship" mainly entail you forking out fee's to CAMS for the right to hold the category management rights?

Would the seller just be looking to get back their fee to CAMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Hypothetically if Supercars were to acquire AGT could that open the route to SuperGT specfications?
No

The outright SuperGT class is aligning it's regulations with the DTM. The secondary GT300 class already includes GT3 cars anyway.
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3739196)   #3
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Out of curiosity, what would buying AGT actually cost in $$?

The regulations are FIA regs, the title is a CAMS title, and doesn't having the category management rights to the "Australian GT Championship" mainly entail you forking out fee's to CAMS for the right to hold the category management rights?

Would the seller just be looking to get back their fee to CAMS?



No

The outright SuperGT class is aligning it's regulations with the DTM. The secondary GT300 class already includes GT3 cars anyway.
Okay thanks I meant as in a two class system one with the outrights which now are aligned with DTM and the other with GT3

Last edited by PS2244; 7 Jun 2017 at 09:51.
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3739201)   #4
rich07
Veteran
 
rich07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Australia
Victoria
Posts: 7,891
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Okay thanks I meant as in a two class system one with the outrights which now are aligned with DTM and the other with GT3


We're looking at cutting costs here for Gen2, going down the Class One rules route is going the opposite direction. Ah the Germans and the Japanese will never merge and that's good because Super GT is fine by itself without ITR getting involved and forcing its self interests on GTA.
rich07 is offline  
__________________
Somebody asked if the McLaren F1 was going to be like the Ferrari F40, Gordon Murray replied, "I don't think so, there's no one at McLaren who can weld that badly."
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3739230)   #5
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
South Kingsville, VIC
Posts: 4,068
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both the DTM and SuperGT cars are squillion dollar cars supported by the largesse of heir home markets, neither of these rulesets could sensibly run here, IMO.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3739234)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,793
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd bring most teams to their knees if a DTM/SGT car was trashed the way some Supercars have been in the recent past.

And some people think the outright costs of a CotF chassis are eye-watering...
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3739241)   #7
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You'd bring most teams to their knees if a DTM/SGT car was trashed the way some Supercars have been in the recent past.

And some people think the outright costs of a CotF chassis are eye-watering...
So your saying that financially it wouldn't be viable to run a SuperGT/DTM spec based series here then?
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3739246)   #8
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,220
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
So your saying that financially it wouldn't be viable to run a SuperGT/DTM spec based series here then?
Not unless manufacturers were willing to spend BTCC-Super Touring style money... and manufacturers have never really been willing to do that in Australia

There aren't really any non-manufacturer backed teams in DTM or SuperGT, whereas that has always been a priority in Australian racing.
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3739247)   #9
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Not unless manufacturers were willing to spend BTCC-Super Touring style money... and manufacturers have never really been willing to do that in Australia

There aren't really any non-manufacturer backed teams in DTM or SuperGT, whereas that has always been a priority in Australian racing.
Oh okay that clears things up so by that statement I'd assume that the lack of manufacturer investment stems from our relatively small population and lack of a domestic car industry then?
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3739251)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,793
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
So your saying that financially it wouldn't be viable to run a SuperGT/DTM spec based series here then?
Hell no.

It would absolutely not be sustainable at all.

We tried the abovementioned Super Touring here, and it didn't work. Even the 3 factory teams were scraping through, recycling parts, stretching the life out of everything. Not to mention that at the time, the new car market was dominated by Commodore and Falcon. The only people that followed it were those who were BTCC fans, and disillusioned Group A followers.
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3739253)   #11
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Hell no.

It would absolutely not be sustainable at all.

We tried the abovementioned Super Touring here, and it didn't work. Even the 3 factory teams were scraping through, recycling parts, stretching the life out of everything. Not to mention that at the time, the new car market was dominated by Commodore and Falcon. The only people that followed it were those who were BTCC fans, and disillusioned Group A followers.
Oh yes right I do remember the Super Touring Championship from 93'-02' man was that an abrupt failure thats a good point it was very unsustainable in terms of costs
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3739256)   #12
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,220
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Oh okay that clears things up so by that statement I'd assume that the lack of manufacturer investment stems from our relatively small population and lack of a domestic car industry then?
We have had lots of manufacturer investment over the years, but we've also had lots of privateers willing & wanting to compete, and over the years they became the backbone of the local touring car scene. Australia also caught on early that manufacturers, no matter how much they spend, come and go and couldn't be relied upon.

The European mentality to touring car racing has always been the opposite though, with little emphasis on the privateers (though that has changed in the BTCC over the last 10 or so years at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Oh yes right I do remember the Super Touring Championship from 93'-02' man was that an abrupt failure thats a good point it was very unsustainable in terms of costs
I wouldn't say it was an abrupt failure, it lasted longer than alot of other Super Touring Championships around the world, and in 1996 the V8s really did see it as a worrying rival.
TOCA Australia gave it a good go, it just didn't work out.
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 00:01 (Ref:3739568)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran
 
D.R.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location:
Sydeny
Posts: 8,616
D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Oh yes right I do remember the Super Touring Championship from 93'-02' man was that an abrupt failure thats a good point it was very unsustainable in terms of costs
What is your definition of an abrupt failure?
D.R.T. is online now  
__________________
Upon entry into the Bathurst 1000, it should be mandatory to view the compelling "Moffat - Man and the Mountain" film
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 00:12 (Ref:3739571)   #14
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,848
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
What is your definition of an abrupt failure?
Well, as you are a person who does not recognise the supercars bathurst 1000 as a continuation of the traditional Bathurst 1000.

Then super tourers killed the bathurst 1000 in just two years. that's a pretty massive failure I would think, with the short time frame i would even call that an abrupt failure
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 01:29 (Ref:3739579)   #15
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 1,751
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Well, as you are a person who does not recognise the supercars bathurst 1000 as a continuation of the traditional Bathurst 1000.

Then super tourers killed the bathurst 1000 in just two years. that's a pretty massive failure I would think, with the short time frame i would even call that an abrupt failure
Certainly didn't attract the crowds and came to an sudden halt.

Despite excellent racing at both 1000 a definite failure. We wouldn't see such failures repeated in Australian motorsport until the debacles of China, Bahrain, Texas and Abu Dhabi.

All pretty massive failures.
chavez is offline  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gt3 Rs & Gt3 R Omega-Red Sportscar & GT Racing 18 27 Nov 2003 17:55
SuperTouring Vs New BTCC ADnet WTCC & European Touring Car Series 13 5 Jun 2003 08:14
SuperTouring web site supertouring Cool Sites 10 15 May 2003 15:42
BMW 3 series (Supertouring) alesi95 Motorsport History 1 27 Jun 2002 12:24


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.